The MT-07 Forum

Flashing/Blinking Gear Indicator - 5th/6th Gear

ch3rryghost

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
Shift range sensor--different from Neutral Position Sensor?  

I believe this is the part: 

Neutral Switch Assy

1WS-82540-00-00

Ah! Okay, that's what I bought as well. I should have posted more details in my original post :( at least YOU'RE being helpful!

Guest ChicagoAJ

Neutral Switch Assy

1WS-82540-00-00
Ah! Okay, that's what I bought as well. I should have posted more details in my original post :( at least YOU'RE being helpful!
Lol, no problem. I couldn't find a gear position sensor, so that has to be the same thing as the neutral switch assembly (I hope). From the picture of the location on the site I got the part number from, it doesn't look like it would be that much work to change but it might be tucked away real good or the plug might be a pain to get to. Let us know how hard it is to change when you get around to it. 

• Premium Member

@hicagoAJ, I believe she's already gotten around to doing it.

But if someone wants to post some pictures.... that'd be awesome.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

thomascrown

It's easier on the non-california bikes that don't have a carbon canister in the way, but it's still easy nonetheless.

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
Lol, no problem. I couldn't find a gear position sensor, so that has to be the same thing as the neutral switch assembly (I hope). From the picture of the location on the site I got the part number from, it doesn't look like it would be that much work to change but it might be tucked away real good or the plug might be a pain to get to. Let us know how hard it is to change when you get around to it. 

Yeah, just have to move some parts out of the way but it was all procedural. It was definitely the problem; the issue hasn't popped up since!

• Global Moderator

Neutral Switch Assy

1WS-82540-00-00

Sorry ch3rry...
got distracted... yes neutral switch assembly

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Yeah, just have to move some parts out of the way but it was all procedural. It was definitely the problem; the issue hasn't popped up since!
Glad to hear it. I'm sure everyone with an FZ07-09 will be replacing these sensors if they hold on to their bikes long enough. 
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Yep, just happened to me on the way to Laguna Seca. I'll be replacing mine as soon as I get back!

:)

- Paulie

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Ok guys...

Just spent the better part of an hour and a half trying to change the gear position switch/neutral position switch, how ever you want to call it.

I got absolutely NOWHERE.

I mean, it's easy to get to, and I actually removed the switch no problem, but unplugging it is a whole different story.  I ended up having to bolt it back in place because I could't figure out how to unplug the connector!!!

It seems like the connector is secured to a small metal bracket, and the clip seems to be underneath.

For the life of me I couldn't unplug it.

Any tips or tricks to unplug the connector would be greatly appreciated.

- Paulie

• Premium Member
Unbolt the bracket, it's just one screw. Then pull the connector from the bracket.

I'll try it. Kinda tight in there, not sure I could get to the bolt...

- Paulie

thomascrown

The connector is physically impossible to remove without removing the bracket. You will realize this once you have it apart. Good luck.

• Premium Member
The connector is physically impossible to remove without removing the bracket. You will realize this once you have it apart. Good luck.
Actually it's not.  The connector clips to the bracket, but the release is on the bottom.  I removed the opposite end of the connector by using a very small screwdriver to pull up on the tab.  Came right off. 
Now, to remove the side that's connected to the actual gear position switch, it's attached to the bracket the same way, via tab lock, which happens to be on the BOTTOM of the connector.  I used a very small Allan wrench in a pair of needle nose pliers so I was holding an L shape.  I put the L under the tab on the connector and pulled on the connector housing, and it came right off.  Bracket is still in place (and quite impossible to actually try and remove as the bolt holding it is not very accessible).

If you have a small hook, like a dental device, you can get to the release tab of the connector and remove it from the bracket very easy, but I didn't have one.  The small Allan wrench held with some pliers worked just fine.

Not only did I replace the switch, but I also replaced the o-ring that goes on it, and the little contact post and spring that actually touches the contacts on the switch...just to be sure.

All in all that little job took me HOURS because of the connector, but it's finished now, thank goodness.

Haven't tested it because I'm still wrenching on the bike doing other stuff.  But I hope to do some testing this week.

Thanks again everyone for all your help!  You guys ROCK!!!

:)

- Paulie
  • Like 1

Finally decided to look up this issue and glad it wasn't just my bike. Has anyone tried cleaning the sensors contacts as a fix instead of buying a new one?

This just started happening to my bike as well in the past couple of weeks. When shifting down into 1st gear, the indicator would go blank. I put it off cause like others said, it didn't alter performance in any way. It was just a nusance.

I'm currently at a little under 12k miles.

So I decided to investigate due to this thread... I removed just the sensor to inspect it and found that there was build up of grease and oil on the face of the sensor. Also, when I pulled the post out, there was some tension holding it into the hole. I blasted both the face of the sensor, the post and spring with MAF sensor cleaner I had sitting on my shelf in the garage. Re-greased the face of the sensor with dielectric grease and lubed the post with oil that was pooled up in the recess where the sensor goes. I cycled the post/spring a few times and it was able to move in and out freely, as opposed to before. Reinstalled the lot and took it for a ride. 1st gear is now being indicated!

Thanks all!!

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Very nice thread but not a single photo. I'm having the same problem. Where is the Neutral switch assembly on the bike? Somewhere close to the front sprocket?

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, kyrtgr said:

Very nice thread but not a single photo. I'm having the same problem. Where is the Neutral switch assembly on the bike? Somewhere close to the front sprocket?

its located behind the front sprocket cover just above the sprocket... its probably got some oil/grease/crud packed in there...pop the sensor out, wipe the sensor face off and wipe out the sensor hole...

its held in by 2 bolts and looks like the middle of the sensor is made of black RTV goop...

IMG_1661.jpg

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 9 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/1/2017 at 8:11 AM, norcal616 said:

its located behind the front sprocket cover just above the sprocket... its probably got some oil/grease/crud packed in there...pop the sensor out, wipe the sensor face off and wipe out the sensor hole...

its held in by 2 bolts and looks like the middle of the sensor is made of black RTV goop...

IMG_1661.jpg

I don't know why people are replacing gear position sensor/ neutral switch assembly. Thanks for the picture @norcal616 with this I took apart the c/s cover,shift-rod, etc. to get to this and pulled it off. There was some oil and dirt inside and on the contact, cleaned it out with Q-tips and gave it a shot of electric cleaner, re-assembled, tested and all is good. I had 4th.gear not showing and 6th. intermittently flashing. Thanks again for the picture @norcal616 made life a lot easier, BTW the KINK IN THE LINK  in the chain right after the c/s in the picture I hope got looked after!!!

• Premium Member

I have had to wipe the sensor face off like maybe 2-3 times in approx 19k miles... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 3 weeks later...

27,000 miles and I just had my 5th do the blink-y. Might just ask my dealer to order in a new neutral indicator assy and swap it for me next time I'm in (which hopefully will be a while as I just got both tires swapped).

• 11 months later...

Well, I'll be darned ... my just started acting up.  4th gear is ghosting .. problem did not start until I removed the front sprocket to clean it out.  I must have gotten something dirty.

Mines been doing it in 5th gear for a couple months now but it doesn't affect the bikes performance. When I'm riding along and look at the display and don't see any gear indicated it lets me know I'm in 5th so no biggie. I'll get to it some day … right after this beer.

Beemer

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Mines been doing it in 5th gear for a couple months now but it doesn't affect the bikes performance. When I'm riding along and look at the display and don't see any gear indicated it lets me know I'm in 5th so no biggie. I'll get to it some day … right after this beer.

Yep unless it gets annoying just let it ride until the next time you have to pull the sprocket cover. 👍

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.