The MT-07 Forum

Carbon-fiber helmets

avanti

• Premium Member

A search doesn't seem to find much on carbon-fiber helmet experiences here.  Could anyone comment on their carbon lids, please?

Brand, size, weight, and good and bad???  Thanks, in advance.

Most major lid companies have a carbon fiber version they offer of their premium line helmets. I rock a new Icon Airframe Pro in the black construct design. The step above my helmet is the carbon fiber version that is just lighter. I'm fairly certain having a carbon lid doesn't make it any better or safer compared to other finishes. But it does shed some weight from your head which is a major plus, and it looks badass haha

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Premium Member

Yes, thanks; weight should be the issue but I'm interested in any personal impressions of specific ones.

twowheeladdict

I have a Bell Star Carbon Helmet. It fits my shape head very well. I hardly know I have it on when I am riding and even doing head checks. Got a good deal on it at ridersdiscount. A good place to see head shapes, weights, etc. Is webbikeworld.com

2015 FZ-07

• Global Moderator

bought an agv AX-8 naked carbon in XL
lighter than hell but the visibilty was garbage
Ended up with a shoei RF-1200 instead

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

bought an agv AX-8 naked carbon in XL lighter than hell but the visibilty was garbage

really? doesnt it have the biggest lens ever? i was strongly considering it till today (ordered shoei Gt Air)

#weridenyc
2012 FZ8 (Grizzly)
IXIL Hyperlow XL L3X Exhaust
CRG Levers
Traf-X LED Turn Signals
OES Frame Sliders

• Global Moderator

bought an agv AX-8 naked carbon in XL lighter than hell but the visibilty was garbage
really? doesnt it have the biggest lens ever? i was strongly considering it till today (ordered shoei Gt Air)

It has a large lens but it seems its made more for dirt/offroad riding
you can see pretty well in front of you... but looking off to the side all you see is cheekpad

But the pro = lighter than hell. 1lb felt like i wasnt wearing a helmet
but the lack of visibility and the airflow you cant turn off. Makes it really loud, even with earplugs

It has a large lens but it seems its made more for dirt/offroad riding you can see pretty well in front of you... but looking off to the side all you see is cheekpad

But the pro = lighter than hell. 1lb felt like i wasnt wearing a helmet
but the lack of visibility and the airflow you cant turn off. Makes it really loud, even with earplugs
sweet! thanks for the info. Makes me that much happier to be getting my GT-Air tomorrow (hopefully!!!)

#weridenyc
2012 FZ8 (Grizzly)
IXIL Hyperlow XL L3X Exhaust
CRG Levers
Traf-X LED Turn Signals
OES Frame Sliders

• Premium Member

Yes, MANY thanks for the input! Any other carbon users are always encouraged to chime in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been reading the pre-release reviews on the newest (not scheduled for sale until next month) Simpson "Ghost Bandit." I've used Simpson helmets, fire-suits, etc. running at B'ville for almost three decades and have been quite pleased with all of it. So, I may try one after some production pieces are out in people's hands a while, even though the look is stereotypical Simpson and as such a little Anime-ish, imho.

Again, thanks!

• Global Moderator
Yes, MANY thanks for the input! Any other carbon users are always encouraged to chime in!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
I have been reading the pre-release reviews on the newest (not scheduled for sale until next month) Simpson "Ghost Bandit." I've used Simpson helmets, fire-suits, etc. running at B'ville for almost three decades and have been quite pleased with all of it. So, I may try one after some production pieces are out in people's hands a while, even though the look is stereotypical Simpson and as such a little Anime-ish, imho.

Again, thanks!
you could always write to simpson and request to be a demo/beta type sponsorship?

• Premium Member

Thanks, sorkyah, but I don't think so, unless you know something about Simpson's marketing that I don't.

When the ol' man was alive and at B'ville every year, he was pretty good about helping racers while they were competing, but times and ownership (as I understand it) have changed and I'm not using his motorcycle helmet to race with.

bmwpowere36m3

A lot of premium helmets use some "blend" of fibers (aramid, glass and carbon). What's the interest in carbon fiber, look or weight? To me, it'd be light-weight (at a premium cost). However when you compare the actual weights of the helmets... there's really no weight savings (or not much). Most premium helmets in medium size are right around 3 lbs and a few oz (~1400 g).

Nexx XR1R claims 1200g... but some reviewers have weighed it closer to 1400-1500g. Basically there isn't much savings, which makes sense due to the fact the shell, likely, makes up the least % of the overall weight.

When I was shopping for a new dirt lid... I found Kali Protectives which had full carbon, light helmets. Looks like they got street lids now, but no weight listed.

• Premium Member

Thanks bmw... yes, weight (regarding CF) is the issue for me; even a few ounces add up during wear, again, I'm only speaking for myself. Also, I'm interested in quietness and the Simpson has been said to be top notch in this regard. And, I'm fortunate in that price is not an issue for me.

• Premium Member

I have both a Lazer Kite Mustang Carbon (1440g) and an Icon Airframe Pro Carbon (1470g) They are both great helmets. I prefer the fit of the Lazer, but the Icon wins for ventilation. In fact, when it's cold out I always wear the Lazer because some of the Icon venting can't be turned off and it gets too cool.  Consequently, I don't have many miles on the Icon yet, but I think the Lazer might be a little quieter too.
In comparison to non-carbon, I've owned two Shoei Helmets: an RF900, and an RF1100 (1600g). Very nice helmets, but the RF1100 developed an irritating whistle at speed that was driving me nuts (the reason I picked up the Lazer. The Icon I won).
To be honest, weight difference doesn't seem that noticeable.
But the carbon does look cool!

Why can't left turners see us?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I appreciate all the info... I've decided, after considerably more research, to try the NEXX XR2 Carbon Zero.

...and yes, bmw, Simpson makes all sorts of helmets, including motorcycle; I didn't make this up.

• Premium Member

Just ordered the Carbon Zero from Revzilla. I'll give a report on it upon arrival.

• Premium Member
Just ordered the Carbon Zero from Revzilla. I'll give a report on it upon arrival.
Another sharp looking Carbon Helmet.  

Why can't left turners see us?

I had the icon variant carbon black for about a year. It felt super light compared to my scorpion exo 1000 and looked badass. Not the best for ultra high speeds because of the sunvisor thing on top catching wind coming off the front end, but it did actually help in bright sun when I didn't have my dark shield on. Crashed in it on my zx6r and it saved my skull. Now I use it on my skateboard sometimes LOL.

• Premium Member

NEXX arrived and review posted. Thanks to all for your input on this thread.

Archived