markstertt

K Tech suspension upgrades?

jmacas87

anyone else running k techs? starting to research my options.

twotone

It's a bit of a gamble, KTEK is good stuff, being race oriented it may lean on the stiff side.

jkraft
It's a bit of a gamble, KTEK is good stuff, being race oriented it may lean on the stiff side.
Being adjustable I don't think that's a problem. I just revalved a customers SV Andreani cartridges as they were a little too plush.
Fit and finish on the K-Tech is higher as reflected in their price.

pattonme

The Andreani was too plush? That's gotta be a first.

• Like 1

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

twotone

Perhaps it had the right air gap

jkraft
Well I've done two of their SV kits and a Ducati scrambler and all needed to be a quarter to a half a turn out on both compression and rebound to get them firm.  Adding one more shim to each stack made a significant difference and a little more room for adjustability. While i was in there i machined the sealhead to accept a four pin cartridge tool to make future changes easier.

• Like 1

twotone

Do you mean a quarter to half turn IN? (Clockwise)
To get them firm. So adding shims stopped them from blowing through the stroke?
On the single function forks a little can make big difference.

jkraft
Do you mean a quarter to half turn IN? (Clockwise) To get them firm. So adding shims stopped them from blowing through the stroke?
On the single function forks a little can make big difference.
Very little damping until I closed the adjusters (clockwise to a stop) and then opened them a quarter to a half a turn (ccw) 

pdt155

So is the standard KTech Razor R shock the same one that AP Moto Arts sells with their linkage?

mossrider
So is the standard KTech Razor R shock the same one that AP Moto Arts sells with their linkage?
Yes.

pattonme

The K-tech shock comes in "street" and "race" with different spring ranges and valving. Be sure to specify which you want. Check the Shock options page for forum vendors who might be able to give you a price break.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

pdt155

Yeah that's what I was getting at, if it is the same shock, I'd much rather support a forum vendor. I'll check out the shocks page.

pdt155

Whoops, forgot to say "Thank you everyone"!

phm14

I have the K Tech Razor Light, with Race Tech emulators in the forks, on my '21. The shock has good feel. For me, at 205 lbs no gear, I'm at 5 clicks out, of 35 clicks total. Race Techs recommendations were very close. When I added 5cc per leg, I lost travel, and took it back out, I did not need springs, and so far, the only deviation from their setup is that I have replaced 15cc of the 15w oil, with 30w, just to added a bit more damping. Will do more testing over 3 days riding the Three Sisters here in Texas for a few days. The bike felt ~90% there last ride, and I'm confident the set up will yield good results, especially for the ~$750 usd I have invested. Feels like a different bike. My only concern was the smaller shock piston, from a durability & heat standpoint, but time will tell on that. Anyone had any failures with their K Tech shock?

Edited by phm14