The MT-07 Forum

Footpeg and handlebar vibration after oil change

gigex

Like the title says. So yesterday i did my oil change. After letting the engine run for a bit i took it out for a spin, everything seemed fine. The next morning omw to work there was noticeable vibration at the handlebar and footpeg. The footpeg moreso than anything else. My feet are literally tingling still as i type this lol. If anyone can offer some advice on what's wrong it'd be much appreciated. For reference i used an original yamaha filter and bel ray 10w40 synthetic exs oil for the change. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Is your chain and sprocket clean and adjusted

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

The chain and sprocket got cleaned and relubed a couple days ago. I used 2.6L of oil (according to the manual), filter was hand tightened and drain bolt was tightened using a torque wrench (according to manual's torque spec). Took her out again and noticed a couple more things. The vibration isn't noticeable at idle or when the clutch is pulled in, only during acceleration and when i cross 4500rpm. The vibration isn't violent. It's more akin to a cell phone's vibration

• Global Moderator

There is a resonance on these bikes from around 4300-5100. Its just a quirk of the motor
There was a thread on this several months back and many users had a similar issue

How bad is the vibration?

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Feels like I'm gripping/standing on two ringing cell phones lol. I commute about 45km to work so after a while with the vibration my hands start to go numb :(

• Global Moderator

Im assuming here you're on the MT07?

It's funny how sometimes I get that same tingly vibration through my foot pegs as well but not always so it probably has more to do with the road surface than your bike. Ride it some more and see if it's always there or goes away on different roads. Then again, "There is a resonance on these bikes from around 4300-5100.
" - sorkyah
That's probably what it is. I even feel that tingle through the seat at times but just figured all the vibration/tingling is just a part of riding since I've experienced it for over 40+ yrs. All's normal. It's a trade off from not driving a comfortable, slower car.

Link of interest on road vibration: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3772596/

Beemer

• Global Moderator
Yea lol. 2015 model
i was going to suggest that it could also be a side-effect from the funky noise pollution crap the MT has vs the FZ
but its more than likely just a normal condition
i get the same thing
only it's a bit more pronounced now that i have installed the Gilles rearsets
they are no longwr rubber mounted to absorb those odd vibrations

I doubt its the roads since 1.) I feel it all the way to work (and back) and 2.) I've been riding on those same roads for several months now. Could it be that when I replaced the filter it was cross treaded? I've never noticed the vibration before the oil change so I'm kinda focusing on stuff that may/may not have happened during that........or maybe this is punishment for not using Yamalube lol

Yea lol. 2015 model
i was going to suggest that it could also be a side-effect from the funky noise pollution crap the MT vs the FZ

Aren't they the same thing? :/

• Global Moderator
i was going to suggest that it could also be a side-effect from the funky noise pollution crap the MT vs the FZ
Aren't they the same thing? :/
No. Mt haz a vacuum operated intake system to reduce excess noise

Guest Ralph

Mines a MT-07 only thing I feel is the uneven firing pulses at low revs but only on the bars and not annoying in any way
nothing from the pegs at all, maybe it wants a throttle body sync mine was smoother after that was done but cant see
how changing the oil would make any difference if the filler was cross threaded it would likely leak, and if the oil
light is off then you must have pressure, if you put much to much oil in the crank could hit the oil in the sump you
would feel that, but It would need to be well over full.

I doubt its the roads since 1.) I feel it all the way to work (and back) and 2.) I've been riding on those same roads for several months now. Could it be that when I replaced the filter it was cross treaded? I've never noticed the vibration before the oil change so I'm kinda focusing on stuff that may/may not have happened during that........or maybe this is punishment for not using Yamalube lol
lol! Yes, it's that ... the Yama-Gods see all. Consider yourself smited!  ;)

Beemer

^ikr lol. Altho this is the first time I'm using Bel Ray, was using Yamalube before. I haven't seen anyone post anything with respect to Bel Ray's motor oil so it could just be that they're crap lol.

Update: did another oil change (used amsoil 10w-40 fully synthetic). Also cleaned and relubed chain. Vibration still there, albeit less noticeable. Also noticed a strange clicking noise coming from my front sprocket when i was relubing the chain. It seems to be coming from inside as i can't see any obstruction on the outside. Could this be the cause of the vibration? Or something else entirely?

Well i took a closer look. The noise happens twice for every revolution of the front sprocket and each noise happens approximately 180 degrees apart. If you put your finger on the sprocket as it turns, you'll feel the click, kinda sounds like a bone cracking. It doesn't make the noise when each tooth engages the chain so I'm not sure it's that. Checked the chain tension and it's at 51mm.

When I put hand guards on mine, the bars were noticeably buzzier in that 5k range. Barkbuster makes little weights that can be added (the original bard ends can't be used) that made a huge comfort difference. But after making the buzz in the bars go away, I started noticing the buzz in the pegs. lol

Thankfully, I don't notice either anymore. Point being, once you notice something annoying, it's a bit hard to ignore.

I would go by the site glass for oil levels. Maybe a TB sync might help - but at 4-5k, it would have to be off a country mile to be felt as its biggest effect is at and just off idle.

I gave in and took it to the dealer. They kept it for 4 days and said basically they can't find anything wrong :/. They did point out that the increased vibration in the handlebars was probably due to me using after market parts. I had installed renthal ultra low bars and grips and also some bar emd mirrors. They said that without the bar end weights I'd notice more vibrations. ......thing is that mod was done in January....it's now April. ....wtf lol. Hopefully this doesn't get worse. I'll try getting better grips and see if that helps.

• 4 years later...
Saim Benli
On 3/28/2016 at 6:41 PM, gigex said:

Well i took a closer look. The noise happens twice for every revolution of the front sprocket and each noise happens approximately 180 degrees apart. If you put your finger on the sprocket as it turns, you'll feel the click, kinda sounds like a bone cracking. It doesn't make the noise when each tooth engages the chain so I'm not sure it's that. Checked the chain tension and it's at 51mm.

If the bike is on a stand and rear wheel is rotating freely that clicking is normal.