The MT-07 Forum

Getting Started With Accessories

binaryjams

Hello folks,

I'm New Here. I'm also new to modern bikes and commuting regularly by motorcycle, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with all the gear that goes with those things. I was hoping some of you veterans might be able to help me out with some input and/or links to helpful threads on here.

The very first thing I'm doing is a fender eliminator kit and an LED tail light with integrated signals. I think I'm gonna go with the ones from Yoshimura and Motodynamics respectively. How do those of you who've done the same feel about yours, or does anyone recommend something different?

The other thing I plan on doing with the bike is going on some camping trips this summer. I think I want to get some saddle bags for daily commuting, and tank and tail bags to add for camping trips. Looking online is overwhelming, though. To help narrow my search, what are some reputable brands and sites that you purchase these items from? Do any of you have bags that you love for similar purposes?

And lastly, I'd like to find a windscreen that's easy to remove and replace. I don't really like the look of them, but for long trips I'll probably wish I had one.

Any suggestions and/or links to relevant threads are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Welcome to the family/community!!!

SigSide.jpg

yoshi fender eliminator is great.

ef2b8b661d8680bf54b47c2d3dbb57ed.jpg

givi windscreen in my opinion is best looking. others like puig.

5e163a1866f8751471907ea27ba17315.jpg

Have fun! the addiction only gets better. lol

• Global Moderator

Hard to go wrong with the Yoshi (although I have the Rizoma). I would get a radiator guard before you dent any cooling fins. I like my Evotech one but there are a lot of options. Just an FYI the integrated turn signals are probably illegal. Most states require turn signals to be 9" apart. Not that I expect it would be a problem, I just wanted to make sure you knew. Please post what upgrades you decide to do. It is fun to see how people personalize their bikes.

• Premium Member

+1 for rad guard.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

bmwpowere36m3

The Yoshimura fender eliminator is really nice and the LED plate light is trick. I went with a Vagabond eliminator (forum sponsor) and I'm very satisfied as well (a bit cheaper too). I also did the Motodynamics integrated taillight... brake flash is a good feature. Definitely consider a radiator guard, I rode for a few months without and the fins did receive some light damage (bent). I went for the Evotech, sleek and minimalist.

• Premium Member

I would highly recommend frame/axel sliders for the times when shit happens.

@mjh937  - Thanks for the head's up. That's something I never really thought of and I'll have to look into. If it turns out that's the case in my area (which I'm betting it is), @bmwpowere36m3, is it possible to hook up the integrated tail light just for the brake flash feature, and leave the stock turn signals, or have both the stock and the integrated working at the same time? I'm not sure I would actually do that, just curious.

Looks like a radiator guard will be in order right off the bat too. That's something I didn't really notice but now that I look at it, that thing is very vulnerable.

Everyone, thank you for the replies, you've been more than helpful! Does anyone have any suggestions for tail and saddle bags/cases?

The very first thing I'm doing is a fender eliminator kit and an LED tail light with integrated signals. I think I'm gonna go with the ones from Yoshimura and Motodynamics respectively. How do those of you who've done the same feel about yours, or does anyone recommend something different?

Since you asked how I felt about it, and if I would recommend something different, I have to chime in.

I owned two Motodynamic tail lights, one for each of my motorcycles.  I originally had a Supabrake II on my FZ07 then I "upgraded" to a motodynamic for it and had that on for about 6 months (I had sold the Supabrake II).  It wasn't until I got my wife her R3 and installed one on her bike and followed behind her that I noticed how UNNOTICEABLE it is when she brakes.  She followed me a few times, she is still getting used to riding staggered and she also commented on how she almost hit me because she didn't see I was braking.

In actual use, IMO the motodynamic is very dangerous to use in daytime as the difference between running light and brake light is very hard to discern even with the modulation blinking, it is just difficult.  If you are not familiar with it, the MD taillight has the same LED pattern in its running light and its brakelight, it just gets brighter.  That's a huge design flaw in my eyes.  Stock tallight is a V pattern running light that completely fills in when you hit the brakes.  Why these aftermarket tallight companies do not follow this very simple safety design element is beyond me.  Despite the fact that the MD gets brighter on braking with a few modulation blinks, I have noticed that I entirely miss the fact that my wife was braking in front of me.  Having switched back to stock taillight it is quite apparent when she brakes.  The brain just has an easier time processing the difference in light patterns instead of difference in light brightness.

Since then I have taken off both MD taillights, bought ANOTHER SBII for the FZ07, and one for the R3. 

For people who take pride and priority on aesthetics, that's fine, you guys keep using that MD taillight. If safety is your bigger concern or takes priority over style, ditch the MD (or don't get the MD) and use stock taillight plus Supabrake II.  You will be more visible that way.   Especially to those ****heads that drive closely behind you.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Since you asked how I felt about it, and if I would recommend something different, I have to chime in. 
I owned two Motodynamic tail lights, one for each of my motorcycles.  I originally had a Supabrake II on my FZ07 then I "upgraded" to a motodynamic for it and had that on for about 6 months (I had sold the Supabrake II).  It wasn't until I got my wife her R3 and installed one on her bike and followed behind her that I noticed how UNNOTICEABLE it is when she brakes.  She followed me a few times, she is still getting used to riding staggered and she also commented on how she almost hit me because she didn't see I was braking.

In actual use, IMO the motodynamic is very dangerous to use in daytime as the difference between running light and brake light is very hard to discern even with the modulation blinking, it is just difficult.  If you are not familiar with it, the MD taillight has the same LED pattern in its running light and its brakelight, it just gets brighter.  That's a huge design flaw in my eyes.  Stock tallight is a V pattern running light that completely fills in when you hit the brakes.  Why these aftermarket tallight companies do not follow this very simple safety design element is beyond me.  Despite the fact that the MD gets brighter on braking with a few modulation blinks, I have noticed that I entirely miss the fact that my wife was braking in front of me.  Having switched back to stock taillight it is quite apparent when she brakes.  The brain just has an easier time processing the difference in light patterns instead of difference in light brightness.

Since then I have taken off both MD taillights, bought ANOTHER SBII for the FZ07, and one for the R3. 

For people who take pride and priority on aesthetics, that's fine, you guys keep using that MD taillight. If safety is your bigger concern or takes priority over style, ditch the MD (or don't get the MD) and use stock taillight plus Supabrake II.  You will be more visible that way.   Especially to those ****heads that drive closely behind you.

The exact reason I'm choosing the CustomLED tail light over the MD.

SigSide.jpg

As far as a radiator guard goes, I would suggest you look around on this site where people have made their own to get some ideas. I think I made mine for about $12.00, not including the cost of paint.

In a perfect world, we could have both aesthetics and safety. That said, safety will always take priority for me, so this is very helpful info. I'll have to keep doing some research on other brands I suppose. I've definitely seen plenty of modulating tail lights on all different types of bikes out on the roads and they work very well, almost to the point of being annoying, which is a good safety feature.

My main reason for wanting the MD was because of the integrated signals, not necessarily because it's LED, but after do some research prompted by @mjh937, it looks like that may be illegal anyway. Maybe I'll end up going the supabrake route or similar.

• Global Moderator

I have the Suprabrake II on my bike. While I do not follow myself others who have say it works really well. It gets their attention when I am braking.

If you don't go with an integrated tailight you may want to do some research on if saddlebags will hit your turn signals. If you end up going with a fender eliminator and traditional turn signals there could be clearance issues. I think there are a few posts on here where folks said saddlebags hit their signals after installing a fender eliminator.

Archived