The MT-07 Forum

XSR900 fever!

SkH

I think my new motorcycle purchase is finally coming to a head.

XSR900 is right around the corner, I think it is 80% destined that I am going that way.  Although nearly 2k OTD less if I go on a 2015 FZ09.  So who knows?

x10.jpg

OEM accessories for it is absurdly expensive though.  That aluminum seat cowl is 350 bucks (well, 400+ if you buy from yamaha).  Good news is all the low hanging exhausts from FZ09 should fit the XSR, so have a wide variety of options there.  No carbon fiber exhausts for that motorcycle... thinking about Ixil hyperlow in black...

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Now I'm torn.

I made the very big mistake of going to my local motorcycle dealership even though I know they still didn't have the XSR on the floor.

First of all, I sat on the FZ09. No matter how much I try to make it look better in my mind, I just can't help it, that thing is very ugly. Even in person. I mean, most of the time, things look better in person. But I just couldn't see it. The FZ09 is ugly in person just as much as it is in pictures. So I don't think I would get the FZ09 no matter how much money I can save if I were to get that. But the seat height. The seat height was killing me. And my understanding is the XSR900 is higher than the FZ09. Not by much, but still, the FZ09 felt uncomfortably high when I straightened out the bike. So now I'm worried.

But here was my bigger mistake. I have the hots for the Z1000. Oddly enough I classify it as a dream bike. Reliability is a huge thing for me, for that, all those Italian bikes score low on my dream factor. And what is even worse is that my dealership is having a sale on this Z1000, it normally goes for 12k but it is just 500 bucks more than the XSR900 without haggling (so hopefully it will go lower). And then I sat on it... the thing is just about the same height as the FZ07. Actually for some odd reason it felt lower. And the specs sheet it is supposed to be 32.1 inches, but I have no idea why it felt lower than the FZ07. And the horrible kawasaki green color aside, the thing is gorgeous. I will admit though it is heavy as ****.

Here is the thing. I have more fun with the R3 than I do on my FZ07. I particularly enjoy screaming the engine to redline to shift. Something that feels horrendous on the FZ07, as obviously it wasn't meant to redline due to its powerband. And seeing as the FZ09/XSR900 is just a stronger version of the FZ07 where it is low to med powerband... while the Z1000 is closer to a supersport, high revver but without the horrible supersport ergonomics (I sat on an R6 as well, I couldn't stomach how horrible the aggressive posture was). Ugh.

Man, this first world problem is killing me!

• Premium Member

I sold my '14 Ninja 1000 for an FZ-07. I only had it 6 months. The Ninja is awesome... for about 5 seconds at a time. By then your elbow deep in "OhMyGodI'mGoingToJail (or Die)" territory. The FZ is more fun, and at a little over 100lbs. lighter, easier to throw around. The only thing I really miss is the windscreen.... and the 160mph top speed.

- Andy

I sold my '14 Ninja 1000 for an FZ-07. I only had it 6 months. The Ninja is awesome... for about 5 seconds at a time. By then your elbow deep in "OhMyGodI'mGoingToJail (or Die)" territory. The FZ is more fun, and at a little over 100lbs. lighter, easier to throw around. The only thing I really miss is the windscreen.... and the 160mph top speed.
Wonder if that's the grass is greener syndrome.  I have had the FZ07 for coming on 2 years now and I would rather jump on my wife's R3.  Don't get me wrong, I will continue to own the FZ07, I'm looking to add a 3rd bike.  What I'm now concerned about is the redundancy of 2 torquey bikes.  Having both the FZ07 and what is essentially an FZ09 as both of my bikes... that seems redundant, no? 
If you were able to have both Ninja 1000 AND the FZ07, would you still jump on your Ninja to break things up?

• Premium Member

I brought up the Ninja because you mentioned its cousin the Z. Sure, if I still had it, I'd ride it. But the FZ is a better bike for what I do. It sounds like you prefer the smaller bikes as well, so the XSR and even the Z might be the wrong direction.
I was even looking at the 09, but that's almost as big a hooligan as the Ninja. I like going fast, maybe I just prefer getting there a little slower, if that makes sense. Any of these will take a lot of the cars on the road anyway. :)

- Andy

• Global Moderator

I sat on an XSR900 at a motorcycle show and I was very surprised at how much taller it was than the FZ-09. I am 6'1" and could just barely flat foot it.  They had one at my local dealership when I was there on Saturday. It does look great. 

AlbatrossCafe
lol this is exactly how I felt on my CBR 600. Jail & death thoughts were common. The CBR was very fun in short bursts, where the FZ-07 is pretty fun for longer bursts. For me, it's more fun to ride a (slower) bike fast than ride a fast bike slow. Having an inline-4 1000cc bike and being limited to street speed limits just makes you feel like you are crawling. It's like if on the FZ you were limited to 40mph on the highway. 
BTW your small-font "160mph top speed" had me rollin HAHA. I'm in the same boat.

twowheeladdict

Personally, I don't understand having multiple bikes that are in the same category. Variety is the spice of life.

I bought the FZ-07 to have a fun lightweight bike that I can load in truck and take with me on work trips.

412091463.jpg

I also have a 1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials bike for doing vintage trials riding.

409826802.jpg

A Kawasaki KLX250S dual sport for dirt and back roads riding.

411295390.jpg

A Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic because it is old school cool as hell.

412036308.jpg

A Triumph Trophy SE for Sport Touring.412335033.jpg

And a Road Glide Ultra for hauling my princess in comfort.

412148748.jpg

I am looking at the Ducati Scrambler, and Indian Springfield as future bikes.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I'm on my 3rd bike in as many years now. Had an '08 Triumph Street Triple. Loved it but the side tail exhaust was literally destroying my hearing at 6K on the tach, so it had to go. I sold it and bought a '15 FZ-07 last May. Enjoyed it for awhile but I got bored of it by the end of summer. It just didn't feel right to me; can't really explain it. So I just sold that and bought a '12 GSXR 600. I STILL haven't gotten to ride it because the weather in MN can't make up its damn mind, but I'm incredibly excited to do so. I had an '03 R6 in '03-'04 and absolutely loved it. 10K miles in my first year. Supersport is where I belong.

they make those little yellow things called "ear plugs" you know, @yamahappy74. Or even 30dB killing wasn't enough?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

twowheeladdict
they make those little yellow things called "ear plugs" you know, @yamahappy74 . Or even 30dB killing wasn't enough?
And OEM exhaust.  LOL!  Guess he just wasn't riding fast enough to stay ahead of the noise.   ::)

2015 FZ-07

I'm on my 3rd bike in as many years now. Had an '08 Triumph Street Triple. Loved it but the side tail exhaust was literally destroying my hearing at 6K on the tach, so it had to go. I sold it and bought a '15 FZ-07 last May. Enjoyed it for awhile but I got bored of it by the end of summer. It just didn't feel right to me; can't really explain it. So I just sold that and bought a '12 GSXR 600. I STILL haven't gotten to ride it because the weather in MN can't make up its damn mind, but I'm incredibly excited to do so. I had an '03 R6 in '03-'04 and absolutely loved it. 10K miles in my first year. Supersport is where I belong.
The kidding aside, you didn't want to wear earplugs?  I say that is a small sacrifice to keep enjoying a bike you love. 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Personally, I don't understand having multiple bikes that are in the same category. Variety is the spice of life. 
I bought the FZ-07 to have a fun lightweight bike that I can load in truck and take with me on work trips.

I hear you, I'm sort of trying to do that in my own way.  I have the FZ07, I have a 300cc fairing sportbike, I want to complete my own trifecta with a 1000cc range motorcycle.  Now, going the full range and getting dual sports and cafe racers etc., maybe down the road.  I'm still early in motorcycle ownership so I may eventually get there.  But for now, I want 3 completely different engine sizes to start.

Since the FZ07 is my first motorcycle and the R3 shares the same attribute of a gear indicator, the last few months I've been not looking at the gear indicator, but today I did what I should've done, I taped over the gear indicator.  So I rode 1 hour around town.  Wasn't bad at all, no gear selection mishaps (yeah, I know, you guys who have owned countless motorcycles with no gear indicator are shaking your head- I know how it sounds).  I'm prepping myself for the z1000's lack of gear indicator.  Also checked the insurance of it, not that much more than the FZ07 which was a relief.  Exactly around the same as an FZ09.

I'm still going to wait until one of the dealerships close by gets an XSR on the floor though.  I still want to sit on it to make sure. 

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
The kidding aside, you didn't want to wear earplugs?  I say that is a small sacrifice to keep enjoying a bike you love.
The ear plugs didn't help. I tried several different kinds. I almost went to the doctor to try and get custom ones made, but since I couldn't be sure it would fix the problem, I just sold the bike. I looked into a lo-boy exhaust too but they're super expensive and then you have to add on a fuel controller, so I caved. The problem wasn't with the volume of the exhaust, I don't think. It was the tone. At 6Kish, my skull felt like it was resonating, and since that's roughly cruising speed, I was pretty much screwed. I guess it's a common issue with the triple. I found a lot of other people online having the same issue. 

I like the Guzzi and the KT250 the most. I really like how they angled the cylinders to the sides on the Guzzi. Makes it easier to work on and probably keeps the engine cooler. Plus, it's just cool, old school. I could ride that KT250 all day in the woods. Just putting around and pulling wheelies over logs and across streams would be a blast, not to mention climbing hills and throwing rooster tails. 

Beemer

The ear plugs didn't help. I tried several different kinds. I almost went to the doctor to try and get custom ones made, but since I couldn't be sure it would fix the problem, I just sold the bike. I looked into a lo-boy exhaust too but they're super expensive and then you have to add on a fuel controller, so I caved. The problem wasn't with the volume of the exhaust, I don't think. It was the tone. At 6Kish, my skull felt like it was resonating, and since that's roughly cruising speed, I was pretty much screwed. I guess it's a common issue with the triple. I found a lot of other people online having the same issue.
Yeesh, that sucks. 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
Yeesh, that sucks.
Yes, it really did. The FZ-07 definitely didn't have that issue though. I loved how quiet it was. Now I've got a GSXR with an M4 short GP pipe on it, lol. I haven't gotten to ride it yet since I bought it from a dealer that's storing it for me until the weather improves, but I hope the exhaust note isn't a problem. Even if it is, the old owner gave the dealer the OEM exhaust too, so I have that to fall back on if need be. 

lol this is exactly how I felt on my CBR 600. Jail & death thoughts were common. The CBR was very fun in short bursts, where the FZ-07 is pretty fun for longer bursts. For me, it's more fun to ride a (slower) bike fast than ride a fast bike slow. Having an inline-4 1000cc bike and being limited to street speed limits just makes you feel like you are crawling. It's like if on the FZ you were limited to 40mph on the highway. 
BTW your small-font "160mph top speed" had me rollin HAHA. I'm in the same boat.

This is my problem. I love to push it hard!! The FZ may be at the upper limit of what my low motorcycle-self-control can handle....sadly.

Previously I had an SV650 and the slightly lower power and higher weight pretty much kept me out of trouble.

Before that was the newer Ninja 250R. I loooooove that bike. Pinned the throttle everywhere I went and so fun to push that little bike fast around corners. Engine screaming at 13k RPM down the street!!!! I still miss that bike.

The FZ is pushing my self control limits. I love to ride fast and I have already dodged a couple of seriously bad cop situations, literally 7 seconds after going 134, got ticketed doing 80, slowing down.

I'm starting an accelerated nursing program and when I'm done, 17 months from now, my gift to myself is a Ducati Streetfighter. I'm not sure if that's a wise decision, but it's just such a sexy beast.

AlbatrossCafe

I test rode the streetfighter 848 (the "smaller" one) among many bikes before the FZ. Let me just say that it it felt faster than my CBR. That thing may be a "naked" bike but it feels more like a ridiculous supersport. Seating position is WAY more aggressive than the stock FZ which also doesn't help. If that is what you decide upon as your reward then I wish you good luck with your self control...

I'd stick with the Yamaha personally - will save you $12k, headaches of maintenance & possibly your life lol

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the dealer today.

Sat on the XSR900. Very beautiful bike. But my fears were realized. It is uncomfortably tall for me. I spent a lot of time getting on and off that thing. In the end I realized I do not fit that bike.

But there was a bike on sale there that I loved for over a year, second bike I bought from this dealership, was able to drop another 700 bucks off the price sale price... and went home with it.

I'm looking over it right now seeing how easy everything will be to change out. I'll post pics in a bit.

• Global Moderator
Sat on the XSR900. Very beautiful bike. But my fears were realized. It is uncomfortably tall for me. I spent a lot of time getting on and off that thing. In the end I realized I do not fit that bike.

But there was a bike on sale there that I loved for over a year, second bike I bought from this dealership, was able to drop another 700 bucks off the price sale price... and went home with it.

I'm looking over it right now seeing how easy everything will be to change out. I'll post pics in a bit.
[br 
I am sorry to hear the XSR900 is too tall for you. I was very surprised how much taller it is than the FZ-09. What did you end up buying?

[br 
I am sorry to hear the XSR900 is too tall for you. I was very surprised how much taller it is than the FZ-09. What did you end up buying?
Yeah I got a Z1000. If you do a forum search on Z1000, you'll see some topics where I mention it in the past. 
My wife also bought several hundred dollars in iron pipes and parts from lowes so we spent a lot of time last night building some type of motorcycle gear storage shelving she dreamed up.  And then we had to take it apart because she's going to paint each piece.  So didn't have time to take pics of the motorcycle.

Man, for reference I am 5'6". I know you are over 6' something and you mentioned how tall the bike is. So you can understand how I felt on the XSR900. I wasn't too bummed out as I was able to purchase the bike I was lusting after for over a year and saved 2700 bucks off the price. In the end it was cheaper than the XSR900.

Maybe when I am older and by then they will have a few more choices similar to XSR that has a lower seat height.

Archived