The MT-07 Forum

EZ-Pass Mounting

Vmoto

cookfreeordie89
I decided to buy this: http://www.amazon.com/eZpassClip-Holder-Small-Transponder-Black/dp/B00BOVDCPE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 
I will update on how in the world I manage to mount it once I get it. lol

I don't know if that's the best method. Those suction cups tend to lose their shape after a while.

Actually I'm not gonna use the suction cups. I'm gonna take those out and use allen bolts and mount it on the bike. I ordered this just for the holder so its easy to remove the ezpass

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Pull one of the rear side panels off and mount it there with double sided tape and it worked great. Right hand side of picture below.

d14635dd02f9dd5ad2f8abd9fbf00f7d.jpg

Does it actually pick it up? I had it in my upper jacket pocket but it wouldn't register. So I have some skepticism about the rear of the bike. Yesterday police officer waved me to stop and prove that I had an EZ-Pass, after that he just waved me by without much care. But he said it needs to be in the front specifically. But the holder I ordered got delivered so when I get home I'll have to mount it to the front.

EDIT: apparently i don't know English, fixed a sentence.

• 11 months later...

I have a Fastrak I mounted to the underside of my gas tank with heavy-duty Velcro. I had to remove the plastics and unbolt the the tank to get my hand to fit, super easy to do, just two bolts. If you run a snorkel, it could have some clearance issues so keep that in mind.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

I hate to necro an old thread, but I also hate to start a new one when someone has discussed this before. Hopefully others can find the answer I found.

tl;dr: Mount your EZ pass on your brake reservoir. Use that weird plastic velcro, it'll stick just fine.

I live in Pennsylvania, and they mandate the use of RFID devices that you mount on the inside of your windshield for your car. Motorcycles get the same transponder when registering, but with an "MC" sticker on the bottom. Whether it's differently tuned or not, I have no idea. Although it used to be free to look up your account using your plate, the PA Turnpike Commission now charges you a $10 fee every time your EZ pass doesn't register and they have to look up your account number by your license plate using their video cameras. They call it a "V toll" and it's horseshit. They don't send you a letter, they don't call you, they don't even send you an email, the just charge you $10 and assume you're fine with it. It's their RFID transponder not working with their receiving equipment. When it doesn't work, they charge you. It's madness.

Anyway, I mounted my EZ pass like most people here: on the inside of the windshield. That didn't work even though it's what they tell you to do:

image.png.b7798666b3fe73de0ad75ceef2de3526.png

So I assumed my pass was bad (water damage from rain?), sent my pass in to Harrisburg, they kept it for a month, and mailed it back to me saying "No, it works just fine." OK, so now I mounted it to the instrument cluster riser. That kind of worked. But then I didn't use tolls often so I didn't really check up on it. Recently, I just moved to a new home, and I commute on the turnpike every day now. I login to change my credit card on file and find that I had burned through over $200 of these "V toll" things in less than a month:

image.thumb.png.3dad7849e6eeb23ac4d020e12912fea0.png

This guy recommends to mount it on your steel gas tank. The EZ pass sensors are overhead, not on the sides of the lanes, so maybe the metal can act like a reflector for the signal, to make it easier to read? OK, but ours is plastic. So I tried mounting it on my brake reservoir. Now it reads every time:

image.png.6744dc2793ed037a29aac3abe99adf7c.png

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

• Global Moderator

Thnx noodles

It does depend on your state 

I know Cali has em on the left sides of the lanes

PA, I never used it, but the readers I saw were all overhead as you stated

Indiana they were all over the place, but it was a RFID sticker that was used. 

GA tolls were easy enough to reverse that I never bothered registering but seemed to mostly be overhead

FL were nightmarish and everywhere

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Here in Florida I have one suction cup transponder that I have registered with all three of my vehicles including my FZ. The transponders are notorious for not being read so they use the tag cameras in those cases to make sure the charge gets registered to the correct transponder/account. I don't even bother carrying it with me most the time. I've never had an issue.

I sure hope Florida doesn't decide to use a "V toll" that's some BS right there.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The real test will be when I take the trip to Outer Banks from PA this November

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds