The MT-07 Forum

Any comparative feedback on these 3 bikes?

xorbe

This board, notice how italics plus dark gray makes quoted posts so much easier to read.

If you can wait I'd hold off on the ST3. Rumor is that Triumph is going to roll at an entirely new 800cc lineup for the ST3 late this year. When that happens expect prices of the 675 model to fall.
Yeah did notice, I'm not worried about the new model, which will probably grow heavier. The current model is already double overkill for my needs.  Time waits for no man.

Dropping a tooth in the front also brings back some of the hooligan attitude in 1st gear that the older models had.
I did catch that the older ST has a major difference, that 12% shorter 1st gear!! Why the heck did they change it ... did the bike really need to go 72 mph in 1st?  Maybe I should find an older model on CL ... I got to look up what else changed besides buglights.

That being said I sold my FZ-07 for a 2014 ST3R and I love it. The engine is super smooth and refined with punch everywhere. You can ride it like a 2 stroke, but still have legs at the top like a 4.
Thanks, that's insightful feedback!

Would be awesome if you could grab a test ride on each
Working on that next weekend. Not much else I can do for now.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
phicurious86
This board, notice how italics plus dark gray makes quoted posts so much easier to read. 

Dropping a tooth in the front also brings back some of the hooligan attitude in 1st gear that the older models had.
I did catch that the older ST has a major difference, that 12% shorter 1st gear!! Why the heck did they change it ... did the bike really need to go 72 mph in 1st?  Maybe I should find an older model on CL ... I got to look up what else changed besides buglights. 

From my understanding the change was largely due to convenience. The 2013+ ST3s basically have the 2012 daytona engine with different cam materials. The tall 1st gear is from the daytona gearing. I suspect Triumph also wanted to increase the market appeal for the ST3, as not every motorcyclist wants to be a hooligan. Well, at least they think they don't.

The other noticeable changes were to the exhaust, the injectors (newer ST3s get slightly better mileage), the tires, and the aesthetics.

... The other noticeable changes were to the exhaust, ...
Just looked at the previous model for 5 seconds, not for me.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Ha! Yeah, didn't care for that exhaust setup either.

IMHO... Drop the R3

Yeah, you're right.  After checking out YT videos, it runs out of steam at 80 mph in 4th gear, which didn't look too snappy to begin with.  That's not my idea of headroom at 75 mph.  Make it a (321cc * 1.5) = 482cc triple with 55 whp, and we'll talk.

So, has anyone gone with -1/+2 sprockets (F/R) on their FZ-07?  It has looong legs in 6th, so it can be geared for even more hooligan acceleration, yeah?

From my understanding the change was largely due to convenience. The 2013+ ST3s basically have the 2012 daytona engine with different cam materials. The tall 1st gear is from the daytona gearing. I suspect Triumph also wanted to increase the market appeal for the ST3, as not every motorcyclist wants to be a hooligan. Well, at least they think they don't.  
The other noticeable changes were to the exhaust, the injectors (newer ST3s get slightly better mileage), the tires, and the aesthetics.

Actually more to do with euro3/4 regulation, tall gearing makes it quieter at tested passing speeds etc. a lot of euro bikes suffered from this.

On the FZ, im not sure I would change the gearing if highways are considered.

Thanks for the comparo charts xorbe.
You haven't really said what you actually want in a bike but here goes my 2 cents worth.
On a straight simple basis the ST is far superior in ALMOST every way most motorcyclists want. It is better made from better materials. Better setup with better components. There is plenty of high quality aftermarket stuff for a variety of riding. It does however cost more, so that makes sense.
From a easy rideability point of view IF you fix the fuelling and the suspension ( still way cheaper than the ST), the fz/mt07 is ridiculously easy and fun to ride. It has a more upright riding position and for my money would make a better tourer. It does have a stupidly small petrol tank made up for partially by excellent fuel economy. It is only a better bike if you are prepared to make the effort to get it right. If you do it will reward you. There is some aftermarket stuff that makes it a bit more versatile.
I would like an R3, but I love small bikes and would like to strip it down and replace stuff to make it lighter and more fun. Don't think it is as good a bike as either of the other two.

I agree about the gearing on the FZ. If you look at the charts xorbe mashed, it's pretty obvious the MT/FZ07 would be better off with higher more relaxed gearing. Revving the 07 above about 9-9.5k rpm is pointless as it works best below that. I would like to gear mine UP but haven't found a way yet without going 520 chain.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I was considering a ST, I wanted the RX version. They are far superior in every way, the only way you could come close with the MT/ FZ would be upgraded suspension, head work, high comp pistons, hord power air box and a reflash, then you would be pretty much on par with a standard one. The only down sides to the ST is that they cost more money and cost more to maintain. The valve clearences need to be done every 12k as aposed to 24k on the FZ. When speaking with Triumph was told this was £480, then probably plus vat (tax).
What makes the FZ so fun is all that low down torque. When mine was on the dyno it was pulling 40lb/ft from 2.5k, a cbr600rr doesnt have 40lb/ft untill 10.5k. Its light an agile, great for cutting through traffic and you can not ride it without getting a serious smile. Its not the fastest, has a rubbis suspension but the reason the FZ gets such great reviews is the fun factor, a lot of people have said it puts the fun back in to riding.
Depends what you want the bike for and how many miles you are planning to do as what decision to make

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
The exhaust on the older one is why I had to sell mine. I developed tinnitus because of the exhaust note at 5800 - 6300 rpms, which just happens to be cruising speed in pretty much any gear. I wanted to put a low boy Arrow exhaust on it but the expense was too much ($1500 or so with a full exhaust + Power Commander). The bike just ripped though and I got a lot of compliments on it. IMAG0188_zpsboet2b79.jpg

I really like the base ST in white with the gold forks, like the above older model. Just sold my FZ6R, so now some garage space is freed up. Down to just the N250R for now. I've been told I can test ride Yamaha in Hayward, CA but I don't see any such info on their site.

I've had tinnitus since a young age, maybe my parents partied with loud music or something, I don't know. When I get sick though, the ringing doubles, it sucks. But my hearing is still superb. I have to sleep with a fan on low/medium. I use a voltage control to adjust the fan to an agreeable speed / particular hum and whir.

Tinnitus is one crappy burden to carry around. I don't have it but my best friend does nowdays. When we go fishing miles from anywhere and there is no noise it annoys him even more.
Re the fan. Have you tried notching the trailing edge or changing the shape of the outer tips. That can sometimes get rid of the transients that annoy you. You could try some self sticking foam and overlap past the training edge then cut a sawtooth pattern along the back (like lots of little triangles sticking backwards of the edge. Thin enough tape should help quieten it.

So I got seat time on the Street Triple. Loved the ride, torquey engine crazy light steering, but I'd have to try 20mm bar riser and 18mm drop in front and rear. The check engine light was angry, and they had to take the bike back to the service dept, lol. It pulls nicely from 35 in 6th, hot dog. The quoted otd price had $900 extra fees on msrp.

Well, now I'm on a mission to find an FZ-07 to test ride.

• Global Moderator

What state are you in?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I actually considerd the ST before I bought my FZ, but...
The problem I see with the ST is that it really fits the same niche that the FZ-07 does, and in a lot of ways the FZ-07 is actually better: Naked bike, fun ride, commuting, and hooliganism. If you want something for long distance and freeway miles, it's gonna suck. Maybe not as bad as the FZ-07, but for the money there are MUCH better touring bikes (FJ-09, Versys 1000LT, VStrom 650 or 1000...). The ST is a fantastic bike, don't get me wrong, and if cost is no object, then it is probably a better choice then the FZ-07, but mileage will be worse, maintenance will be more, finding parts will be harder, reliability will be... well, not sure on that one, but I've heard... I can see buying the ST if you just want a fun naked bike, but it is not a touring bike, and the FZ-07 is economical and FUN!

Why can't left turners see us?

You haven't really said what you actually want in a bike
Yeah, I think I need (need!) 2 bikes. A lightweight "low hp" toy around town / back road, that would almost certainly be a Yamaha R3, or just hang onto my decade old pre-gen N250R. And something bigger for the freeway, like a BMW F800GT, heh.

Basically, I have a blast around town and just outside of town on the back roads.  I think it's that low-weight low-power high-rev not-actually-going-that-fast combination that is fun.  Just pin the throttle no worries.  But then, sometimes I just want to hit the freeway for 45-90 minute trip, and I need real whp to deal with California drivers while going 70+ mph.  If I had an enjoyable freeway machine, I'd probably plot some 2 day weekend ride somewhere.

What state are you in?
California, profile updated, oops.

VStrom 650
If I get a bike like that, might as well start back over with the search!!!  That seat looks more comfy than Versys though.

• Global Moderator

Fjr 1300 for the ultimate in touring comfort

Fj09 if you want both in town/back road blasting along with the highway comfort

Fz07 is more for intown and back road blasting
R3 will give you the thrills of the 07 at lower speeds but higher rpm
Being a 300 its not meant by any means for highway speeds

Why does the windscreen + hand guards + partial fairings + 1.1 gal fuel weigh 51 pounds?  What else did they add?  Does that include the panniers?

• Global Moderator
Why does the windscreen + hand guards + partial fairings + 1.1 gal fuel weigh 51 pounds?  What else did they add?  Does that include the panniers?
Centerstand
and i believe the spec weight doss include panniers

Capitol Yamaha of Sacramento said they'd ring me as soon as a demo model popped up, that FZ-07 demo models come and go.

• Global Moderator
Capitol Yamaha of Sacramento said they'd ring me as soon as a demo model popped up, that FZ-07 demo models come and go.
not sure if you want to enroll in a track day
but the yamaha champ school will bring a fleet of bikes out to the track for a swipe of your license you can take one out for a lap of the track

https://ridelikeachampion.com/motorcycle-school/demo-program/

• Premium Member

Don't forget about a BMW s1000rr... This would be my next bike...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

BMW's I found are awesome to ride and a pain in the butt to own.

Why are dealers so reluctant to give OTD quotes. How do they expect people to choose what to buy without some prices on the table. I'm just gonna wind up watching CL for used bikes. Are cash (non-loan) buyers that rare, I find it hard to believe.

Archived