The MT-07 Forum

Newer style Cyclops LED question??

go4geoff

the bulb that @slow06er purchased is not the same bulb that everyone else has purchased. confirmed with Derryl that an order number and an email to ask for it are all that's needed to get the shroud upgrade for the older generations. and that they would fit just fine.

slow, you may want to use the spacer just in case. i believe it is still the same bulb, just a different style cap, and obviously it comes with that glass tube.

Oh so if you can order the shroud upgrade then that means I should be able to remove the shroud on mine to see if it'll work properly with the supplied 1/8th spacer. Unless someone finds a way to make it work with the shrouds on?

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

fooschnickens
the bulb that @slow06er purchased is not the same bulb that everyone else has purchased. confirmed with Derryl that an order number and an email to ask for it are all that's needed to get the shroud upgrade for the older generations. and that they would fit just fine.

slow, you may want to use the spacer just in case. i believe it is still the same bulb, just a different style cap, and obviously it comes with that glass tube.

Oh so if you can order the shroud upgrade then that means I should be able to remove the shroud on mine to see if it'll work properly with the supplied 1/8th spacer. Unless someone finds a way to make it work with the shrouds on?

That would be my guess. Only way to know for sure is to ask Cyclops or get adventurous! 
At this point I'm not sure the shroud would be an "upgrade" in the grand scheme of things, though the tube might be nice for those wanting a cooler color temperature. Going by the pictures that you posted it seems that the shrouds add more scatter to the beam pattern with or without the use of spacers. The pictures that someone else posted are much more indicative of how the beam pattern should appear when used with the spacers.

That would be my guess. Only way to know for sure is to ask Cyclops or get adventurous! 
At this point I'm not sure the shroud would be an "upgrade" in the grand scheme of things, though the tube might be nice for those wanting a cooler color temperature. Going by the pictures that you posted it seems that the shrouds add more scatter to the beam pattern with or without the use of spacers. The pictures that someone else posted are much more indicative of how the beam pattern should appear when used with the spacers.

Another beautiful day in LA here! And a day off! I'm gonna attempt to remove the shroud and use only the 1/8th spacer like most other members. Let's see if it'll produce the beam the way it should be without fuss!

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

Have you got both spacers in. If so remove the non1/8" one.
The light beam pattern in the photos with the centre dip is very similar to the pattern I got with the the original 3600lumen leds. I found that I had to stick the bulb FURTHUR IN not space it out. That one came with a screw on mount/seat and I shortened it at the bottom. Interestingly the set screw had a slot not a hole and I shortened it to the spot where the screw would fit at the base shortened to that length. It was pretty much a good sharp focus at that point.

DSCN1130.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Always a fiasco playing with the headlight haha. I removed the 1/16th spacef so only the 1/8th is in now. I took off the shrouds as well (had to buy a T7 torx bit to remove it). The gorgeous sun has to go down hours later before I can see how the light pattern fills out now. But in daylight it seems more even, and that blank top notch area looks apparent now too like other people's issue.

• Global Moderator
Have you got both spacers in. If so remove the non1/8" one. The light beam pattern in the photos with the centre dip is very similar to the pattern I got with the the original 3600lumen leds. I found that I had to stick the bulb FURTHUR IN not space it out. That one came with a screw on mount/seat and I shortened it at the bottom. Interestingly the set screw had a slot not a hole and I shortened it to the spot where the screw would fit at the base shortened to that length. It was pretty much a good sharp focus at that point.

DSCN1130.jpg

thats on your original one though correct greg?
Not the 3800?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Sadly with the shrouds removed and 1/8th spacer in I'm getting a lot of wispy light all over. The spread is now way wider but still very unfocused. Ughhh

bmwpowere36m3

That's the problem with HID or LED conversions... the headlight/reflector wasn't designed for them. That said, I would worry a little less about the "wispy" light and go riding. See how it actually perform on the road and not a stationary wall.

"thats on your original one though correct greg?
Not the 3800?"
Yeah I was just illustrating that I had to move that one forward. That was the first 3600L one.

"That's the problem with HID or LED conversions... the headlight/reflector wasn't designed for them."
No reflector on a motorvehicle as far as I know is designed for a specific bulb except some BMW's with HID's ( there may be some of the big Honda supertourers also). Incandscent bulbs are pretty much stabilized. I remember when there was huge amounts of misinformation going about QI's when they first came out with the same "reflectors and lenses" not made for them. The problem then and now was the size and positioning of the filament/emitters. That is pretty much disappearing as the LED manufacturers make emitters in the same size and position as the filaments. Actually that is how I figured the above LED needed to go forward. I compared the QI and LED emitter position.
BUT LEDS are such a superior light source , especially for projected light, that you have to ask why aftermarket manufacturers aren't redesigning reflectors and lenses for LEDS. QI's are going. They WILL be gone soon. If I had money to invest I would be making led reflector/lens headlights as an aftermarket replacement . They can be smaller, lighter, more efficient and cost less to repair if made as a common part like round headlights used to be.
On a side note motorcycles could actually go to a lower voltage for everything with smaller lighter battery especially with automatic decompression starting or use a supercapacitor for starting..

• Premium Member

I'm having some problems putting the retainer pin on the back side of the LED light, has anyone seen this problem with installing the light, any tricks to make it works? 9a926c11635419abefd25d46bc3f8b0b.jpgdcdd74959e48fe4614aa8815ca13c0ab.jpg4d6d34e8de4abca7e97452946f29217e.jpg129551f6c4c8aea0a1ad70f40a5c07d4.jpg

booboobusfz07

Take the bulb off the mounting bracket then secure the mounting bracket\\ring and twist the bulb back in. There should be a set of instructions included with your bulb

• Premium Member

Take the bulb off the mounting bracket then secure the mounting bracket\\ring and twist the bulb back in. There should be a set of instructions included with your bulb

@booboobusfz07 - The only instructions that I got with the package was the one I posted earlier on this post, that instructions was for removing the cover glass, no instructions for installing the LED light.
Anyway, I was able to bend and stretch the retainer pin, and the light is installed now, but not as good as I wanted to be.

• Global Moderator

Slip the retention bar over the narrow portion of the bulb, just under the heatsink, while youre inserting the bulb into the housing

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

So during the week I may have time to fiddle with the led bulb and see how much it will be able to focus. I'm gonna try to just insert the bulb further in and out of the housing with it on and see if it'll focus more. I'm still not sure how it's supposed to look when proper, but I'm gonna try my best. Hopefully it's something as easy as just a bigger or smaller spacer I can get from home depot.

fooschnickens
I'm having some problems putting the retainer pin on the back side of the LED light, has anyone seen this problem with installing the light, any tricks to make it works? 
Grip the heat sink portion and the baseplate portion separately and twist. Be careful because the baseplate is kinda sharp. Check my thread over in the lighting section for a play-by-play of the installation: http://fz07.org/thread/2701/fz-cyclops-led-bulb-replacement 

• Premium Member

I'm having some problems putting the retainer pin on the back side of the LED light, has anyone seen this problem with installing the light, any tricks to make it works? 
Grip the heat sink portion and the baseplate portion separately and twist. Be careful because the baseplate is kinda sharp. Check my thread over in the lighting section for a play-by-play of the installation: http://fz07.org/thread/2701/fz-cyclops-led-bulb-replacement

Thank you @fooschnickens - I will follow your advice when setting up the light, I have to wait until the night to check the alignment of my light, here is a few pictures of the color of the light in the daytime .
I don't know if I like the combination of the yellow head light & the blue (RDL), I also ordered the cool white (DRL) in case I don't like the blue.
I could also change the color of the head light from I think the yellow to the clear white, I think by replacing and removing the glass cover tube.

2acf25ae89f74887a1f602a69c9b06b5.jpg663e1b8b210fd008da0edd966ba076c3.jpg780d38e5c231cee5b40e2d82c963a80e.jpg2cbac5169c12fb6f658342b8b6d2cd48.jpgfd8412b02fcc470874522dadd00b3d7a.jpghttps://vimeo.com/159723901

• 9 months later...

I'm on the brink of the LED install after combing through several threads here. It looked like the consensus was that the cyclops fan-cooled model was the way to go -- though I was very interested in the Phillips Lumiled as well, but just not enough info available to convince me.

Photos of the earlier models looked great with a nice clean cutoff, but the only posts with the newer, shrouded Gen 5 models seem to have been a step backward as far as the FZ-07 reflectors are concerned (see OP photos).

Now they are on to Cyclops Gen 6. Can't give any details since the Cyclops product photo has never been updated (still shows no shrouds/glass tube), but can anyone provide an update on how satisfied they are with the shrouded Gen 5 or 6 models and the focus/cutoff?

Interestingly, they now offer a 7000 lumen, 50W, H4 model as well. The stock bulb is 12V, 60W/55W per the owners manual. Assuming the exterior dimensions still work out, was anyone crazy enough to try this yet?

I'll probably take a gamble on the 3800 Lumen Cyclops and replace the auxiliary bulb as well with something whiter. Thinking I'll remove the optional glass tube as that color appeared a little too yellow for my liking. Hope the 1/8" spacer is included these days!

dentalprodigy
I'm on the brink of the LED install after combing through several threads here. It looked like the consensus was that the cyclops fan-cooled model was the way to go -- though I was very interested in the Phillips Lumiled as well, but just not enough info available to convince me.  
Photos of the earlier models looked great with a nice clean cutoff, but the only posts with the newer, shrouded Gen 5 models seem to have been a step backward as far as the FZ-07 reflectors are concerned (see OP photos).

Now they are on to Cyclops Gen 6. Can't give any details since the Cyclops product photo has never been updated (still shows no shrouds/glass tube), but can anyone provide an update on how satisfied they are with the shrouded Gen 5 or 6 models and the focus/cutoff?

Interestingly, they now offer a 7000 lumen, 50W, H4 model as well. The stock bulb is 12V, 60W/55W per the owners manual. Assuming the exterior dimensions still work out, was anyone crazy enough to try this yet?

I'll probably take a gamble on the 3800 Lumen Cyclops and replace the auxiliary bulb as well with something whiter. Thinking I'll remove the optional glass tube as that color appeared a little too yellow for my liking. Hope the 1/8" spacer is included these days!

I have the gen 6 model. Not super happy because after a 2 months, my high beam stopped working. So now only the low beam works. Not a huge deal because even the low beam is extremely bright but i loose the ability to warn/signal/flash car drivers at night.

Speaking of which I have to mail it back to them(1 year warranty)... Thanks for the reminder haha

As this thread has been reopened, I might share a discovery that I made with the new phillips small emmiter leds. It probably relates to other leds as well.
I put some led high beams in my Subaru and the light was WORSE than the original fairy candles. Brighter but awefull scatter. Some research showed that the ROTATION was off , not the axial focus point.
The bulbs had a small screw locating the rotation of the bulb so I experimented with positions rotating the bulb along it's long axis ( ie rotating around a line through the tip of the bulb to the centre of the fan.
Well what do you know, at one point the focus snapped into a beautiful even spread of light. I then tried it with a LED H4 I bought for my project Suzuki gs500f. Same thing. Originally scattered now clean sharp low beam cutoff. It the older smooth constant curve reflectors the leds would work fine but the new segmented focusing reflectors cause the scatter when not orientated properly.

Archived