The MT-07 Forum

Any comparative feedback on these 3 bikes?

xorbe

Basically I bought a used FZ6R to replace a used pregen Ninja 250R, but never really warmed up to the FZ6R after a year, so I'm on the hunt again.  I ride around town, and sometimes down the freeway to see family.

Thinking to possibly move to the FZ-07 (lighter, torquey, but naked), the fly-weight R3, or the performant Street Triple.  I know that sounds like an odd group to cross-shop, but there's nothing in the middle of those three bikes.  I sat on the R3 and it feels awesome, but it doesn't have a lot of whp (but 10-11 more than the old Ninja, which is considerable).  The FZ-07 feels a lot like my FZ6R which of I am not a huge fan, but 70 lbs less + earlier torque would be an improvement for my casual riding.  Street Triple is way more performance than I want, but man it feels good sitting on that bike.  The FZ-07 / FZ6R peg placement drives me nuts a little.  R3 and ST feel like light weight toys.  For some reason, FZ6R and FZ-07 have a certain "heft" when tilting (on show room floor).

So I was curious if anyone has been on 2 or all 3 of these bikes (in-town and freeway), and what they thought.  Test rides are hard to come by.

If the torquey FZ-07 engine was in the Street Triple frame, this would be a done deal.  If the R3 had 10 more whp, that would be a done deal.

Will freeway wind be too brutal on the FZ-07 / ST?  Will the R3 definitely be a lot better than the old pregen on the freeway?  If I could have just one bike in my garage instead of two ...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO...
Drop the R3

Choice is between ST & 07
ST is a torquey 3pl and wicked top end and composed suspension out of the box.

07 is a fun bike with a great note out of that 270deg engine very good around town but doesn't have long legs of ST,
Suspension is very weak and needs modding if you demand more from it that it was designed for
But $$$,s will quickly fix it, and make it rewarding.

• Global Moderator

If you want a commuter get the 07, or the r3
st has a bit too much power for daily commute/street riding

If you want a truly sporty lightweight naked, get the st,
or the 07 and toss a bit of the money you save at the suspension

the fz is a bit top heavy, but once you're moving the bike is quite stable until around 85 then the wind really takes its toll

The st has a much higher top end and power band because its a triple and has gearing to match
For highway you'll be good and possibly in trouble with the law a bit

After riding all three, i still would choose the 07, but the st is a damned good bike
Id recommend lookjng for a Yamaha demo day at your local dealer, maybe see if someone is selling on CL/Moto trader that would be offering a test ride
all three are good bikes just gotta find out which
suits you and your riding style best

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I did'nt have the chance to ride the Triumph.  I owned a FZ6. demo ride a few time the FZ6R. The best would be the FZ6 with the 07 engine. Because i loved so much my previous 2003 SV650S. I would look closely to the new 2017 SV650. The clip-ons on the S were too low for me. I don't want a racer posture anymore. I'm geting too old.

But the besto for you is to ride the bikes. Standing still in the showroom isn't the best to obtain a good idea of the bike.

Good luck 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Guest 2wheeler
Standing still in the showroom isn't the best to obtain a good idea of the bike. 

A good buddy of mine just came bike from Bike Week in Daytona where he test rode a FZ-07. This guy is one of the better riders I know as he had a long history as a winning 250 Expert MX racer in the 70s and 80s, and still owns/rides several 2-stroke 500cc MX bikes. His current street bike is a Ducati 796 Hypermotard on which he redefines the word "holligan".  
My point here is that he had told me that he had previously sat on the FZ-07, and did not like the way it felt at all. That completely changed after his test ride. Matter of fact, he kept repeating about how the sitting position surprised him after he rode it. They let him take a long test ride with a serious curvy section, and my buddy said what all the magazines said, and that was what a fun bike the FZ-07 is. He was impressed with both how easy the bike wheelies, and well as how well it took the corners.

We live in different states, and due to the weather, he hasn't seen my FZ yet. I'm looking forward to riding with him as I'll get to ride his Hypermotard which I hear is a heck of fun bike in it's own right.

twowheeladdict
Standing still in the showroom isn't the best to obtain a good idea of the bike. 

A good buddy of mine just came bike from Bike Week in Daytona where he test rode a FZ-07. This guy is one of the better riders I know as he had a long history as a winning 250 Expert MX racer in the 70s and 80s, and still owns/rides several 2-stroke 500cc MX bikes. His current street bike is a Ducati 796 Hypermotard on which he redefines the word "holligan".  
My point here is that he had told me that he had previously sat on the FZ-07, and did not like the way it felt at all. That completely changed after his test ride. Matter of fact, he kept repeating about how the sitting position surprised him after he rode it. They let him take a long test ride with a serious curvy section, and my buddy said what all the magazines said, and that was what a fun bike the FZ-07 is. He was impressed with both how easy the bike wheelies, and well as how well it took the corners.

We live in different states, and due to the weather, he hasn't seen my FZ yet. I'm looking forward to riding with him as I'll get to ride his Hypermotard which I hear is a heck of fun bike in it's own right.

He would have to take a long test ride to find a serious curvy section in Daytona Beach.  The loop through Tomoka Forrest was it when I lived there back in the 80s.

2015 FZ-07

I think there are a couple thousand people here that would say an FZ-07 is a good commuter bike. Just look at my (avatar) girl sitting there with her blue tube top on, tight white jeans and her black pumps ready to please. You know you want her but you cant have her, she's mine. Get your own girl. ;)  Just get an FZ-07 and end your misery.

Beemer

Basically I bought a used FZ6R to replace a used pregen Ninja 250R, but never really warmed up to the FZ6R after a year, so I'm on the hunt again.  I ride around town, and sometimes down the freeway to see family. 
Thinking to possibly move to the FZ-07 (lighter, torquey, but naked), the fly-weight R3, or the performant Street Triple.  I know that sounds like an odd group to cross-shop, but there's nothing in the middle of those three bikes.  I sat on the R3 and it feels awesome, but it doesn't have a lot of whp (but 10-11 more than the old Ninja, which is considerable).  The FZ-07 feels a lot like my FZ6R which of I am not a huge fan, but 70 lbs less + earlier torque would be an improvement for my casual riding.  Street Triple is way more performance than I want, but man it feels good sitting on that bike.  The FZ-07 / FZ6R peg placement drives me nuts a little.  R3 and ST feel like light weight toys.  For some reason, FZ6R and FZ-07 have a certain "heft" when tilting (on show room floor).

So I was curious if anyone has been on 2 or all 3 of these bikes (in-town and freeway), and what they thought.  Test rides are hard to come by.

If the torquey FZ-07 engine was in the Street Triple frame, this would be a done deal.  If the R3 had 10 more whp, that would be a done deal.

Will freeway wind be too brutal on the FZ-07 / ST?  Will the R3 definitely be a lot better than the old pregen on the freeway?  If I could have just one bike in my garage instead of two ...

Really not trying to be a jerk but there are plenty of other sweet bikes to cross shop. Your list is quite interesting. An R3 or a Street Triple, really? Talk about a huge spread in both price and specs!! Also could you tell us what exactly you do not like about your FZ6R? It sounds like you hardly ever ride it. Are you somewhat scared of it? Do you find it too heavy? You mention "heft" in your post and there are tons of great lightweight bikes on the market right now. Sh*t man you mention that you're only occasionally going on the freeway. If that's the case seriously consider getting a supermoto! You could keep your old bike for touring and freeway stuff. Check out the KTM Duke 690 or the Husqvarna 701. Please tell us exactly what made those three bikes land on your list and the experts here at fz07.org will gladly pick out your next bike for you.

Really not trying to be a jerk but there are plenty of other sweet bikes to cross shop. Your list is quite interesting. An R3 or a Street Triple, really? Talk about a huge spread in both price and specs!! Also could you tell us what exactly you do not like about your FZ6R? It sounds like you hardly ever ride it. Are you somewhat scared of it? Do you find it too heavy? You mention "heft" in your post and there are tons of great lightweight bikes on the market right now. Sh*t man you mention that you're only occasionally going on the freeway. If that's the case seriously consider getting a supermoto! You could keep your old bike for touring and freeway stuff. Check out the KTM Duke 690 or the Husqvarna 701. Please tell us exactly what made those three bikes land on your list and the experts here at fz07.org will gladly pick out your next bike for you.
Yeah there are tons of bikes -- already attempted to cull the list. Price isn't the problem, it's finding the "smile bike".  My imagined ideal bike doesn't exist in the USA, something like a small faired R3/pre-gen, closer to 400 lbs or less, with fuel injection, 50 whp, 2/3/4-cyl (not thumper), and not SS posture.  Around town convenience and fun that will "adequately" manage the freeway.  I'm over 40, not out to break land speed records.  When I want to buzz around town, I eagerly hop on the pre-gen Ninja.  When I need to hit the freeway, I grimace as I have to use the FZ6R.  I just don't look forward to time spent on the FZ6R.  (Let's get this out of the way -- first world problems. FZ6R is a fine bike if that's all someone had to use. Money begets pickiness. =P)

> Please tell us exactly what made those three bikes land on your list

R3: I really do like my old cushy-seat somewhat-upright pre-gen Ninja 250, but it's carbureted and hardly enough power for CA freeway.  R3 would be a cost effective drop-in replacement with 10-11 more whp (37 vs 26-27 iirc).  Climbing on an R3 feels like climbing on a pre-gen.  Choosing the R3 would be, forget the FZ6R, start over from the pre-gen, and add fuel injection, and a bit more whp.  Probably still won't feel like enough power for the freeway, but it should be better, $4999 question is how much better, or will it still feel crazy under-powered at true 75 mph flowing with CA traffic.  If it had ABS, it would be a more palpable incremental upgrade, but alas ... not for USA.

ST / STR: it's 403 lbs and also feels good to sit on. It's super sport quality goods hidden in streetable packaging. It gets a lot of positive talk. At that price level, I wish it had selectable power modes and tc.  It's an overkill solution, but it ticks a lot of boxes.

> Please tell us exactly what made those three bikes land on your list
> Also could you tell us what exactly you do not like about your FZ6R?
> It sounds like you hardly ever ride it.

FZ-07: Except for fairings, FZ-07 seems an ideal match on paper, but just sitting there it felt an awful lot like the FZ6R.  My FZ6R, I just don't like the top heavy feeling, the seat that truly hurts after 45 minutes, and the pegs that interfere with getting feet on the ground (added lowering link + front forks drop 1.5"), so naturally I am somewhat wary to just switch from FZ6R to FZ-07 because the same basic DNA is there.  Yeah after I got the FZ6R, I just didn't ride as much.  Then I went back to the pre-gen, and realized that I need to try something other than the FZ6R probably.  If I ride the pre-gen and then the FZ6R, I'm like ... does the FZ6R really have to feel like this, there must be a lighter bike.  The FZ-07 strikes me as a lighter, naked FZ6R, torquey engine profile.  I'm not a serious twisty chaser, so the suspension is probably not of concern.

> Are you somewhat scared of it? [FZ6R]

Nah, that's not it. Unless we count scared of my butt hurting for another 24 hours after a 3 hour ride.  I already tried comfort seat and Corbin seat.  It seems to be a common affliction of the FZ6R.  It's straight up painful.  Never had that problem on the pre-gen.

> Check out the KTM Duke 690

I sat on the brand new refreshed 2016 Duke 690 yesterday, they had just rolled it out on the floor.  Man, that bike is tall, tippy toes.

> Husqvarna 701

Tall thumper.  I think you like SM style, hehheh!

lonerider said:
> look closely to the new 2017 SV650

Yeah, I need to find a Suzuki shop.

I don't know, maybe the solution is two bikes.  I wish I had just one bike, or more garage space.  Yeah there's the problem, I need a bigger house ... (rofl)

Can't comment on the Triumph but I own both the FZ07 and R3, and so do a few more people on here.

First the FZ07. Someone else mentioned on a different topic that the FZ07 feels top heavy. Now, when the bike is off and compared to the R3, yes, I suppose it does. When the bike is on and in motion, I do not feel that way. But I will concede the R3 leans far, far quicker than the FZ07 on curves. And although the R3 isn't aggressive, the seating posture and bike design makes you feel much more planted.

As far as the FZ6R goes, I've done research on it in the past. "Tame" or "easy" is a word thrown about a lot on that particular bike. I've never once seen any article or whatever use the term "tame" to describe the FZ07. My instinct tells me the only thing it shares with the FZ6R is how it feels center-of-gravity-wise sitting on it when the bike is off and still. I'm just going to guess the torque on the FZ07 will destroy any premature notion on comparing it to the FZ6R.

As far as the R3 goes. I find it much more fun than the FZ07. That's just me. Actually, that may be more than just me, the R3 boards I'm on have some R3 + FZ07 owners, and they would agree with me on that. But not sure how the R3 + FZ07 owners on these boards feel. I enjoy riding the R3 more than the FZ07. Its just a blast. The torque on the FZ07 is satisfying, but no way to describe it, the R3 is a more fun ride for me.

Commuting wise, if you were just street/city commuting, I'd go FZ07. Highway commuting, I'd prefer R3 (keep in mind I weigh 120 lbs). BUT, if you don't mind getting a BIG windscreen on the FZ07 (don't get the small decoration windscreens- they probably do nothing), then overall for commuting I would say get the FZ07 just because you do get more pull when you need it. One thing the FZ07 still lacks would be the chest rest that the R3 inherently has, but oh well.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

I would suggest trying to do some demo days rides. The nice thing is you already have a couple of bikes so you can take your time making the right decision. Triumph and Yamaha both have demo days events. As previously mentioned by Lonerider take a look at the new SV650 too. That could possibly be a great bike again. You're right, I do love me a supermoto especially that new Husqvarna !

I had a ST-R which was OK but a bit serious for urban work whereas the MT(FZ)07 is all smiles. I've also owned supermotos and the 07 has some of the riding position but adds the flexibility of the extra cyclinder :)

twowheeladdict

If money is no object and you can only have one bike, chose the Street triple R and be done with it. My triumph trophy triple is an amazing motorcycle with electronically adjustable suspension and superior handling. I have already knocked out a nice tour or central Canada on it.

I find the talk of weight to be interesting. I find the FZ-07 to be a featherweight. I load and unload it into my truck with one ramp and a step tool box. The only lighter bikes on my list that didn't work for me were the Duke 390, 690, Honda cb300f, and Ninja 300.

2015 FZ-07

I find the talk of weight to be interesting. I find the FZ-07 to be a featherweight. I load and unload it into my truck with one ramp and a step tool box. The only lighter bikes on my list that didn't work for me were the Duke 390, 690, Honda cb300f, and Ninja 300.
I've been mulling information overload from yesterday (while changing FZ6R oil).  After sitting on a few dozen bikes yesterday from Grom to Goldwing, I've realized that the FZ6R is actually a "light" bike even at 470 lbs.  I can only tell from sitting on the R3 vs FZ-07 that the weight is distributed differently.

Coming from pre-gen Ninja, I surprisingly did not like the Ninja 300.  It sits differently than 250R / R3.

As far as the FZ6R goes, I've done research on it in the past. "Tame" or "easy" is a word thrown about a lot on that particular bike. I've never once seen any article or whatever use the term "tame" to describe the FZ07. My instinct tells me the only thing it shares with the FZ6R is how it feels center-of-gravity-wise sitting on it when the bike is off and still. I'm just going to guess the torque on the FZ07 will destroy any premature notion on comparing it to the FZ6R.
Yeah, only in 1st gear I shift early before redline. It's an easy engine to get along with. It doesn't reach out and scare.

As far as the R3 goes. I find it much more fun than the FZ07. That's just me. Actually, that may be more than just me, the R3 boards I'm on have some R3 + FZ07 owners, and they would agree with me on that. But not sure how the R3 + FZ07 owners on these boards feel. I enjoy riding the R3 more than the FZ07. Its just a blast. The torque on the FZ07 is satisfying, but no way to describe it, the R3 is a more fun ride for me.
You know exactly what I'm worried about.  I'm going to have to scare up an R3 and FZ-07 locally, maybe someone on CL will let me swap beer money for short test ride or something.  You actually give me some hope that the little R3 may fit the bill.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Can't comment on the Triumph but I own both the FZ07 and R3, and so do a few more people on here. 
First the FZ07. Someone else mentioned on a different topic that the FZ07 feels top heavy. Now, when the bike is off and compared to the R3, yes, I suppose it does. When the bike is on and in motion, I do not feel that way. But I will concede the R3 leans far, far quicker than the FZ07 on curves. And although the R3 isn't aggressive, the seating posture and bike design makes you feel much more planted.

Commuting wise, if you were just street/city commuting, I'd go FZ07. Highway commuting, I'd prefer R3 (keep in mind I weigh 120 lbs). BUT, if you don't mind getting a BIG windscreen on the FZ07 (don't get the small decoration windscreens- they probably do nothing), then overall for commuting I would say get the FZ07 just because you do get more pull when you need it. One thing the FZ07 still lacks would be the chest rest that the R3 inherently has, but oh well.
Dang you're light. I hover around 195-200 @ 5'6". I bet the R3 would still be fun though.

SigSide.jpg

I bought an R3 right before the FZ-07 and loved it. Bike has more than enough power for the freeway. Handles great and just a great bike in general. I thought coming off an R1 might be a problem, but the newer smaller CC bikes are so much fun. I actually bought 2 smaller CC bikes right after (ninja300 and R3). Not trying to make the decision harder for you though, but I'm having just as much fun on the FZ-07 as well. Light bike with a good amount of power. The choices we have in life aren't always easy. Lol.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I've owned both the FZ-07 and a Street Triple, and I can tell you for certain, I regretted selling my Street Triple. If not for the overloud exhaust and my sensitive ears, it was a perfect bike. Lots of snort all throughout the tach, and plenty of top end, though not as obnoxious as a supersport (yes, I realize I am now riding a supersport). Great feedback in the suspension too.
The FZ-07 is a great commuter; very flickable and plenty of bottom end. But it never really made me feel like I was riding a demon, which is what I like. While I enjoyed it, I always felt like something was missing. It's not aggressive enough for my tastes. The Street Triple was a great balance between the power of a supersport and the comfort of a naked. Plus, they look cool as hell (well, I like the round headlight models more than the current style). If I had to do it over again, I would've found a way to mount a lo-boy exhaust on my STriple instead of selling it.
In short, my vote goes to the Street Triple. There's a reason they're commonly rated so highly among nakeds.
Also, have you looked into the Kawasaki Z800?

I've owned both the FZ-07 and a Street Triple, and I can tell you for certain, I regretted selling my Street Triple (...) Also, have you looked into the Kawasaki Z800?
The Z800 is 509 pounds!  Okay, I plan to take the dealer up on his Striple test ride offer.

GO RAMPAGE, BUY THEM ALL!!!
I may very well acquire both Striple and R3 ... blush.png only room for 2 so it would be the baby + the monster.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

If you watched the review, they explain that although it weighs 509lbs, at no time does it feel like it does. I haven't ridden one, but I would if I had the chance.

I overlaid some dyno charts and looked up gearing. The FZ6R is actually geared 9% lower than FZ-07 in 1st, but the FZ-07 weights 11% less (incl rider) with 25% more power from from 3K-9K.

ST and FZ-07 are nearly a dead heat up to 7.5K, but the FZ-07 is geared about 15% shorter, but the ST goes for another 5K. The FZ-07 must be pretty spicy through 40 MPH / 8K in 1st gear! Kinda a 7-to-9 machine, once going. But the ST is unfortunately speeding at the top of 1st gear already.

R3 has more power than pre-gen Ninja, BUT they gave the R3 longer legs in all gears plus all-up 7% heavier, so ... approx 25% more punch off the line, but probably similar when cruising the freeway, unless downshifting.  I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

zCxwS5h.png

This is a chart that I cobbled together, that you don't normally see.  It's MPH on the x-axis (scaled for gearing), and relative whp on the y-axis (scaled for all-up weight).  This shows that FZ-07 is the king to 45 mph.  Curious how close the FZ6R and ST are up to 40 mph.  Presenting the data this way sort of obscures the detail that the FZ6R is winding out to 10K to keep up with the ST at 7K (and R3 is wound out to 13K, that's its fun-factor quantified).  Curiously, the older ST has 12% shorter 1st gear than today's model.

nNIMTFH.png

• Premium Member

To me the fz-07 is like the JGR fire breathing 450f they use for outdoor motocross...but a street legal version of one..

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I whipped up a second chart 2 posts up that some of you might like. No review ever shows 1st gear dyno data that way, comparatively.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

I've owned both the FZ-07 and a Street Triple, and I can tell you for certain, I regretted selling my Street Triple (...) Also, have you looked into the Kawasaki Z800?
The Z800 is 509 pounds!  Okay, I plan to take the dealer up on his Striple test ride offer. 

GO RAMPAGE, BUY THEM ALL!!!
I may very well acquire both Striple and R3 ... blush.png only room for 2 so it would be the baby + the monster.
If you can wait I'd hold off on the ST3. Rumor is that Triumph is going to roll at an entirely new 800cc lineup for the ST3 late this year. When that happens expect prices of the 675 model to fall.

That being said I sold my FZ-07 for a 2014 ST3R and I love it. The engine is super smooth and refined with punch everywhere. You can ride it like a 2 stroke, but still have legs at the top like a 4. Dropping a tooth in the front also brings back some of the hooligan attitude in 1st gear that the older models had.

I owned an FZ6R for a bit last year, and just picked up an FZ-07 about a month ago. Here is the advice I can give.

The FZ-07 is going to be your best bang for the buck. It has fun torque, power to pass at 70 without shifting (which makes it great for highway riding/commuting), and you can get a touring windscreen to help with the wind. I actually didn't mind my FZ6R, but I felt exactly what everyone else feels. It's just tame. I miss the fairings for longer trips, but like I said, a touring windscreen fixes that on the 07. You really can't beat the mpg either for how much torque you're getting!

Now if you have the money and want the power, the Street Triple will not let you down. From my experience it is a faster and higher budget FZ-07. The ST has better suspension, a more powerful engine, comes with ABS, and has that sexy triple sound. The FZ still has great power/torque, but the suspension is pretty basic and there is no option for ABS. For the price though? I'd say it still comes out ahead (unless you really want ABS).

Would be awesome if you could grab a test ride on each, I know after riding both and crunching some numbers. The clear winner for me was the FZ and I haven't looked back. Well, okay. I might reeeaaalllyyyy want some type of adventure bike to compliment my FZ. But that's a discussion for another day.

Archived