The MT-07 Forum

Kawasaki Z800

jake

• Premium Member

EDIT

Ok I found this below got some bad Hp numbers a second ago. it has 111 hp and 83 ft lbs So if you were in the market for a little more power this one would be on the short list for me.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_z800_2014.php

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2016-kawasaki-z800-review?link=z800-home-ct-test

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/kawasaki/2014-kawasaki-z800-ar162716.html

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

There's a thread called "What is your Holy Grail motorcycle?" and my choice was the z800. I think they're beautiful.
The only two issues though are
1. It's available everywhere besides California (my home state)
2. It's 500+ pounds. Even though it is heavy, I saw a video of a group of guys testing out bikes and they said that they hardly noticed the weight and that came out as their second choice in the group as a fun bike right after the street triple.

• Premium Member

that 100 extra pounds is on paper, its only issue. But from the sound of it its set up right I mean 500 lbs for me is not a big deal I've been on bikes well over 800 so once you get moving its not an issue.

Cool bike and for the price you could get the FZ-09 but you have to spend over another grand on the FZ to get the suspension to that level.

• Premium Member

yep. It's also the only bike that looks better than the FZ-07 to me.

Here's a video of the Z800, Street triple, Brutale and MT-09.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

If that bike had come out here before the FZ-07, we would not be having this conversation.

FAT. That is about the only words I have for this thing. 500lbs... one of the main reasons I got the FZ was the sub 400lb weight.

• Premium Member
FAT. That is about the only words I have for this thing. 500lbs... one of the main reasons I got the FZ was the sub 400lb weight.

It's not about the weight. It's about how she carries herself. ;)
Haha

twowheeladdict

too heavy, and a 4 banger. double negatives for me. I was cruising along in 6th gear at 55 on the FZ-07 behind a truck in a 65 mph zone. I didn't even downshift. Just blipped the throttle and shot by him doing 80. Don't need more than that.

I have loaded and unloaded the FZ-07 in the back of my Frontier several times now. One ramp and a step stool. There is no way I would do that with the wide and heavy Z800.

If Kawasaki had brought the Z300 to the states I might have bought it over the FZ-07 if it is 50 lbs lighter, but I don't recall if it is.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member

I tell you that If/when I get another bike I'm going to do some test rides thats for sure. I picked up the FZ as my first bike no test ride just based on all the reviews lol. 7 grand not even knowing if I was going to like it, man did I luck out. I think over all the FZ price wise is hard to beat.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I switch between the fz07 and a 08 Z1000. The 1000 is about the same weight at the z800 I think but really once it's moving I don't notice it. I will say it's a lot easier to lean the z1000 in spirited riding. It almost falls into a lean where i have to push the fz. Fz07 is easier to get around tight obstacles.

I'll say the suspension, brakes, and engine fueling are far superior on the Z1000. I have a set of Matris cartridges and a 2wdw flash to get the fz up to the same level. I'd say get both bikes haha. That attitude is why I have 8 vehicles in my 2 person household.

• Premium Member

I think it's really nice bike, but to be honest, I would rather have my FZ (today). It's got the power, weight, torque, and customizabilty that fits my needs pretty well. It's great for commuting, and if I wanted another bike it would probably be a better long distance machine (FJ-09, Versys 1000LT, BMW F800R...). But so far, I'm having too much fun on the FZ to worry about it (had a great ride today, ask me tomorrow and my response might change). :)

Why can't left turners see us?

I was looking at a Z800 when I bought the MT. The thing that swang it to the MT was the weight of the Z800. I use my bike for commuting and where I ride the traffic is usually solid at times with just enough room to ride down between the cars, the MT is so light and agiles it makes easy work of this.

that 100 extra pounds is on paper, its only issue. But from the sound of it its set up right I mean 500 lbs for me is not a big deal I've been on bikes well over 800 so once you get moving its not an issue.  
Cool bike and for the price you could get the FZ-09 but you have to spend over another grand on the FZ to get the suspension to that level.

My old 550 Vision had a huge 5 gal. tank and it looked like it would be cumbersome/slow to maneuver but it didn't affect it because most of the bike's weight was kept low, it was actually very flickable. I'm sure Kawasaki knows to keep the weight low on a bike as well as Yamaha does and even though it's a four it's a very likable four.  With h.p. and torque like that on that style of bike I would have one. Nice choice!

Beemer

• Premium Member

My old 550 Vision had a huge 5 gal. tank and it looked like it would be cumbersome/slow to maneuver but it didn't affect it because most of the bike's weight was kept low, it was actually very flickable. I'm sure Kawasaki knows to keep the weight low on a bike as well as Yamaha does and even though it's a four it's a very likable four.  With h.p. and torque like that on that style of bike I would have one. Nice choice!
So many bikes I want to try out and I'm not at the point where I even know what I want lol... Dirt bike, Touring, cruiser I want them all. I've said this before I love the Buell but my go too is the FZ and I'm at the age where I know that I have a good thing and can be happy with it.  

twowheeladdict
So many bikes I want to try out and I'm not at the point where I even know what I want lol... Dirt bike, Touring, cruiser I want them all. I've said this before I love the Buell but my go too is the FZ and I'm at the age where I know that I have a good thing and can be happy with it.
In my garage currently, I have a 1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials bike, 2010 Moto Guzzi Café Classic, 2012 Kawasaki KLX250S dual sport, 2014 Triumph Trophy SE sport tourer, 2015 Yamaha FZ-07, and a 2016 HD Road Glide Ultra.
I love all bikes and pick bikes to meet certain riding needs. The only bike in my stable that I have "just because" is the Moto Guzzi.
Try as many as you can.  I have owned and or ridden over 60 different bikes. They all bring something different to the table and they are all fun!

2015 FZ-07

Archived