The MT-07 Forum

Old(er) newb

Jeckler

• Premium Member

Name's Andy. I'm from Mesa, AZ. I've been riding off and on for about 30 years. I started with hotwiring my brother's Yamaha 850 triple, then taking his CB750F SS (using the key this time) out on joyrides. I had an '81 GS650G for a few years, then a Nighthawk 750 and just recently, a '14 Ninja 1000.
I just sold the N1K last week to due a couple issues. I was either going to die on it, or go to jail. It can do 0-nomorelicense in about 4 seconds. Also I had issues with vibration making my hands go numb after 30 minutes or so. 
I've ridden the FZ's at demo rides, first the 9 when it came out and loved it, except for the snatchy throttle business, and then the 7 when it was released. I haven't spent a significant amount of time on either one though. Which brings me to my next bike. I love the look on the new Indian's. So I rented a Chief Vintage yesterday for an extended 'test ride'. I ended up bringing it back early for a couple reasons, most notably was that I really couldn't stand having my feet in front of me, and my back was absolutely killing me by about 50 miles in.
So I'm back to looking at nakeds. I could go for an 09, but I'd be in almost the same boat, speed-junky wise as the Ninja. The 07 seems to still have the power to get me where (and when) I want to go, but I'd be able to enjoy it more. I've also looked at the SFV650. In fact, my buddy has one and it's been in my garage (condo, parking lot re-surface) for a couple weeks and I've taken it out on a few rides. It doesn't quite have the oomph I'm looking for, but IIRC from riding the 07, it does. Or maybe not, being spoiled on 1043cc. 
Most of my riding will be around town, 50mph or thereabouts, but the good roads are 40-50 miles away, so I will be using the freeway occasionally, typically running around 70-75mph to get there. I'll look around the general and tech forums to see what kind of info I can find on wind management, though I'd rather avoid having to buy a 'screen, and any vibration/numbness issues people have.
But anyway, I'm here and figured I'd introduce myself like a good community member.

- Andy

There is no avoiding it, you get a 07 or 09 and you will need a windscreen if you don't want to get used to the wind blasting you.

My advice is just get a FZ09, get a nice exhaust, and get the ECU flashed. Throttle won't be snatchy after that. The sound is gorgeous, and you will bypass the "own the FZ07 for 6 months and yearn for something stronger based on your bike history". You say you don't want to die or go to jail, but its in you. Even if you have the FZ07, you will be going way too fast on it regardless. But then you'll have that feeling where the bike is struggling to make you go fast and that is why you should just get the FZ09.

You're riding your buddy's SV and already you are saying its too weak. 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Welcome, I'm a little more vintage than you and think you've found about the perfect bike for your requirements, good, all around performance, economy and size. On the freeway, the bike accelerates nicely from 65-85 mph for passing purposes but the wind is an issue, even with my Puig sport windscreen, I'm 5'9" and the wind hits me in the sternum. I think just a little taller, 1-2", would put the wind up to just below helmet level and still be small and way below eye level, it doesn't take much to deflect just enough air to be comfortable. I've never owned a bike with windscreen but these small ones can be effective and unobtrusive.

Because of continuous rain, I only have a few rides on my -07 but my first impressions were as follows: very nice power through out the rpm range, suspension could use some work, especially over rougher sections of road and nose dive on braking, at 85 mph wind a bit annoying, pegs in good place for my size and old knees but maybe not for go fasters, some vibes thru bars but not as much as my DRZ440 (will probably work on this after I see how ecu flash goes, I might pursue composite bars as they worked well to damp vibes on DRZ). My hands are sensitive to vibes so may not be an issue for others. I didn't even think about the seat so that could be a good sign but only a longer ride will tell.

This engine is nice and appears to respond very well to performance upgrades, check out Hordboys posts on his -07 engine work. Some will ask why not just buy the -09 but I like smaller, lighter bikes and the style of this one, I also like throttle by cable not wire and with 80-85 hp on 87 octane, this would be just about right and not that hard to obtain. My bike has the Yosh R77 exhaust with db killer in and with a flash and air box upgrade should be just about right and maintains the stock torque/hp curves but at higher values. I think in dirt track form this engine should be around 95-100 hp, just based on what I've seen from the preliminary work done by the likes of Hord racing, only time will tell, it's early days. The nice thing about all the interest in this engine as a race platform is all the resulting performance mods/parts that will come of it. Of course this will also reveal the engines shortcomings which will also be interesting.

A lot of people consider this an entry level bike but back in the mid 60's this would have been a super bike and would have wiped almost any thing on the road, stock. It's a cool little bike and fills a niche for me and apparently a few others, not to big & not to small. Good luck with your decision...Mark

• Premium Member

I think you've read some pretty sound logic for the pros and cons of the FZ-07. I was originally fixated on the FZ-09, but when the FZ-07 came out, I was kinda torn. The things that decided it for me were the rave reviews of the engine, and the lighter weight package. The FZ-07 has more than enough torque and power to get me into all kinds of trouble, and it also has enough to keep outta trouble when it becomes necessary to squirt between vehicles in traffic. I have no regrets ...well, I better qualify that, I have no regrets about buying the 07. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

While it was nice having the windscreen on the Ninja, it really only kept the wind off my chest, and sent it all to my helmet. Riding my old bikes, and my buddy's SFV, at least it's a (mostly) smooth stream instead.
And while I do appreciate the power of the 09, I still wonder if it's really more than I need. Don't get me wrong, I love going fast, but IMO, there is such a thing as getting there too quickly. Then it's all over.
My buddy hasn't been riding lately anyway, so I'll continue to ride the SFV when I can. As an example, back in November, he brought it over and we spent an hour or so cleaning it. He rode it to work once, then it sat under his carport until a couple weeks ago. I had to wash it again before I put it in my garage.
I work from home, so I only really go out for rides on the weekends. It's actually kind of fun to flog the hell out of it and not end up doing 130 before the end of the onramp, so to speak. It will do 103 if the 'ramp is long enough though. :)
I think I like the styling of the 07 better than the 09, especially the tail. They had a slightly modified one on the floor of the dealer today that had a tidy on it, plus color-matched grills (red) in the pockets under the seat. It really set the back of the bike apart from the stock one sitting right next to it. Finally, I've been reading the 09 forums for a couple years now and never registered. Here, a couple weeks.
Thanks for the responses so far, it gives me some things to think about. The local dealer says the demo truck is coming in April, so I'll get a chance for another ride on an 07... and an 09.

- Andy

I don't think there exists a human alive that would ever say that the FZ09 looks aesthetically better than the FZ07. Let's face it, the FZ09 is borderline ugly, if not just plain ol' ugly. But I overlook that fact when I get on one and ride it.

Man, a dealership had their demo last weekend from 9-12th and I was unavailable the entire time. I wanted to try an R6. Oh well, season has just about started, I'm sure there will be others. Looking to try out a Kawasaki Z1000 as well.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome! Good luck with your search and let us know what you get.

• Premium Member

I picked this up this afternoon. 9400mi., has a full Yoshi exhaust, Pazzo levers, at least the brake, the clutch doesn't have the logo, 1 bar end mirror and the PO put 2 red LED strips under the seat and back fender. Those will probably have to go. Also has LED turn signals and headlight bulb.
I bought it from a dealer, of sorts. He's a custom bike builder, so has his dealer license. He buys bikes in bulk from car dealers who'd gotten them in trade and resells them. I think I did OK for $5700. This bike actually belonged to one of the employees at the dealer. Mike, the seller, is going to see if he can get the stock parts. I mostly want the mirrors.

FZ-07_zpsbf33cvnn.jpg
Anyone recognize this? It has a brownish-red tint to the finish.
Mirror_zpspbwz0upy.jpg

- Andy

Well, looks like a CRG arrow, but unless it says CRG in the back close to the narrow end, probably an ebay special.

How does the FZ07 feel compared to your buddy's SFV?

I can say the 07 is a fun bike with a real nice running engine and perfect for the type of riding you'll usually be doing. My windscreen blocks a good part of the wind at highway speeds (70+ mph) so I can loosen my grip some which equates to less numbness or no numbness in the hands. (depends on the day for me) If an 07 isn't fast enough for your taste then get an 09. Good luck!

UPDATE: LOL! ENJOY! Let us know what you think of it. I'm especially curious to know if it has enough power for you around town.

Beemer

• Premium Member

It does have the CRG logo on the small end, thanks duenan. It wouldn't be so bad if was black or red, but the strange color it is now doesn't flow at all. I don't see that color on CRG's site, so I wonder if used to be black and has faded.
The Yoshi is tame at idle, but has a vicious bark. I'm told the baffle is in it, haven't gotten down to check it out closely though. Power wise though, it's good, better than the SFV, that's for sure. Wind management is good for not having any 'screen at all. Smooth, not at all turbulent like even the SFV and Ninja were.
It gets tagged/titled/insured today.

- Andy

Nah, that's not fade- it hasn't been long enough plus black anodize turns purplish. Not that color.  I have some faded black anodizing and its just dark purple.  Dunno maybe he had it powder coated. Or just spray painted it. Yeah, its s shame. Expensive mirror, and you can't just buy another and install it on the other end due to mismatch color. A real shame.

All CRG mirrors should have a debossed logo on the back-side. I've never seen a knock-off in person, so I can't say whether knock-offs go as far as having this engraving as well.

Some flat black plastidip could take care of those mirrors for a bit and its on the cheap.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

• Premium Member
All CRG mirrors should have a debossed logo on the back-side. I've never seen a knock-off in person, so I can't say whether knock-offs go as far as having this engraving as well.
I just looked at mine and they do, but it might be hard to see if you are not looking  

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

If a second mirror were bought they both could be painted the same color but how good are you at prep/painting?

Beemer

So I'm back to looking at nakeds. I could go for an 09, but I'd be in almost the same boat, speed-junky wise as the Ninja. The 07 seems to still have the power to get me where (and when) I want to go, but I'd be able to enjoy it more. I've also looked at the SFV650. In fact, my buddy has one and it's been in my garage (condo, parking lot re-surface) for a couple weeks and I've taken it out on a few rides. It doesn't quite have the oomph I'm looking for, but IIRC from riding the 07, it does. Or maybe not, being spoiled on 1043cc. 
Most of my riding will be around town, 50mph or thereabouts, but the good roads are 40-50 miles away, so I will be using the freeway occasionally, typically running around 70-75mph to get there. I'll look around the general and tech forums to see what kind of info I can find on wind management, though I'd rather avoid having to buy a 'screen, and any vibration/numbness issues people have.
But anyway, I'm here and figured I'd introduce myself like a good community member.

Welcome @jeckler - you're gonna love this bike. 
Most notably the suspension is an issue for some of us - at 6'-2" 210 it dives quite a bit under hard braking for me, but @pattonme is a forum vendor who provides a range of solutions for this.

@2wheeldynoworks is another forum vendor for ECU flashes, in case you wanna save what little space there is under the tail.

A windscreen is absolutely necessary.

The torque and delivery are amazing, but since you've got your bike already, you probably know that  :)

Welcome again!

Archived