The MT-07 Forum

Track Day Prep ...

jake

• Premium Member

Wanted to start this on advice and how to for the newbs like me for track days I'm going to do my first hopefully soon and this is a few videos to help.
Please those of you with experience feel free to pipe in ....
I will be taking the FZ for the track day I think. I'm taking the Buell in for service and for one not as comfortable with it and 2 don't think it will be ready in time, although it would be a better track bike IMO.

First track day is now for the 16 th of April then I have one in June and one in July. Ill keep you posted

track day check list for at the track here your rules may differ

https://bay179.mail.live.com/mail/ViewOfficePreview.aspx?messageid=mgBgFX0KcB5hGN_QAbeLur8g2&folderid=flinbox&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&n=7327946

I will also try to make a video or 2 on how too for the FZ ... stay tuned ...

Picked up a suit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272081422297
Boots I picked these up for 100 bucks
http://www.amazon.com/Spidi-XP3-S-Street-Motorcycle-Boots/dp/B008AFJPMQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Tire tread depth  should be 50% or better for the day I have Michelin that when new are 7/32 new Have glove that protect the wristHave boots that cover the ankles Tape up windscreen, lights, signals ( most use painters tape it comes off easy )
I'll update more after the track day this weekend

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
superhawk848

Compared to 20 years ago, track day prep now is much less than it was then. At the minimum, disconnect brake light, remove or tape up mirrors. That's it. antifreeze is acceptable by some organizations

• Premium Member

So I changed my mind about taking the FZ I cant risk damaging it for my road trip so I'm going to take the Buell.

• Global Moderator
So I changed my mind about taking the FZ I cant risk damaging it for my road trip so I'm going to take the Buell.
Pansy :P

Jk... get some video and superimpose the fz over the buell?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
Pansy :P 
Jk... get some video and superimpose the fz over the buell?
I know right ... Well I didn't want to have to take the Buell  on a road trip for 10 days lol. The FZ could do it no question but I don't want to press my luck. The FZ is my baby I want to take care of her lol 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Picked up suit and now the first track day will Be the 16 of April and I bought 2 more days on sale for 100 each one in June and one in July.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Ok so this is a Bump but its because I decided to take the FZ instead of the Buell to the track for several reasons. One the FZ is lets face it faster from 0-60, Two the FZ is much more flickable and easier to handle. After pushing the Buell to my safe limits the FZ just seemed more comfortable.

I have no issues with the suspension I'm able to regulate the throttle to make the bike do for the most part what I want and even been able to change my line with no issue.

• Premium Member

First track day....

Can you take the FZ-07 in stock form ... Yes
Will you have fun.....Hell yes
will you be a better rider at the end of the day ... for sure

This bike is not the best track bike in stock form first off Tires, street tires for the track is a bad idea.

the stock handle bars are no good because its hard to stay leaned over and stay comfortable

A rear set is a must IMO.

But to change the bars and the rear set takes away the comfort of the bike.

• Premium Member

Awesome man! Glad you made it out on track!

Any grip issues with all the changing surfaces? I know here in town when it gets hot those thin ribbons of tar strips to fill in the cracks on the pavement get extremely slippery...

Either way, great to see you getting the FZ-07 on track!

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
Awesome man! Glad you made it out on track! 
Any grip issues with all the changing surfaces? I know here in town when it gets hot those thin ribbons of tar strips to fill in the cracks on the pavement get extremely slippery...

Either way, great to see you getting the FZ-07 on track!

:)

- Paulie
Yes the stock Bridgestone tires are not a track tire at all I was sliding all over. Gratton is one of the most technical track in Mi and in reverse was even more technical. If I had slicks I would have been fine I was scrapping my boot with the tires sliding out all day made it hard to relax. On the back side straight away there it a small hill and my front tire was off the ground  almost every time. 
Had a blast it took me out of my comfort zone but I learned how to ride much better, the track takes it to a whole new level IMO. If you think you have skills and have not been to a track well go to a track to have your eyes opened. I do not recommend any one take there Z unless they are 100% confident in there skills on the streets it no joke. 6 people crashed that day.

• Premium Member

And fyi it changes everything so be careful what you wish for. I'm looking at getting a straight up track bike because of one track day lol

• Premium Member

It sure can be addictive! I started doing track days last year with Yami (my FZ-07), and I'm seriously hooked :)

- Paulie

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the video you seem to be twisting your body a lot and leaving your head over the centre line of the bike. Interestingly you get you head out over the inside bar on a few corners than go right back to twisting. Worth a try to concentrate on getting you head in the right place more than your knee. Slide your whole body sideways butt, body AND head. You won't have to lean as far and can get on the throttle earlier.
God I wish I could have had videos of me when I was racing it makes it so easy to pick up improvement stuff.
Have you watched the "twist of the Wrist 2" DVD? If not, worth a look.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

straydogeod

I did a track day 3 days after I picked my FZ up at NJMP on Pilot Road 3s and they did surprisingly well for a street tire. I echo your statements about fun and rider improvement. The things that needed some upgrades though for me were the throttle travel (I had to adjust my hand a bunch to grab the amount of go faster I wanted) so I fixed that with an R6 throttle tube, next will be emulators from Forks by Matt, possibly a regearing (+2 in the rear) and after that, more track oriented tires.  I ordered a pre-drilled oil drain bolt(also magnetic)/fill plug today to make safety wiring easy.

To be honest, in stock form the bike was still a riot so I'm not super concerned with the mods aside from the emulators. Even still, for a budget bike the suspension wasn't all that bad. Certainly squishy but did much better than I anticipated.

howlinhoss

What are you all doing to secure your coolant reservoir? It is just held on by one bolt. I suspect in a crash the whole reservoir might get ripped off.

• Premium Member
Watching the video you seem to be twisting your body a lot and leaving your head over the centre line of the bike. Interestingly you get you head out over the inside bar on a few corners than go right back to twisting. Worth a try to concentrate on getting you head in the right place more than your knee. Slide your whole body sideways butt, body AND head. You won't have to lean as far and can get on the throttle earlier. God I wish I could have had videos of me when I was racing it makes it so easy to pick up improvement stuff.
Have you watched the "twist of the Wrist 2" DVD? If not, worth a look.
Those are not me in the videos but I did do that.... LOL yeah the one guy said I look like im riding like a motard haha
yep watched twist of the wrist 10 or more times before I got the FZ ( my first bike ) different when you are out on the track Gratton is said to be one of the most technical tracks from what they say. I was out side of my comfort zone for sure.

• Premium Member
What are you all doing to secure your coolant reservoir? It is just held on by one bolt. I suspect in a crash the whole reservoir might get ripped off.
I did nothing and didn't have to put in coolant/water wet in novice. I suspect in a crash the reservoir will be the last thing I'm worried about lol 

potatochips
I do not recommend any one take there Z unless they are 100% confident in there skills on the streets it no joke. 6 people crashed that day.

People of all skill levels should go to the track, and street skills are almost irrelevant on the track, probably improper technique anyway.

Not trying to be a dick, I just want to make sure nobody is discouraged from going based on what you said. I've seen brand new riders on the track, though that depends on the org. And your chances of crashing are almost zero (always the chance of some idiot plowing into you) as long as you ride within your limits.

This all applies to going to a track day with an org that has a novice group. Some tracks have open days and you're riding with all skill levels with very little supervision.

• Premium Member
I do not recommend any one take there Z unless they are 100% confident in there skills on the streets it no joke. 6 people crashed that day.
People of all skill levels should go to the track, and street skills are almost irrelevant on the track, probably improper technique anyway. 
Not trying to be a dick, I just want to make sure nobody is discouraged from going based on what you said. I've seen brand new riders on the track, though that depends on the org. And your chances of crashing are almost zero (always the chance of some idiot plowing into you) as long as you ride within your limits.

This all applies to going to a track day with an org that has a novice group. Some tracks have open days and you're riding with all skill levels with very little supervision.
That's fine you have the right to your opinion but I stand by what I say if you are not confident riding on the street stay off the track. 

straydogeod

I also disagree because the track is the best place to learn how to ride safely. It's a one way street with no animals, cops, or cagers and there is normally a medic there on standby. The street has all those hazards plus guard rails, trees and medical support is 30 minutes to several hours away.

I will agree that if you are new to riding you shouldn't just show up and try to jump into the intermediate group but if there is an organization who does advanced rider training a track day will start you off on the right foot as far as riding safely on the street.

• Premium Member

That is why they have classes/courses, you don't want to just jump into a track day sorry that just bad advice IMO. At the track I was at if you made a mistake in the corner you paid for it. So they do offer classes up here for more of a learning/class setting I would highly recommend that before you hit your first track day.
On a side not I think everyone should do a track day but its like down hill skiing you don't hit the black diamond on your first day you hit the bunny hill and in this case the bunny hill is the street( in a safe manner learning throttle control breaking and counter steer).

The other aspect is all the gear you need to even do a track day. Some places when its a class day let you get away with not having all the gear and prep to your bike but that the best way to find out if you even want to get involved in the track.

straydogeod

I think we are saying the same thing? :P

As in doing a free form track is bad times for a noob but a slower paced, controlled environment like an Advanced Rider Training where you have classroom in between sessions and coaches giving pointers is great for any beginner skill level.

potatochips

As I said, I've seen brand new riders on the track, they were in little to no danger in the novice class. I can't imagine them on the streets, little room for error. I agree though, an open track day is not a good idea, but most orgs with novice class should be ok. I'd recommend anyone with little experience to contact someone with the org and explain their experience before committing to anything.

This is a good conversation, as you said Jake, anyone can read this thread and form their own opinion if they are thinking of doing their first track day.

Archived