The MT-07 Forum

EZ-Pass Mounting

Vmoto

Just received my EZ-pass for the FZ today.  Need some ideas since I don't have a windscreen like many of you.  What is a good mounting location? Post pics please  :)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Is having it onboard a requirement? I have a Fastrak and as long as you go to the website and put your license plate on file you don't have to carry it.

• Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Is having it onboard a requirement? I have a Fastrak and as long as you go to the website and put your license plate on file you don't have to carry it.
I'm not sure. I will have to call them and ask.

They should cross reference your license to your transponder. But if you get pulled over for some reason, the cop might ask you for it.

• Like 1

pineappleunderthesea

Get a RAM mount and put the transponder on there? When done with the transponder you could stick your phone in there, that way the mount gets double use.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I've had it work sitting in my breast pocket. It did fail to read occasionally.

Now it's on the backside of the flyscreen. You may do well mounting it behind the headlight with locking velcro*. My transponder is about 1"x4" and has held on in all weather for many miles.

* https://www.etsy.com/listing/176883284/high-strength-velcro-sj3560-3m-dual-lock?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_supplies-commercial-low-other&utm_custom1=3c01801f-1b33-41c1-8e86-65335e6fe34f&gclid=CL7QzsuAzssCFdU7gQodx-sNKA

• Like 1

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

Does it have to be visible?
there is a nice shelf behind the ECU where the abs module would sit
Perhaps velcroing it in there?

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I keep mine in my backpack. It can be anywhere really, the system should pick it up no matter where you stick it on a bike

pineappleunderthesea
I keep mine in my backpack. It can be anywhere really, the system should pick it up no matter where you stick it on a bike
I've had it not pick up when I had it in my jacket pocket. Had to back up, take it out and wave it around.  I don't know why it wouldn't work, maybe it was facing the wrong way, maybe the battery is getting weak... The next tolls I held it in my left hand, which is actually somewhat dangerous since i couldn't really clutch as I came to the booths and the bike almost stalled.  So definitely need to mount it somewhere next time, or get a new transponder that has a stronger signal.  
  • Like 1

I've had it not pick up when I had it in my jacket pocket. Had to back up, take it out and wave it around.  I don't know why it wouldn't work, maybe it was facing the wrong way, maybe the battery is getting weak... The next tolls I held it in my left hand, which is actually somewhat dangerous since i couldn't really clutch as I came to the booths and the bike almost stalled.  So definitely need to mount it somewhere next time, or get a new transponder that has a stronger signal. 
Interesting. Do you have a wind screen? Maybe some velcro to the underside?

• Premium Member

I commute and ride over two bridges every day, I have never carried the FastTrac device with me, I usually check my FastTrac account and find out that they have deduced the normal fees, as long you register your bike and gives them your license plate, everything should be fine.
Also the cops don't harass the bikers as long they maintain the speed limit when crossing toll bridge.

no plate no ticket, one less thing the state of ca can not get my money for!
Haha, I haven't put my plate on since I got the bike. I might do it at the end of the month.

pineappleunderthesea
I have the OEM fly screen, thinking of somehow mounting it behind that. I just took it out of the car and checked, it does fit. The interior passes are meant to work at an angle (read that on one of the EZ pass websites) so there is a small angle there. Just worried that since the fly screen is opaque it might somehow block the RFID signal, but probably not. ECEB8A1B-FBC3-4D87-8DDB-3341624284A6_zpsx9qtqirh.jpg

I have the OEM fly screen, thinking of somehow mounting it behind that. I just took it out of the car and checked, it does fit. The interior passes are meant to work at an angle (read that on one of the EZ pass websites) so there is a small angle there. Just worried that since the fly screen is opaque it might somehow block the RFID signal, but probably not. ECEB8A1B-FBC3-4D87-8DDB-3341624284A6_zpsx9qtqirh.jpg

Only one way to find out! Lol
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

If it is RFID then the tint will make no difference, unless it is a metal foil tint.

dentalprodigy

This thread reminds me of my fail this past Saturday (see vid below). I had the EZ pass in my zipped Olympia airglide 3 pant pocket but it failed to detect. In the time it took me to put bike in neutral and take my gloves off, my buddy behind me creeped closer and HIS EZ pass got detected. So in confusion, I proceeded ahead. I'll probably get a violation since they'll read my rear plate but not sure.

It was my 1st time going through EZ pass lane on a bike and I wasn't gonna hold it in my left hand. Maybe ill try my tity pockets on the Olympia airglide 4 jacket next time and report back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag8vO-drPSc

• Like 1

suspiciouspackage

When I used to use Fastrak…well first off let me say that SANDAG sucks because they won't allow you to just have the plate on file and not carry the transponder. But when I did it, I carried mine in my inside jacket pocket and it picked up fine and in the outer pocket of my Kriega R25. They both work. Sometimes it wouldn't pick up so it'd only have an entry/exit point but not have the other and in that case, I got charged the minimum $0.50 instead of my usual $1.70.

• Like 1

dentalprodigy
@dentalprodigy nice vid, which exhaust do you have on the bike btw? sounds beautiful
Thanks Vmoto! It's just a M4 slip on exhaust.  No baffle, ECU reflashed by 2WDW second gen. Can't take credit for mods; they were already on bike by original owner.  I really like the bassy + throaty exhaust note.  Not raspy at all.  Always puts a smile on my face everytime I start it up.  
  • Like 1

This thread reminds me of my fail this past Saturday (see vid below). I had the EZ pass in my zipped Olympia airglide 3 pant pocket but it failed to detect. In the time it took me to put bike in neutral and take my gloves off, my buddy behind me creeped closer and HIS EZ pass got detected. So in confusion, I proceeded ahead. I'll probably get a violation since they'll read my rear plate but not sure.  
It was my 1st time going through EZ pass lane on a bike and I wasn't gonna hold it in my left hand. Maybe ill try my tity pockets on the Olympia airglide 4 jacket next time and report back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag8vO-drPSc

Not sure if that was the case in this video but a word of advise, never ever stop in a no-stopping Toll lane. You do that in the Bay Area and you will get creamed.
  • Like 2