The MT-07 Forum

Newer style Cyclops LED question??

go4geoff

@cyclops

So hopefully Cyclops or someone can help me with this issue. I recently received my cyclops LED bulb and it has reflective shades over the first two LEDs. I wanted to know if the shades are to point up to reflect the light, or pointed downwards? It seems that when it's pointed down it throws weird wispy patterns of light. But when it's pointed up it's a lot more focused but still a bit trailing and wispy in the light concentration. I also used the bigger spacer that came with the light bulb as that was recommended by forum posts by other members. My light does not look like the ones I've seen in pictures from other members who have had it installed in the past. I want to know if this is the new light style it's supposed to look like this, or if it is a defective bulb? Appreciate the help guys/gals!

2hwo4xy.jpg

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

Looks like it isn't focussed properly. Do you have the spacer in? I had to experiment with mine and made a number of spacers then when I got the correct thickness made a aluminium one to transfer heat better. It ended up 3mm not 1/8" ( not quite the same) which is the supplied thikness of the thicker one.
But I found the light assembly has pretty slack tolerences so you may have to play a bit. Also it is easy to clip the bulb in no quite right. You may want to check it is seated properly

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Looks like it isn't focussed properly. Do you have the spacer in? I had to experiment with mine and made a number of spacers then when I got the correct thickness made a aluminium one to transfer heat better. It ended up 3mm not 1/8" ( not quite the same) which is the supplied thikness of the thicker one. But I found the light assembly has pretty slack tolerences so you may have to play a bit. Also it is easy to clip the bulb in no quite right. You may want to check it is seated properly

I have the 1/8th spacer installed and everything seems to be seated properly with the bulb in place snug and proper. I'm still curious about these little lamp shades that are over the first two LEDs. I haven't seen anyone on the forums with this style yet and don't know if that's playing a role in how the light pattern is dispersed.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

Got a picture?
Shades usually make the pattern more focused

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Doesn't look like its focused properly, i have the bigger spacer installed on mine and have a pretty clean cut-off line. Have a look at mine below.

2pzcq5e.jpg

Low Beam :

28rgpqa.jpg

High beam :

11gr4i8.jpg

Video aswell if it helps :

Got a picture? Shades usually make the pattern more focused

I'll snap a photo and post it to this thread when I get back home from riding heh. But yea you'll see how the shade covers look on the LED diodes. I still don't know if they're supposed to be pointed up or downwards. Appreciate the replies so far either way, thanks!

fooschnickens

I guess this is one of the new "Gen 5" units that are on their site. I'd be keen to see how it's constructed since the product photos on their site still show the same version that I got over a year ago.

This bike is wayyy too much fun to romp around town haha. Haven't been home yet. But I called Cyclops and talked with Bobby, who told me the reflector shades are to be pointed up. They're slightly angled back to reflect light more into the housing rather than omnidirectional. In regards to the wispy light patterns, he said I'll have to try the smaller spacer or none at all to see how the light pattern differs. Hopefully one or the either will give me that solid block of light I'm lookin for. Bobby said he hasn't heard from anyone with an FZ07 about the new bulb style and spacer fitments. So I guess I'll be one of the first to have to experiment and get it right for all of us. Ughh, means I gotta rip apart my headlight housing again and deal with that mess lol.

So I brought the bike home earlier today and fiddled with the spacers and still not fixed. It is better than it was before, but it still retains that weird dark notch on top and wispy light pattern. I didnt take a picture of the smaller 1/16th spacer as it looked almost exactly like using no spacer at all. I did manage to snap a few pics of the new "Gen5" bulb too while I was scratching my head with this. I'm wondering if it could be a defective bulb perhaps?? I've been going nuts over something I never would be able to fix type of story lol. Or maybe someone has a better spacer size that works properly? Maybe @cyclops can chime in to what he thinks it could be. Thanks all!

No Spacer - Low Beam Light Pattern:

15d3shy.jpg

Using Both Spacers - Low Beam Light Pattern:

w7onwh.jpg

Using Both Spacers - High Beam Light Pattern:

11jw4yc.jpg

"Gen 5" Bulb shots:

11iz3w0.jpg

2zi5uuo.jpg

14iiq36.jpg

• Premium Member

@go4geoff bear in mind that this is a generic H4 replacement bulb, neither designed nor specifically tuned to work perfectly with the FZ-07 housing and reflector, so it will likely never be "perfect"

@go4geoff bear in mind that this is a generic H4 replacement bulb, neither designed nor specifically tuned to work perfectly with the FZ-07 housing and reflector, so it will likely never be "perfect"

Those are very wise words sir! I live in Los Angeles so the city and streets are usually very well lit by night. The bulb does quite well with illuminating and getting attention of cars. I just wish it had that stock light pattern look, but that's a risk you get when playing with aftermarket parts lol. I hope the few other people that are getting their cyclops lights in this week will be able to troubleshoot this issue with me, or now we will know that's how the new bulbs will look regardless.

• Global Moderator

Wonder if the shroud is something that those of us with the older bulbs can order.... i still havent gotten my spacers either

sending an email here shortly, I'll let you guys know the response
:)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

fooschnickens

Interesting, I wonder if it is the shrouds that are throwing things off. The emitters look to be the same as the older models unless they aren't using the XML2s any more so it would seem that the shrouds or possibly the emitter placement on the board are the only things to change.

Interesting, I wonder if it is the shrouds that are throwing things off. The emitters look to be the same as the older models unless they aren't using the XML2s any more so it would seem that the shrouds or possibly the emitter placement on the board are the only things to change.

That's the last thing I been wondering myself. I'm thinking perhaps the shrouds are reflecting the light in a diff pattern than the older models. Hence why I won't be able to focus into a solid beam. Wonder if I can remove the shroud cover or just use a pair or shears to cut them off lol.

fooschnickens
That's the last thing I been wondering myself. I'm thinking perhaps the shrouds are reflecting the light in a diff pattern than the older models. Hence why I won't be able to focus into a solid beam. Wonder if I can remove the shroud cover or just use a pair or shears to cut them off lol.
Well it looks like there are a couple of small hex screws that hold the metal shroud plate to the board, you could try loosening those screws and see if they let you lift them off. 

• Premium Member

I got what it called the new generation H4 LED from Cyclops, I haven't installed it yet, perhaps sometime this weekend, but it did come with a glass cover to adjust from 4000 to 6000 luminous ( I believe that is what the instructions has said). Is yours the same model as mine?
c89e82b0fe4e7d3f3606f34705049d91.jpg524361a4f7eb88f374e835bcdf92dd5a.jpgf78ef8d4f78dd07896c5ccdba26c29ee.jpga2c66af7f5098c068e72a839c4ac6ddf.jpg

Removing the glass tubing will alter the colour (kelvin)of the bulb not the lumens, with the glass it will be whitish colour 4000k and without it will be a blue/whitish colour 6000k.

• Premium Member

Removing the glass tubing will alter the colour (kelvin)of the bulb not the lumens, with the glass it will be whitish colour 4000k and without it will be a blue/whitish colour 6000k.

Oh crap.., I did not read the instructions that well.
I don't recall seeing any spacer in the box , do I still need to use one of these spacer for my install ?

Hmm it seems we all are getting diff bulbs! My bulb looks like yours with the shrouds over the first two LEDs but my packaging looks different and it didn't come with the glass tube that fits over it. I did get the two spacers to install though.

• Global Moderator

the bulb that @slow06er purchased is not the same bulb that everyone else has purchased.
confirmed with Derryl that an order number and an email to ask for it are all that's needed to get the shroud upgrade for the older generations. and that they would fit just fine.

slow, you may want to use the spacer just in case. i believe it is still the same bulb, just a different style cap, and obviously it comes with that glass tube.

• Premium Member

the bulb that @slow06er purchased is not the same bulb that everyone else has purchased. confirmed with Derryl that an order number and an email to ask for it are all that's needed to get the shroud upgrade for the older generations. and that they would fit just fine.

slow, you may want to use the spacer just in case. i believe it is still the same bulb, just a different style cap, and obviously it comes with that glass tube.

@sorkyah - do you know if the spacer is sold on the cyclops web cite, or people are getting it from the hardware store?

• Global Moderator

the bulb that @slow06er purchased is not the same bulb that everyone else has purchased. confirmed with Derryl that an order number and an email to ask for it are all that's needed to get the shroud upgrade for the older generations. and that they would fit just fine.

@sorkyah - do you know if the spacer is sold on the cyclops web cite, or people are getting it from the hardware store?
Spacer ahould have come with your bulb
there are two in the box

Archived