The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Akrapovic Ti

2wheeldynoworks

2wheeldynoworks

Hey everyone, we are pleased to release our updated Akrapovic Ti flash for the FZ-07. We've finished up building our tune file for it and the results are awesome! 

We were hitting low to mid 70's hp with a 2hp bump from baffle out. During our R&D we ran across an interesting thing as well. Specifically to this bike and exhaust even more-so, we recommend running premium 91+ octane only. A full explanation of fuel octane choice can be read here
http://fz07.org/thread/4909/fz-07-fuel-octane

graph below, baffle out top, baffle in bottom

Akrapovic Ti

Baffle out 74.03hp 54.07ft lb

Baffle in 72.75hp 51.75ft lb

fz07%20akra%20ti%20baffle%20in%20vs%20baffle%20out_zpsyinvctku.png

Hey everyone, we are pleased to release our updated Akrapovic Ti flash for the FZ-07. We've finished up building our tune file for it and the results are awesome!  

We were hitting low to mid 70's hp with a 2hp bump from baffle out. During our R&D we ran across an interesting thing as well. Specifically to this bike and exhaust even more-so, we recommend running premium 91+ octane only. A full explanation of fuel octane choice can be read here

I'll get the graph off the laptop tomorrow as I left it at the shop today. 
Wheres this dyno graph?? :) 

Guest 2wheeler

So my question is, with the combos for the FZ-07 you have worked up so far, which exhaust pipe is the winner as far as low to mid range grunt (torgue) and all-around rideability?  
From what I have read, it seems as though you test with all the possible combos for the bike, so the parameters for my question would be your flash, an aftermarket exhaust, stock air filter, snorkel removed, O2 sensor disconnected and baffle in. The one I am not sure about is the O2 sensor - thoughts?

Thanks!

2wheeldynoworks

I'll get the graph off the laptop tomorrow as I left it at the shop today. 
Wheres this dyno graph?? :)
Check again ;) 

So my question is, with the combos for the FZ-07 you have worked up so far, which exhaust pipe is the winner as far as low to mid range grunt (torgue) and all-around rideability?  
From what I have read, it seems as though you test with all the possible combos for the bike, so the parameters for my question would be your flash, an aftermarket exhaust, stock air filter, snorkel removed, O2 sensor disconnected and baffle in. The one I am not sure about is the O2 sensor - thoughts?

Thanks!

O2 sensor in on the FZ-07 generally gets the best rideability after our flash. Which is opposite of most bikes but it seems to work best for these. Right now the Akra Ti baffle out makes the best power of the exhausts we've done by a good margin. 

Hmm... baffle out gives a 2hp increase? I always thought taking it out negatively affected performance. Hope we can get something similar for the Akra Carbon next!
it depends on which application oddly enough it can change model to model with the same manufacturer. i've seen some lose 15hp and some gain 5, depends on bike and make of exhaust. We have a dialed in flash for the akra carbon however the Ti just performs a little bit better :)

2wheeldynoworks
Awesome results :)  top work mate.... looks like I chose the right exhaust for the bike 8-)
with the new dialed in flash for it, oh yeah!

Awesome results :)  top work mate.... looks like I chose the right exhaust for the bike 8-)
with the new dialed in flash for it, oh yeah!
Epic results.... the torque figures are almost the same as Hordpower's with the engine works, I would love to see that exhaust on his bike, I wonder why such a difference with that exhaust??? keep up the good work mate

@2wheeldynoworks: What was the air filter setup used on these runs? Stock with snorkel out, or something else?

2wheeldynoworks
@2wheeldynoworks : What was the air filter setup used on these runs? Stock with snorkel out, or something else?
That FZ07 had snorkel out, with a DNA filter. 

• Global Moderator
@2wheeldynoworks : What was the air filter setup used on these runs? Stock with snorkel out, or something else?

Have you guys had any other DNA filters come through with a yoshi exh by chance?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

delbee1, I don't think you can make that comparison to Hordpowers charts to 2WDW charts, different dynos, operators etc. Until you run the same engine or stock baseline engine on each others dyno you really can't say for certain what's what, of course that's just my opinion. The question that should be asked is why does Hords 12.5-1 cr 88.5 hp engine run just fine on 87 octane fuel while the 2WDW flash with only an exhaust requires 91 octane to quell detonation, this I don't understand but would like to know...Mark

delbee1, I don't think you can make that comparison to Hordpowers charts to 2WDW charts, different dynos, operators etc. Until you run the same engine or stock baseline engine on each others dyno you really can't say for certain what's what, of course that's just my opinion. The question that should be asked is why does Hords 12.5-1 cr 88.5 hp engine run just fine on 87 octane fuel while the 2WDW flash with only an exhaust requires 91 octane to quell detonation, this I don't understand but would like to know...Mark
I understand different dynos can read differently, even the same dyno can read differently if over strapped or for loads of other reasons. Hord's stock graph was 68.25hp & 47.06ft/lb and 2WDW stock was 67.65hp & 46.19ft/lb. The Yoshi on 2WDW made 51.35ft/lb and the Akra Ti 54.07. Hord's modified engine with the Yoshi and his airbox made 54.58ft/lb. As I have an Akra Ti I would be interested to see that exhaust on Hord's bike to see if any difference is made as potentially there could be another 2 to 3ft/lb and maybe a little more hp.
Has Hord said that his engine runs on 87 then?? With the raised compression I would of thought it would run on the higher octane fuel???
I too would be interested to know

2wheeldynoworks

Have you guys had any other DNA filters come through with a yoshi exh by chance?
same results as yosh with k&n or stock with snorkel removed

2wheeldynoworks
 The question that should be asked is why does Hords 12.5-1 cr 88.5 hp engine run just fine on 87 octane fuel while the 2WDW flash with only an exhaust requires 91 octane to quell detonation, this I don't understand but would like to know...Mark
This is an issue with an handful of bikes running r&d maps that were not made with that exhaust on the dyno. There were many customers running the same map without issue. Once we were able to get one on the dyno, we created our own all new flash for it. For some reason with this exhaust it requires premium fuel. Pulling ignition back to almost stock worked but then you were getting no performance  gains from it. So with this exhaust, it requires premium fuel to get the performance benefits of the exhaust. It wasn't an issue on all bikes or exhausts, it wasn't an issue with the flash. That hardware combo on very few specific bikes had issues. So to address them all, the standard now will be run premium fuel, as it completely eliminated the issue immediately once tested.  
As for Hord, you'll have to ask him. 

2wheeldynoworks
I understand different dynos can read differently, even the same dyno can read differently if over strapped or for loads of other reasons. Hord's stock graph was 68.25hp & 47.06ft/lb and 2WDW stock was 67.65hp & 46.19ft/lb. The Yoshi on 2WDW made 51.35ft/lb and the Akra Ti 54.07. Hord's modified engine with the Yoshi and his airbox made 54.58ft/lb. As I have an Akra Ti I would be interested to see that exhaust on Hord's bike to see if any difference is made as potentially there could be another 2 to 3ft/lb and maybe a little more hp.
Has Hord said that his engine runs on 87 then?? With the raised compression I would of thought it would run on the higher octane fuel???
I too would be interested to know

Supposedly he may have a customer local to me and so we may be able to build a flash for his product and see the difference. 

Delbee1 and 2WDW, thanks for input, either way would be interesting, Akra Ti on his engine or local guy with Hords air box and your flash. According to Hordpowers info his performance engine made the 88.5 hp on 87 oct. and 92 hp on race gas and that's really a pretty mild tune, your basic street engine. I think there is a lot more potential there to be had.

Delbee1 and 2WDW, thanks for input, either way would be interesting, Akra Ti on his engine or local guy with Hords air box and your flash. According to Hordpowers info his performance engine made the 88.5 hp on 87 oct. and 92 hp on race gas and that's really a pretty mild tune, your basic street engine. I think there is a lot more potential there to be had.
I think so too, I might look to do this to my bike, I'm still not sure about the airbox in the rain and would like to see what the engine could do witha DNA and snorkel removed. I guess with higher octane fuel the power will be somewhere in the middle of 87 and race fuel, either way 2WDW and Hord are getting some brilliant results from their work 

I normally wouldn't jump in another vendor's thread but in this case I will just to provide a little input. Yes, the majority of my testing has been with plain old 87 octane. The race fuel I used was MR12. Oxygenated, not high octane. I am running ignition timing numbers that are bumped a little from OEM but nothing crazy. "MBT." Minimum timing for best torque. Too much advance is just "anti-work." The FZ seems to have a pretty good combustion chamber so it takes typical ignition timing for it's diameter and volume. Numbers I am used to seeing from other twins.

The Akra Ti chart is definitely interesting, and thanks Nels for posting it. It looks like it would make excellent street power, at least. Regardless of dyno #'s/comparisons the shape of the curve is nice. With the peak torque coming in so low, maybe combustion pressures are higher and that's why it pings a little. I will probably test an Arrow "long" system on mine sometime soon, but would definitely like to try the Akra as well. My modded engine was built with a good overall power curve in mind, with good top end. Streetable, raceable. There would be ways to swell up the midrange (intake length and cam timing) but it would cost some top end.

Carry on. :)

J.D. Hord

I normally wouldn't jump in another vendor's thread but in this case I will just to provide a little input. Yes, the majority of my testing has been with plain old 87 octane. The race fuel I used was MR12. Oxygenated, not high octane. I am running ignition timing numbers that are bumped a little from OEM but nothing crazy. "MBT." Minimum timing for best torque. Too much advance is just "anti-work." The FZ seems to have a pretty good combustion chamber so it takes typical ignition timing for it's diameter and volume. Numbers I am used to seeing from other twins. 
The Akra Ti chart is definitely interesting, and thanks Nels for posting it. It looks like it would make excellent street power, at least. Regardless of dyno #'s/comparisons the shape of the curve is nice. With the peak torque coming in so low, maybe combustion pressures are higher and that's why it pings a little. I will probably test an Arrow "long" system on mine sometime soon, but would definitely like to try the Akra as well. My modded engine was built with a good overall power curve in mind, with good top end. Streetable, raceable. There would be ways to swell up the midrange (intake length and cam timing) but it would cost some top end.

Carry on. :)
Thanks for the input Hordboy, I'm looking forward to seeing your results with the Arrow and the Akra Ti, I do have a few questions but I'll ask them on your thread, as said before both you and Nels are getting some brilliant results so keep up the good work :) 

Something else that Hord didn't mention and is important, to me at least, is the fact that his testing was conducted with the Yosh DB killer installed/not installed and made no difference. I installed the DB killer in mine shortly after getting the bike (with Yosh already installed) and for me it is still rather loud but so far ok I think. I'd like to know how the Akra compares to the Yosh decibel wise with and without respective inserts. If the Akra proved to be a better midrange choice AND was quieter than Yosh, I would consider switching, after I thought about the octane requirement concerns.

It's very fortunate that we have 2WDW and Hord on this forum, between the 2 of them this bikes true potential will come out. Now does any one out there have a spare Akra Ti lying around? I know a guy in Ohio who could probably put it to the test.

Archived