The MT-07 Forum

Spring rate?

daver

bmwpowere36m3

@twf or @pattonme

Do either of you know the stock preload on the spring? Based on the free and installed lengths in the manual it's only 7 mm...

bmwpowere36m3

I have yet to measure fork sag myself... but I haven't seen any members post anything either. I think the bike is too new and membership is skewed towards novice/budget riders. Meaning those that don't focus on suspension or those technical details... not to be negative, just reality.

@twf or @pattonme  
Do either of you know the stock preload on the spring? Based on the free and installed lengths in the manual it's only 7 mm...
16mm 
When you take cap off spring and spacer are flush with top of the tube. Meaning cap length is your preload, part of it that goes inside tube, + washer.
Cap + washer is 20mm long. Which preloads springs 20mm but 4mm of that is top out spring.
~7mm in manual would be correct if you account top out spring been fully compressed. 

You asked for installed preload. It would be if top out was fully compressed but it is not. When you install spring and put cap on your fork grows up 4mm (stock spring). This is your fork length with no load on it. It can extend more but needs force to do it.
Stock spring and stock spacer do not fully compress top out spring, only about third of it.

bmwpowere36m3
You asked for installed preload. It would be if top out was fully compressed but it is not. When you install spring and put cap on your fork grows up 4mm (stock spring). This is your fork length with no load on it. It can extend more but needs force to do it. Stock spring and stock spacer do not fully compress top out spring, only about third of it.

Gotcha, so they must list "installed length" as with the top-out spring fully compressed as you said (which is kind of pointless IMHO).  Additionally your measured spring length is a little longer than listed (granted I'm sure there's a length tolerance).

bmwpowere36m3
They used to list weight of the bikes without any fluids, pointless as well since you can't ride it that way :)
That's a little different... lighter is always better ;) 

alright, Zoran (aka @twf) wins this round. I measured again (assuming @merc16's forks are stock) and came up with 0.79-0.82kg/mm. So my heartfelt apologies to those who bought 0.85's from me based on erroneous data.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 1 month later...
bmwpowere36m3

Measured my fork sag tonight (stock forks)… plans to upgrade forks. Bike full of fuel, Akra exhaust, radiator guard, frame/axle sliders, mini front LED turn signals, integrate taillight (no rear turn signals), fender eliminator….

Static sag 20 mm and 37 mm race sag, suited up weight of 190 lbs.

• 1 year later...

Archived