The MT-07 Forum

Using "Yamalube" Oil vs Others Voids Warranty?

rwynne24

I thought I was told when I went in to get my first service done ( I read on here just to skip the official "first service" so I just got an oil change and a chain tighten, they wanted $300 for first service!!) that if I don't use the official "Yamalube" when changing my oil it would void my warranty? Is that true? I was planning on using the "Castrol Power RS" and a K&N filter as suggested by another user on here. Although I hear the Yamaha Y.E.S warranty is a joke anyways I wouldn't want something to happen and me end up screwed over some oil.

This is my first bike so I'd like to learn how to do maitnence myself, I feel like that's the whole fun of it just working on your bike! If it doesn't void my warranty, would you guys suggest any other oil besides the Castrol and K&N filter mixture? Thank you!

• Premium Member

I'm pretty sure not using Yamalube can not void your warranty, unless the oil you use (canola oil for instance) caused the malfunction that you are trying to get covered under the warranty. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

I'm pretty sure not using Yamalube can not void your warranty, unless the oil you use (canola oil for instance) caused the malfunction that you are trying to get covered under the warranty. :)
Gdamnit!!!  >:D  Now I have to dump my Canola!

Beemer

• Premium Member

I've been using Motul 7100 and the bike is responsive and shifts smooth. I purchased a PC racing stainless steel reusable filter and love that too. Built like a tank and has nice features. Haven't changed the air filter yet as I've heard you should probably be tuning the fueling or ECU if you do that. Links below plus magnetic drain plugs that work nicely.

Motul 7100 Synthetic Ester Motor Oil - 10W40 - 4 Liter 836341 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKCY9RK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_gnc6wbV55EWJV
Outlaw Racing Magnetic Oil Drain Plug 14mm x 1.5 Yamaha Motorcycle FJ FJR XJ XS XT XV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWDBQSK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Koc6wb32G6EKT
PC Racing PCS1 Flo Stainless Steel Reusable Oil Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYUXCUA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zdc6wbSB1YFC5

Guest Ralph

It may count for nothing in the U.S I am in the U.K but
my first service was done by a Yam main dealer and they
used Motul 7100 not Yam oil.

I edited it cause it wasn't a good joke anyway.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

I'm out raged... because I just can't stand the thought of killing and crushing those little baby canolas, just for their oil.

• Premium Member
I've been using Motul 7100 and the bike is responsive and shifts smooth. I purchased a PC racing stainless steel reusable filter and love that too. Built like a tank and has nice features. Haven't changed the air filter yet as I've heard you should probably be tuning the fueling or ECU if you do that. Links below plus magnetic drain plugs that work nicely. 
Motul 7100 Synthetic Ester Motor Oil - 10W40 - 4 Liter 836341 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKCY9RK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_gnc6wbV55EWJV
Outlaw Racing Magnetic Oil Drain Plug 14mm x 1.5 Yamaha Motorcycle FJ FJR XJ XS XT XV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWDBQSK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Koc6wb32G6EKT
PC Racing PCS1 Flo Stainless Steel Reusable Oil Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYUXCUA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zdc6wbSB1YFC5

I used Rotella T5 Synthetic on the first @ 200 miles.  I actually switched to Motul 300V on my second change - about 2K miles. Not sure what the difference is between 300V and 7100, but it runs and shifts nicely with the 300V (It should for the price).

• Global Moderator

Canola oil works great. Just try to remember the last time you heard a sqeaky canola.

• Premium Member

@twowheeladdict You really can't go wrong with Mobil 1 from what I've seen.

@twowheeladdict You really can't go wrong with Mobil 1 from what I've seen.
I'm running Amsoil. Yamalube is way overpriced - especially for dino oil,  imo. A switch to another brand of quality oil in the right Vis range will (almost) never violate a warranty. Switch to at least a semi synth as soon as possible - the tranny will shift much better.  
Mobil 1 is what comes in a modern Corvette from new. The owner's manual apparently specifies Mobil1 and vis. In that case, i think Chevy might have a case if you switched to something else and something went wrong inside the motor. 

But if the manual just says 10w40 or whatever, as long as you have records of the oil/filter change, there's nothing they can do if you swap to synthetic whatever. I do like to stay with OE filters however

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

If you look here you should be able to replace the oil with your choice. Yamaha would need to prove that your action caused the defect where you are claiming warranty repairs. I use Shell Rotella T or Rotella T6 for my oil changes. As long as you get the correct viscosity (No friction Modifiers), volume, and replace the filter you should be fine.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

It does say in the manual: "Engine oil: Recommended Brand : YAMALUBE"
That is probably why your service department said that, but it is only "Recommended" and not "Required".
You can use any oil, but I would never use anything that doesn't have a JASO-MA, or JASO-MA2 rating on a wet clutch bike.
(Rotella has it, as do all of the motorcycle specific oils I've seen).

Here is an interesting read on the subject: Oils well that ends well (Part 2) - part one was more of an overview.
Interesting indeed! Maybe it's not fair to compare Yamaha's dino lube to full synths, but, it stands out like a sore thumb in all of the tests - and not in a good way.  
After seeing rusty timing gear inside my last BMW K bike (run with BMW's branded oil) it was that acid test that swayed me to Amsoil years ago. As an added benefit, as soon as I switched to it in my Aprilia, the swarf on the magnetic drain plug decreased to near nothing and what was a grabby clutch (in Motul semi-synth) turned smooth as silk.  

• Global Moderator

To answer the question; no, it will not void your warranty if you use a different brand of oil. As long as you use the same spec oil, you will be fine. They recommend Yamalube because they sell it at a profit. But I do like Yamalube, there is nothing wrong with it and I have easy access. But I use Rotella the bike.

Fun fact concerning the term 'Dino'; oil does not actually come from crushed dinosaurs but mostly from algae and plant material from long ago. There weren't enough dino's around back then to provide the huge amount of oil we find.

A fun fact concerning Canola oil: The "Can" part stands for Canada and "ola" refers to oil. Needless to say that it is excellent. ;)

bmwpowere36m3

Motor oils are really good these days, you could run the cheapest and likely the engine will outlive the bike. Me, I'll stick with "cheapo" Rotella T.

I decided on going with "Castrol 06114 Power1 10W-50 Synthetic 4T " with a K&N 204 Oil filter. After reading up on it it seems that a lot of people are experiencing smoother shifting as well as lower engine temps and some better throttle response. It'll be interesting to see how much (or little) of a difference it makes! Ill keep you guys updated on this oil and filter combo incase anyone wants to try it out! Thanks for all the responses!

• Premium Member

I've been using Wix filters for the last 3 bikes I've had, plus a couple friends, along with Castrol 10w-40. On the 07, it calls for a 51358, but I used a 51365 instead. Larger return holes and silicone ADBV compared to the 58's nitrile valve.

- Andy

• 2 weeks later...
To answer the question; no, it will not void your warranty if you use a different brand of oil. As long as you use the same spec oil, you will be fine. They recommend Yamalube because they sell it at a profit. But I do like Yamalube, there is nothing wrong with it and I have easy access. But I use Rotella the bike. 
Fun fact concerning the term 'Dino'; oil does not actually come from crushed dinosaurs but mostly from algae and plant material from long ago. There weren't enough dino's around back then to provide the huge amount of oil we find.

A fun fact concerning Canola oil: The "Can" part stands for Canada and "ola" refers to oil. Needless to say that it is excellent. ;)
I just looked up Canola oil - You're right! I like knowing little things like that. Thanks! 

AlbatrossCafe
 Links below plus magnetic drain plugs that work nicely. 

Do you find yourself catching anything with the magnetic drain plug? How many miles do you have on your bike? 

• Premium Member

@albatrosscafe I only have 2k miles on the bike and after my 600 mile service I'm planning on doing my oil change at every 3k miles. So I'll get back to in 1k miles with pics and all. Between the magnet in the oil filter and on the plug I would hope little to no metallic fibers slip by.

AlbatrossCafe
@albatrosscafe I only have 2k miles on the bike and after my 600 mile service I'm planning on doing my oil change at every 3k miles. So I'll get back to in 1k miles with pics and all. Between the magnet in the oil filter and on the plug I would hope little to no metallic fibers slip by.
It was only $8 so I already ordered it anyway lol. I am curious to see how much it catches. 

Archived