The MT-07 Forum

New in AZ

maritan

Hi Folks,

TLDR: I do not have an FZ yet. Doing my research before I take the plunge.

I have some experience riding motorcycles. I started out with a 2001 Suzuki SV650 that when I first got it, fell in love with. It was so much fun. I had a goofy grin on my face every time I went out on a ride with it. And the best part was that I was able to have fun with it even while commuting. Well, I got in an accident (car pulled out of a parking lot and cut me off) and totaled the bike. I bought the bike back and with the help of a friend, over six months, restored the bike to better than original: GSXR forks (triple, wheel etc.), Penske shocks, ported and polished the intake and exhaust valves, upgraded the shift mechanism, better air filter, adjusted carburetor settings and dynoed it to fine tune air/ fuel ratio.

Two weeks after the bike was complete and rideable and tuned to where it wasn't running too rich or lean through the rev range, I got it inspected, approved and went to where my buddy was working to let him know that I had passed inspection. While I was talking to him, someone came into the store and asked me if the red bike out in the parking lot was mine. I said yes, and he said someone had run over my motorcycle. :'( >:D I ran out ready to beat the guy within an inch of his life and my buddy ran out to prevent that from happening.

The idiot parked next to me had turned out of his parking spot too soon without backing out enough and had run over the front end of my SV. And with his car still over my motorcycle, he was trying to pull out the SV from underneath it. End result? You guessed it: totaled again.

Bought the bike back again from the insurance, fixed the bike back up again and this time decided to make it a track bike. And what fun that was. I eventually even raced competitively for half a season before the economy took a nasty dive. My sponsor ran dry and I couldn't pick up another one in time for the next season.

Then, I bought a lightly used 2004 MV Agusta Brutale 750. Awesome bike, has been super reliable, but over the last couple years, I've been missing the whole riding a "slow" bike fast feeling. The Brutale loves to be ridden fast (think being on a freeway at 80mph with no traffic around it). But, to me, it was just missing something. And I think that something (for me) is having a smaller engine that's a punchy twin.

I started looking around to see what options were currently available and I stumbled on to the FZ-07. While Suzuki still has the SFV650 and is coming out with a new SV650, I'm curious about Yamaha's offering. It seems Yamaha has the same essence: a fun ride that puts a grin on your face every time you go out on it. I know the SV650 (to some extent), so I'm doing my due diligence on the FZ-07:

What does the maintenance schedule look like?
What does reliability look like?
How does the engine feel?
What suspension upgrades are available? (I'm 6' and around 205lbs)
What seat options are available (factory or aftermarket)?

So, there you have it. A long winded journey (and post) to the Yamaha FZ-07. Depending on deals I can get, I'll end up with the FZ or an SV. Thanks for having me folks.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Hi Folks, 
TLDR: I do not have an FZ yet. Doing my research before I take the plunge.

What does the maintenance schedule look like?
What does reliability look like?
How does the engine feel?
What suspension upgrades are available? (I'm 6' and around 205lbs)
What seat options are available (factory or aftermarket)?

So, there you have it. A long winded journey (and post) to the Yamaha FZ-07. Depending on deals I can get, I'll end up with the FZ or an SV. Thanks for having me folks.

Maintenance on the bike is super consumer friendly. Valve checks every 24k, other stuff like plugs and fluids (aside from oil) @ 8k.

Tough to say on reliability since the bike has only been out 2 years, but so far so good for pretty much everyone. 2 strokes aren't new tech.

Engine has been accurately described as "puppyish". Wants to jump and run around. Torque everywhere and plenty of it. She'll go close to 120 stock, but doesn't want to be there. Much happier between 70 and 85. Overall I felt the engine was kind of vibey, especially the first couple gears, but nothing you can't live with.

Lots of suspension options outline on this site. Check it out - http://fz07.org/board/16/yamaha-fz-07-suspension-upgrades

Not a whole lot of aftermarket seat options or factory. Corbin makes a comfort seat. Seat Concepts makes a couple seats. Maybe yamaha makes a comfort seat.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome maritan! That's quite an interesting story! Now you must have a lot of experience fixing and rebuilding bikes. Are you considering buying a 2017 SV650? When I was looking at different bikes to purchase the sv650 is one I considered but I just couldn't see myself riding a bike called a Gladius. The answers to your questions are all here somewhere!  :)

Illegitimi non carborundum

@phicurious86 - Once I found this forum, and I noticed all the subforums, I knew I'd be able to find the answers I wanted. But thanks for your insight. Much appreciated. The only thing that this bike "lacks" seems to be is good suspension. I'll ride the bike stock first to see how it responds to my weight and my riding style, but if needed the suspension will be the first thing to be upgraded.

@hippiebikerchick - Thanks. My story is interesting, if a little painful. But, you could say I know my way around a motorcycle mechanically. I owe it all to my best friend of over a decade. Without him around, I'd still be completely lost. The 2017 SV is definitely in contention. The Gladius name really doesn't bother me at all. :) I mean, most people would say that I must be losing my mind to get rid of an MV for a Yamaha or Suzuki, but I don't care. I ride because I love riding. It doesn't matter what I'm riding - if it happens to be something called a Gladius, so be it. :)

All that said, if Yamaha would only bring the XSR700 over. I'd be all over that - more so than the FZ-07. So far, I haven't seen any concrete info about that coming stateside.

• Global Moderator

If you like the sv650
The fz07 seems to be yamaha's answer to the SV
There are several people on here that have gone through and turned their 'slow' bike into track day screamers
@pgeldz comes immediately to mind
@gogokawi i think as well
AP Motoarts also has full race setups for their FZ07R project

theres also the fact that there arent enough fz riders on here that live in AZ
always looking for more peoples to ride with

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I'm in the east valley. Let me know if anyone wants to go riding sometime.
My buddy has a 2013 SFV (Gladius). Suzuki dropped the Gladius designation for 2015 I believe, and will drop the F in SfV for MY2017, bringing the SV full circle, including the round headlight.
Now, I have a little over 100lbs net on him, but the FZ-07 walks briskly away from the Gladius. I used to stomp his ass into the ground on a Ninja 1000, and am happy to say I still pull ahead on the Yami, which is more fun around town, TBH.

- Andy

Archived