The MT-07 Forum

Flashing/Blinking Gear Indicator - 5th/6th Gear

ch3rryghost

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Creating this thread to see if anyone else is experiencing this. The gear indicator occasionally flashes and or disappears when I shift into 5th/6th gear. The bike doesn't ride any differently, no cut out in power or anything unnatural. It's been happening for a while now, I'd say maybe 5,000.00 miles and I've just been ignoring it since there's no change in performance. The bike currently has 15,000 miles and I'm going to try and take the necessary steps to resolve this problem--why the hell not, I figured I'd learn something along the way and I get to tinker w/ the bike and maybe install the EJK in the process.

I was unable to find any information on this forum which explains this thread but some googling yielded this on the big brother site: exact problem on FZ-09

Plan is to take the same steps, pull the gear position sensor and clean contacts, put it back in the place and note changes over x-amount of miles. If that fails to permanently fix the problem, purchase neutral switch assembly and install. 

I'll be sure to keep this updated of any findings. If updates don't come in a timely manner it just means I've been busy riding the bike. In the meantime, feel free to chime in on past experiences. 

B

• Like 1

• Premium Member

No experience with this issue. Just wanted to thank you for offering to inform everyone of your issue and how the possible fix goes. Good, helpful peeps like you are what make me happy to be a member here.

• Like 1

This happened to me the other day but it was between 1st and 2nd at a stop light. The only way I could get into any gear quick enough was to hold the brake and open the clutch. Killed the bike and had to restart it, but it went back into gear after that. Once in a while ill see the indicator to blank. I think it might have to do with me not engaging my gears hard enough. Ill keep an eye out on mine and make sure im fully engaged before opening my clutch lever. Never seen this issue on bikes before, kinda odd.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
This happened to me the other day but it was between 1st and 2nd at a stop light. The only way I could get into any gear quick enough was to hold the brake and open the clutch. Killed the bike and had to restart it, but it went back into gear after that. Once in a while ill see the indicator to blank. I think it might have to do with me not engaging my gears hard enough. Ill keep an eye out on mine and make sure im fully engaged before opening my clutch lever. Never seen this issue on bikes before, kinda odd.
When this happens to me I hold the clutch in, downshift and physically roll the bike a little back and forth. An upshift then puts it back into 2nd gear. Then down-shift to first and go on green
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

This happens to me all the time when I'm cruising in 5th gear. I'm interested in what you find out/do about it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator

I had this issue when my bike was still new. And still occasionally have the false neutral with no indication on the display while in 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th
Range sensor has been replaced, issue is still present
Just something i live with now as there apparantly isnt any adjustment for the sensor

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

mine did it in 6th gear. it is the gear position sensor. had mine replaced under warranty. if your bike isn't under warranty still it's not hard to change but the part is $3??. 

My bike has done weird things when it comes to shifting but they seem to be isolated incidents. Two, maybe three times it seems I 'maybe' didn't put enough pressure on the shift lever and even though it went into a higher gear as intended, a fraction of a second later it automatically dropped down into a lower gear just for a split second and then automatically BACK into the higher gear I put it in to begin with. It caused a bit of nut, tank slap and was a hoot and it happened so fast I momentarily freaked a bit. *No bikes in days of yore ever did this to me. These new, fangled bikes, lol!  :D

• Like 1

Beemer

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll be sure to follow up when further action has been taken.

mine did it in 6th gear. it is the gear position sensor. had mine replaced under warranty. if your bike isn't under warranty still it's not hard to change but the part is $3??. 

The neutral position switch is $36. I'm tempted to just replace that--to be determined.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll be sure to follow up when further action has been taken. 

The neutral position switch is $36. I'm tempted to just replace that--to be determined.
your right it was the other part they thought it might be was $3??. 

Does it cause any other issues, or is the gear indicator just intermittently flashing? Personally, I don't know that I'd spend a lot of money trying to fix it if its out of warranty. Its the first bike I've ever had that had a gear indicator on it. If I could, I'd trade it for adjustable front forks, at least preload anyway lol

Does it cause any other issues, or is the gear indicator just intermittently flashing? Personally, I don't know that I'd spend a lot of money trying to fix it if its out of warranty. Its the first bike I've ever had that had a gear indicator on it. If I could, I'd trade it for adjustable front forks, at least preload anyway lol
no it's just an annoyance. the part is less than $50 and would only take like 15min to change. 
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Yeah it's just getting on my nerves, like I said, there was no difference in performance at all. Just the indicator itself is out. I understand it's still money, but compared to cars the amount of time and money you save, makes things like this easier to accept.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Okay, short simple follow-up.

Had the time this weekend to finally install the new Neutral Position Sensor and this morning's commute was the first test. Happy to report that its seemingly been fixed. No issues of gear display in 5th or 6th, but I'd like to get more riding in before absolutely declaring it's been fixed since the original problem occurred intermittently. The original sensor seemed to be in excellent condition so I'm a little skeptical that it was the culprit--however, the ride into work this morning MAY have proved me wrong. Longer rides will settle any doubts.

In terms of the install--took maybe an hour, very straight forward but little space to work in. I didn't take pictures nor do I know the proper terminology to describe what was removed (apologies, still learning motorcycle bits) but I'd GLADLY help anyone out with details, promise. Gosh, that sounds pathetic and not very helpful just trust I'll walk you through with pictures and descriptions if you need assistance, just let me know.

Ride safe.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Hope it's all over now. That would bug me to hell.

• Like 1

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

So I had a ride with the wife yesterday. At a stop light, she says, "Is it suppose to be blank when I'm in first gear?"

I said, "No, you must not be in gear..."

She demonstrates going into neutral, dash symbol shows up, kicks it into first, and BLANK.

I tell her that you just mentioned this on the forum... and she tells me this has been happening for a while now.

B-|  Guess it doesn't bother her as much as it bothers me. Hope to get it looked at when I take the bike in for service. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
So I had a ride with the wife yesterday. At a stop light, she says, "Is it suppose to be blank when I'm in first gear?"  

She demonstrates going into neutral, dash symbol shows up, kicks it into first, and BLANK.

I tell her that you just mentioned this on the forum... and she tells me this has been happening for a while now.

B-|  Guess it doesn't bother her as much as it bothers me. Hope to get it looked at when I take the bike in for service. 

Its the shift range sensor... had the same issue with mine when i first got it

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Mine only did 5th and 6th ever since I past 17k miles. Now sometimes 1st. I need to replace my sensor too...

SigSide.jpg

thomascrown

Yes, it is the neutral position sensor. Replace and you will be good to go for another 15k till it fails again inevitably. Maybe cleaning the contacts would fix the issue but sensor is cheap enough for me to just replace outright.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Are all bikes that display gears need to have the sensor replaced?! Is it meant to be a part that needs replacing like oil does?

I've never had a bike that had this display option, so this is all new to me.

• Like 1

thomascrown

The way the part is designed, 1st and 6th are susceptible to having this problem. The contact goes clear across the lead on gears 2 through 5, since you need to completely cross 2 to get from 1 to 3. The contact going clear across keeps 2 through 5 leads clean enough to work. 1 and 6 has the contact stop in the middle, so they have a layer of crap that reduces conductivity.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Shift range sensor--different from Neutral Position Sensor?

Guest ChicagoAJ

Shift range sensor--different from Neutral Position Sensor?

I believe this is the part: 

Neutral Switch Assy
1WS-82540-00-00

• Premium Member

Thanks for the part number. I've been riding the bike and haven't been looking down to check. Guess it doesn't bother me that much. :P