The MT-07 Forum

Lane splitting petition

so1102

AlbatrossCafe

I've been ticketed once for filtering at a light here in WA and another time when I was splitting I passed a cop who turned his lights & sirens on at me but couldn't move because he was stuck in traffic and there was no shoulder 8-) . Luckily he didn't get my plate cus I didn't stop.

This might sound a little backwards but I wish I was more afraid of other drivers when splitting than getting a ticket/going to jail. Right now it is the other way around.

Wow, that's not going to make it.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I am not in favor of lane splitting. 

I guess that makes two of us. I just don't see the need for it and looks unsafe.  
Are you guys in that big of a hurry?

I guess that makes two of us. I just don't see the need for it and looks unsafe.  

You do understand even if lane splitting was legal, you are not required to lane split. 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

You do understand even if lane splitting was legal, you are not required to lane split.
Obviously... 

AlbatrossCafe

Too many people (cars & motorcyclists alike) are against lane splitting because it "looks unsafe" which is a thought founded by fear rather examining the facts. My guess is that you have no experience with it. If not, I would take a trip to California and sit in <10mph traffic for an hour in gear while the ground temperature on that asphalt is pushing 100 degrees. 
Just because you don't see the need for it doesn't mean that others should not be able to take advantage of it! I don't think "free solo rock climbing" is safe but that doesn't mean I want it illegal.

If I split lanes & filter at every light, I can effectively cut 10-20 minutes each way of my commute. That is about 30 minutes a day saved, which adds up to 2.5 hours a week or 5.2 days a year.  That might not seem like a lot, but it makes a huge difference to me anyway.

• Premium Member

@barneyfife - if you are NOT in favor..., just don't do it.
I see it all the time here in California, some bikers choose not to do lane splitting. Lane splitting is not for the weak heart, but it shouldn't be banned for everyone, they should be given the option.

Too many people (cars & motorcyclists alike) are against lane splitting because it "looks unsafe" which is a thought founded by fear rather examining the facts. My guess is that you have no experience with it. If not, I would take a trip to California and sit in <10mph traffic for an hour in gear while the ground temperature on that asphalt is pushing 100 degrees. 
Just because you don't see the need for it doesn't mean that others should not be able to take advantage of it! I don't think "free solo rock climbing" is safe but that doesn't mean I want it illegal.

If I split lanes & filter at every light, I can effectively cut 10-20 minutes each way of my commute. That is about 30 minutes a day saved, which adds up to 2.5 hours a week or 5.2 days a year.  That might not seem like a lot, but it makes a huge difference to me anyway.

Understood. I didn't think of it the way you put it.  
I will never encounter the traffic that you do. 

It is very safe if done correctly. Its done millions of times a year in California and also in England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and many many other countries. Its just an other technic to master, like anything that could be dangerous if not done right.

Since the president likes to do this it makes more sense to put the lane splitting into the form of a rider (something he understands and can say, "I didn't see it in there!" to claim innocence in case it goes south. In other words, you have to give him an out to make it look safe for himself) and slip it into a bill we know is going to pass one day (legalized marijuana for instance, ha, jk). 

On another note:

Did you know that one puff of marijuana, the devils drug, will make you want to kill people? It was reported that a dingo ate some and then attacked and killed a human baby.  ;)

[attachment id=1563" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

I have lived in CA all my life and I don't lane split all that often, part of it because I don't feel as comfortable as other riders but mostly because I know how dumb drivers can be and how prevalent dumb drivers are. That being said, I filter every chance I get at lights, this is one of the best things about being a rider around here, you relieve congestion by not waiting in queue and you get on with your life faster. Thee only down side is that some drivers block you because they think of driving as a game they have to win.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it should be up the rider whether or not they want to subject themselves to the danger and should have that option. (Even with the members of the Calamari Race Team weaving through traffic and coming within a dick's width of killing themselves and scratching my car.)

• Premium Member

I live in California and Lane splitting has many advantages. For one, traffic stops and slows down for any and every reason. Take for instance a vehicle broke down on the side of the road. Now there is a couple mile backup because everyone wants to be nosey and rubber neck. If I was in my car, thought could possibly add another hour time to my commute and it would when I was commuting 67 miles one way. Riding my motorcycle being able to split lanes, I was saving an hour of travel both ways everyday. If you're not comfortable doing it then you don't have to. It just gives other motorcyclist the opportunity to do it without reprimand. Am I in a hurry, sometimes I may be and sometimes not, but I'd rather get though all the crazy traffic than sit in it for nothing while my motorcycle is overheating.

Archived