The MT-07 Forum

Registration mistake

jchin3081

I just got my sticker, registration and plates in the mail from the CA DMV and noticed a mistake. Looks like one of the digits on the Vin number regarding our production year (if you purchased it this year) can either be 1986 or 2016.

I already called DMV and the dealer and am in the process of getting everything straight. Looks to be a small mistake, but thought it was interesting. Other FZ owners may want to check theirs incase. Wouldn't want anyone to have problems later down the road because they weren't aware.

5e4da066fa10d96264728f831a0bf82d.jpg

bmwpowere36m3

^ Taxes I assume… those would have already been paid at the dealer if they did the reg/tax. Property tax, CA have those? I would correct it, regardless as it might causes you issues in the future.

I had a bike that was registered somehow as being 8 cc instead of 850 cc...and since here annual registration fees are capacity based it was a super cheap to renew each year :)

bmwpowere36m3

Probably depends on state, in CT it's a flat-rate for registration every two years (could be a scooter or a liter bike).

Same issue with mine in GA, been to busy to get it fixed however it's the dot/dmv issue not the dealers the dealer on mine had the right date the dmv/dot whichever you want to call it has not updated their system in response to recycled vins by yamaha. Atleast that's how it was explained to me.

It did cross my mind about not correcting and to hopefully get a lower annual renewal registration fee every year, lol... But then I thought what would happen if I get pulled over by Police or get in an accident. I think so many problems can occur because of the incorrect year and just cause a lot of headaches in the long run.

Update: After talking to the DMV on the phone about the mistake, they said I had two choices. Bring the bike into the DMV so they do a VIN verification to the tags on the bike or see if the dealer I purchased the bike from had a Vin verifier. Knowing that I didn't want to go to the DMV because it would waste a good amount of my day, I was happy to find out that the dealer did have a VIN verifier that they used.

Also, once the VIN is verified (because I'm Financing), the Lien Holder also needs to be contacted with updated information so they can fix any problems on their side regarding title.

It did cross my mind about not correcting and to hopefully get a lower annual renewal registration fee every year, lol... But then I thought what would happen if I get pulled over by Police or get in an accident. I think so many problems can occur because of the incorrect year and just cause a lot of headaches in the long run.

Didn't think about the accident part as insurance wouldn't be fair in that scenario . But if your pulled over just say the vin is right there with the build date if don't take my word for it . Also on insurance if you wrote 2016 in the documents/online they can't say it's because the vin was registered wrong. The vehicle was wrote as a 2016 and was only ever a model starting 2015/2014 as the stupid release the year before thing. So your premium shouldn't change.

• Global Moderator

When I got mine in 2014 the insurance company could not put the VIN in the computer as they had not updated it to accept 2015 model year yet. They has to manually override it to get me covered. I should check my 1987 model year car insurance card. Maybe it is newer now :)

When I got mine in 2014 the insurance company could not put the VIN in the computer as they had not updated it to accept 2015 model year yet. They has to manually override it to get me covered. I should check my 1987 model year car insurance card. Maybe it is newer now :)

Lol. Yeah, same thing happened when I had my R3. Due to it being a new model at the time, the insurance company had to input the bike manually too. I believe when I purchased it brand new, it was just released in the states a few weeks back. The problems we go through for trying to be one of the first. Lol.

Archived