The MT-07 Forum

Fork braces???

avanti

• Premium Member

A search didn't turn up much here on fork braces for our bike.  Who might have installed one???  Any comments?

I just bought one, see pic, and didn't realize the little plastic stock fork protectors that encircle each "leg" have to be removed to install it, which is fine if one is disassembling the forks anyway, but I'm not. So, I guess I can make a couple temporary aluminum shields to put above and below the protectors and cut them most the way through with a Dremel tool, then pop them in two with a prier.  The parts manual shows they are simply plastic rings.

Any install comments?  Thanks, in advance.

• Premium Member

Just adding a little extra "stiffening." It is simply the kind of routine reinforcing I do with things I fabricate and makes some sense to me on forks, as well. Btw, these came from an ebay vendor I've bought from before and been pleased with.

Hmmm. I love upgrades, but if pros aren't using them it goes into me waste-of-money list. If they do use them it goes into my probs don't need but can guiltily justify? :) I've never heard of Street pros using these. An I wrong?

Looks cool though. It gets style points even if it doesn't get performance points.

Fork braces used to help when we had smaller diameter forks or on heavier bikes, but for on the street, on this bike, I think you may be struggling to notice the difference. On the track you can get some serious stiffening ( especially if you class mandates stock ( shaped ) front fender) by making a carbon fibre one and putting 10 or more layers underneath between the mounting bolts. Used to do that with the tiny classes with wet spaghetti forks.
Still they have a bling factor if that's what you are after.
From the design these would be struggling to control any torsional loads.

EDIT: Actually on second look. If you over laid the top and bottom of the centre plate with sufficient carbon fibre and allowed it to sag into the holes enough to tie either side and compress the resin to get a good carbon/resin ratio. Make sure the bolts go through the carbon and Viola! Might just be a working fork brace. It would certainly stiffen the brace.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

Thanks for the imput. I don't see how they could hurt, if nothing else.

bmwpowere36m3

I would work better if it was located further down by the fender... like gregjet alluded to. Up between the triple clamps makes no sense, since the triples are WAY stiffer.

Fork braces were good on long-stroke conventional forks of small diameter, like found on older dirk bikes.

• Premium Member

It DOES fit tight against the top of the fender. Where else would one put a fork brace--certainly NOT at the triple-clamps! Even I'm not THAT dumb.

That is why I mentioned removing/cutting off the little plastic fork-protectors (which are on each leg right beside the fender. The brace bolts on to the tubes where these little plastic nubbins are attached.

I thought fork braces were more commonly understood. Perhaps, I simply was not clear; if so, my bad. Sorry.

Archived