The MT-07 Forum

Clutchless down shift

x3rolink

I've been reading up on clutchless downshifts and I was skeptical at first, but decided to give it a shot yesterday. Dude. Smooth. As. Butter.

You can read up on this here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequential_manual_transmission

The article talks about how the gearbox need a brief interruption of torque in order to change gears without pulling in the clutch. In acceleration, all you need to do it let off the gas and shift to next gear. But how do you shift in deceleration?

During acceleration, I like to apply a little pressure for the upshift (Or downshift, when you want to "drop a gear and disappear") and the moment I let off the gas, the bike sorts itself out and that slight pressure on the shifter is enough to change the gear

During deceleration (when I want to engine brake), I let off gas, apply brake, apply a little pressure on the downshift. When I'm ready to shift gears, I blip the throttle, and the bike sorts itself out and changes gear, just like for the up shift

The science behind it is that there needs to be an interruption of torque. In accelerating, the engine is turning the wheel. And when you let off the gas, the wheel is turning the engine. But as it's going from one to another, there is a sweet spot where neither the engine or the wheel is turning each other. It's almost like the perfect sync where the engine speed and wheel speed is spot on

Therefore, in decelerating/engine braking, the wheel is already turning the engine. You can't just downshift (well, you can but you'll have to force it and the bike won't be happy). What you need to do is blip the throttle so that the engine turns on its own and the wheel is no longer turning the engine, and the bike finds that sweet spot where there is no torque transfer to shift gears

I'm sharing this because maaaaaan. It's soooooo smooth. Much more smoother than my revv matched down shifts with clutch. And it's very smooth in low rpm/high gear. And as for me, it's one less thing to worry about. Just like the article states: I only use the clutch at a full stop.

But I have to admit that the clutched revv matched downshift sounds better for sure (maybe because the engine revs higher since there's no load?)

Smoothness is entirely based on which RPM you choose to shift at. It takes a little experimenting to find the perfect range for each bike.

On that note, at 5000 miles, my clutch cable felt weird today. So I checked it out, and it was holding by a thread.
I ordered a new one from the dealer today $18.
Take a look at yours, I am surprised its already worn out.
Or, learn the clutchless shifting (rofl)

Guest Ralph

If the ware was up against the leaver make sure the cable end is free to turn
so you always get a straight pull on the cable.

Archived