The MT-07 Forum

Lane splitting petition

so1102

• Premium Member

And done. Mostly I just wish I could filter through traffic at a stop without getting harassed by the police.

Good luck, cant help you though, Just thinking id take really bad not being able to lane split, it just feels so natural/normal.

twowheeladdict

I will filter at a light, and breakdown lane to next exit, but splitting lanes at speed with the caliber of drivers today.

2015 FZ-07

I would have to worry about retaliatory drivers here. Sometimes they will go out of their way to make sure you can't pass them even when it is legal.

booboobusfz07
I would have to worry about retaliatory drivers here. Sometimes they will go out of their way to make sure you can't pass them even when it is legal.

In ca it is ileagal for a car to move in a way to cause harm to the rider or prevent them from lane sharing/splitting.

Do I actually see cops do anything about this? Well no. But if they are cited it carries a hefty fine or possible jail time if the driver actively causes the rider harm.

• Global Moderator
If you live in the US, sign this petition so that the white house has to address the idea of lane splitting being legal in all 50 states:  https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-it-legal-all-motorcyclists-within-united-states-america-split-lanes-httpsgoogl2t2vul
Done and done
i would love to see the govt actually do something positive with this

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Not really an issue in Colorado Springs, but in Denver traffic...  different story.   >:D

Signed. Thanks for the heads up.

• Premium Member

Also for our Cali friends: you guys sign too! Being 'not explicitly illegal' isn't the same as being legal, so you have stakes in this as well

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I signed, had my wife sign, my sister in-law and posted on my facebook requesting all to sign.

SigSide.jpg

Aren't traffic laws governed by state and not the federal government? I'd imagine so, since it's legal in CA but not any other state. I feel like this is exactly what the president would say if this went through since it's not their jurisdiction.
if the government makes it legal each state could tweak the law how they want. example: horse meat is not illegal in the us but each state has their own laws on it. same thing with lane splitting.    

Aren't traffic laws governed by state and not the federal government? I'd imagine so, since it's legal in CA but not any other state. I feel like this is exactly what the president would say if this went through since it's not their jurisdiction.
if the government makes it legal each state could tweak the law how they want. example: horse meat is not illegal in the us but each state has their own laws on it. same thing with lane splitting.   
It's already like that.  Lane splitting is not illegal according to federal law. Each state can make their own laws on it. I think he meant its basically a waste of the president of the United State's time to have to fool around with a silly petition about lane splitting. Don't get me wrong, I wish I had lane splitting where I am, but I'm not going to bother the president of the United States of America with it. In the grand scheme of things, especially what's going on now, lane splitting is an extremely minor, minor issue. One more thing I wanted to add is that the government does not have to "make it legal" for American citizens to be "authorized" to do something.  It is a sad day when American's yearn for our government to make something legal so we are then allowed to do it.  The way it was meant to work in this "free" country is that the government is supposed to make things illegal, within the boundaries of the constitution, that citizens agree should be illegal.

Yea, I believe its a state issue and not a Federal one, but I signed it anyway. I hope to finally being able to do it legally one day ;)

I hope so too. It kills me during rush hour traffic when I'm stood still and staring down a path that could be easily used for lane splitting, while also fitting in another car. 
I only feel like these petitions could be better addressed. They should be directed to individual state legislators that could make lane splitting legal.

• Premium Member

Signed. I think this is my third one to sign over the years but there's always hope!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Signed & done from the lovely state of California.
We love to help anyway possible.

603nytroxtx

Signed and sealed.

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen