The MT-07 Forum

radiator and radiator guard

i28

• Premium Member

Since everyone recommends a radiator guard (and i just ordered one a few hours ago), here are some questions:

1. How essential is it? what are the chances of any serious damage if you don't have one?

I'm more interested in this question because I've noticed a few bent fins:
2. Will a few bent fins really change anything? Should I fix any bent fins on a radiator before putting on the guard?

Since everyone recommends a radiator guard (and i just ordered one a few hours ago), here are some questions: 

1. How essential is it? what are the chances of any serious damage if you don't have one?

I'm more interested in this question because I've noticed a few bent fins:
2. Will a few bent fins really change anything?
Should I fix any bent fins on a radiator before putting on the guard?

Hey buddy!
I have the Evotech radiator on my FZ. I got it after u noticed a few slightly bent fins after some canyon riding through Mulholland and Angeles Crest. On the streets didn't notice anything at all really. I merely bought it to prevent any big rocks or debris on road from doin serious damage. Little rocks and pebbles on the road you can't avoid. Plus it makes my bike look way cooler with it being blacked out rather than the dull aluminum. Just unbend the fins using gentle pressure with a toothpick if you wanna correct the radiator look before installing the rad guard.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Premium Member

Hey Geoff!
I just ordered the evotech too. It does look cool. I should have paid more attention to the mods on your bike. I got some sliders right after seeing yours. Figured it'll be worth it for me.
(Actually, it's a good thing I didn't pay too much attention because I'd have spent more money on stuff. Haha)

As for the fins. I was just wondering if it's even worth fixing them or if it's just for looks.

Yea buying a set of frame sliders is def a wise choice! Especially for those little oopsies where the bike just falls over. As for the fins, if there is no serious damage that may restrict airflow through the radiator, then you're fine. Fixing the fins will be for aesthetics purposes.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

I think it depends more on where you ride and the conditions of your roads as to whether or not you could benefit from a radiator guard. However, if you choose to put one on, it certainly won't hurt anything.

As for a few bent fins, a few bent fins won't hurt anything. You'd need to have a lot of them bent and/or clogged with debris before it would really affect cooling efficiency.

One more thing, if you look around on this forum, you'll see where guys have made their own radiator guards. I didn't necessarily use the same patterns or materials on this forum, but I got the general idea from here and made my own for about $12.00 + a can of the Yamaha blue spray paint so it would match

For me the rad is very exposed and i ordered my rad guard a month before I even had my bike. The actual rad fins are very delicate and I didn't want any damage to them. It's up to you but for me it was a given.

bmwpowere36m3

When I was buying, there were no Evotech deals... I got it from Motostarz. Satisfied with purchase. They come a little twisted, but if you read the manual that's normal.

I bought a Evotech rad guard from motostarz.ca (the Canadian version of the website). Cost me $150Canadian dollars all said and done.

It's a really nice guard. It does come bent, but that's normal.p

There is always the DIY solution.
Got to find excuses to work on the bike.
This one must have cost me (just can't remember that far) $30, including the paint.

IMG_1094-1_zps1vno0qdg.jpg

• Premium Member
Got to find excuses to work on the bike.

My bike still needs a lot of work ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Where did you buy this version from?  

c4277c9ad085933bc82aa484a77ffb55.jpg 
Do it!
search facebook for ripped industries or Brent Boyd. i think he also has it posted on ebay.

Archived