The MT-07 Forum

Failing In My Quest To Slow Down

ornery

I simply have to slow down on this bike.  I'm going to end up with a damn ticket, and that's all I need to see my friggin' insurance premium go up even more.  Only have a five mile commute to and from work, which is 90% of my riding, yet I manage to surpass the speed limit regularly.  Today was no exception:

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Ju8JJi8gY&feature=youtu.be]

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
twowheeladdict

A ticket is the least of your worries. Most wrecks, even if the car was found at fault involve a bike that was travelling too fast for conditions.

2015 FZ-07

AlbatrossCafe

You could just run from the police. On my old 2005 CBR 600, I ran successfully probably 20+ times. No tickets for me! (:))

Until the one time I got caught, had to go to jail for a week & had my license suspended for a year. Was it worth it? Maybe. If you say I got out of 20 tickets @$130 each, then that cost adds up to about what I had to pay for a lawyer + fines. So it all cancels out in the end, right? lol (rofl)

My advice - maybe it is because you hardly ride it that you always want to open it up. Maybe take it out on the weekends more and you will get the "speed" itch out of your system? And if you have a hard time laying low on the FZ-07, don't even think about changing up to an inline-4 or something like the FZ09! I sold my CBR and got this bike so I could control myself more, and so far it seems to be working (minus an illegal lane-splitting ticket)... 8D

• Premium Member

2 things keep it under 10 over and you might not get pulled over, 2nd keep it under 20 over and you wont go to jail at least here in MI.
That is crappy advice but its how I roll any thing after that you might as well go as fast as you can and try not to die.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I was doing good till this guy took off! And, I do agree, most accidents seem to be from riders going too fast. Hell, if I got in an accident, on top of speeding... gawd, that's all I need!

If I swapped this out for a cruiser, I know I'd slow down, but I also know I wouldn't be as maneuverable, and probably not as alert.

I'm just going to redouble my efforts to slow down, but what would you do in the situation I was in today? How many could just hold back? That would take some serious willpower!

— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member

A bit off topic but, so trippy to see a rider without a helmet...

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

It's funny that you say that.  I find it quite the opposite here in Florida, especially right now during bike week.  So many people riding around without helmets.

If you're going to be an outlaw you either have to 1. be ok with the consequences, 2. know how not to get caught or 3. just start being the angel all mother's tell everyone their kids are. There is one more option but it's butt ugly ... trade in for a big, fat, heavy, H.D. with two valves per cylinder, air cooled, humongous ape bars and leg spreaders to help with air drag and you'll be less able to go fast. I mean actual fast, not perceived fast.

Beemer

It's funny that you say that.  I find it quite the opposite here in Florida, especially right now during bike week.  So many people riding around without helmets.
I'll attest to that. It also gets so damn hot & humid here you'll shrivel up and die even in the best vented riding jacket on the market which is why so many people don't wear a lot of protective gear around here. The gear will give you heat stroke and kill you all by itself or at least feel like it's going to. God knows I've bought the gear and tried my best to keep it on but you can't enjoy riding when you're profusely sweating, suffocating for air and praying for a freak blizzard. (Lord, please forgive me for not riding with a jacket and boots that don't have extra protection at the ankles.) There, that should take care of that. Now I don't have to worry about anyone putting labels on me for not gearing up 1000%. Not that anyone here did, we're all cool.  ;)  

Beemer

I was doing good till this guy took off! And, I do agree, most accidents seem to be from riders going too fast. Hell, if I got in an accident, on top of speeding... gawd, that's all I need! 
If I swapped this out for a cruiser, I know I'd slow down, but I also know I wouldn't be as maneuverable, and probably not as alert.

I'm just going to redouble my efforts to slow down, but what would you do in the situation I was in today? How many could just hold back? That would take some serious willpower!
OK, since you put it that way, on a serious note this is what I've had to teach myself to do because I feel I'm a little like you "in situations like that." First of all any time I feel compelled to race another biker I've never met in my life (especially one on an old tech H.D.) I ask myself these questions to fight the urge to TWIST THROTTLE HARD! P-)  First of all I ask myself if I have something to prove to anyone any time I go for a ride and the answer is no. I ask myself if there's any monies coming my way if I win a race. Answer is hell no, not one frickin' penny and do I get the girl if I win? Brah, ha, ha! I don't even get last Augusts Play Boy magazine so why be hard on my baby for nothing? Even if you did impress someone that watched you race and get a ticket they aren't going to be so impressed that they pay for it so to hell with impressing that way, try this way. When I ride I know I'm impressing with the sound and looks of my bike, it shows in people's eyes when they look at my bike and that's enough for me. I'm already confident with what my bike can do and don't have to prove it to anyone. If someone revs their bike and takes off fast just laugh at them and enjoy their feeble attempt to impress. Try some eye checks at stop lights and let that be enough to satisfy. 

Beemer

OK, since I'm so new, I'm going to take that advice to heart. But, this is what was going through my mind when he took off:
         [video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsoAdh5P5g]
From now on, I'm going to stay cool.  Way too much to lose, for no good reason, as you've so eloquently stated!

• Premium Member

..and less eloquent... you could also have a nice jail cell, court room or a lovely hospital bed with a spiffy new possibly life destroying crippling injury / amputation followed by a nice huge bill you may never pay off in your lifetime when you're done!....and a damaged or totaled bike; maybe even a toe tag. And for what, to race some retarded squid? It aint worth it my friend. I spent some time looking up MC accident scenes. This is the stuff I concern myself with before tempting fate or not. Not to say I dont love opening it up occasionally, but when I do its on clear open back roads, no fuzz, no morons. Just me and my pals.

Pardon my motherly rant.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

potatochips
My advice - maybe it is because you hardly ride it that you always want to open it up. Maybe take it out on the weekends more and you will get the "speed" itch out of your system? And if you have a hard time laying low on the FZ-07, don't even think about changing up to an inline-4 or something like the FZ09! I sold my CBR and got this bike so I could control myself more, and so far it seems to be working (minus an illegal lane-splitting ticket)... 8D
I'm with albatross, you need to scratch the itch.  For me, it has been track days, but if you don't want to do all that, find an interstate highway at least.

• Premium Member
I'll attest to that. It also gets so damn hot & humid here you'll shrivel up and die even in the best vented riding jacket on the market which is why so many people don't wear a lot of protective gear around here. The gear will give you heat stroke and kill you all by itself or at least feel like it's going to. God knows I've bought the gear and tried my best to keep it on but you can't enjoy riding when you're profusely sweating, suffocating for air and praying for a freak blizzard. (Lord, please forgive me for not riding with a jacket and boots that don't have extra protection at the ankles.) There, that should take care of that. Now I don't have to worry about anyone putting labels on me for not gearing up 1000%. Not that anyone here did, we're all cool.  ;)  
In CA, you don't have a choice, so seeing someone without a helmet is just not the norm for me. I know where you're coming from... just reminds me of the saying "Rather sweat than bleed"... but if sweating so much that it could lead you to bleed (cus it makes it so unbearable that you can't ride with all your attention), then you know - I get it. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I will just say there is not way I could have resisted there.... only because a good rider will get the FZ off the line just as fast as anyone so its fun to say my little 700 smokes your 1200 or what ever. Shoot 0-60 I was faster than my dad on his 1800 Gold wing haha. Its all relative I don't care what is faster anymore what is more fun is what matters IMO

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

throttle limit screw. restricter plates on the intake. custom ECU map to limit RPM to 5000 in first 3 gears.

Do a 'Flanders' and whip yourself for having impure thoughts every time you put your jacket on.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I've promised myself before, and keep coming up short, but I swear from now on, I'm taking it easy. I did that on my commute home in my car today (it was raining all day). Proud of myself for staying the course. Next time I ride will be the same. I've pushed my luck already, so I better cool it while I'm ahead. If I fail, I'm selling the bike and quit riding altogether, rather than buying a cruiser.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

You boys and your testosterone................ O_o

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
Is that what their issue is? I must be tapped out then...thankfully.  ;) 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

pineappleunderthesea
I've promised myself before, and keep coming up short, but I swear from now on, I'm taking it easy. I did that on my commute home in my car today (it was raining all day). Proud of myself for staying the course. Next time I ride will be the same. I've pushed my luck already, so I better cool it while I'm ahead. If I fail, I'm selling the bike and quit riding altogether, rather than buying a cruiser.
Cruiser, eh? Victory Octane

• Premium Member

It's mostly ego and maybe a scoche of testosterone. The two can play synergistically.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Psst .... no cruiser needed.
FJ-09. Just don't put it A mode.

Potatochip has a good point. Go racing. You can go as fast as you can manage in excellent conditions. BUT the thing that will change you is getting back on the road after. All of a sudden it is SCAREY. You now realize that going fast requires fast conditions and people riding/driving around you to know what they are doing and concentrate on it. And the realization comes that they DON'T! Ask most racers ( in my case EXracer) and most will say the same. Track makes you a better rider, but screws up you enjoyment of road riding a bit.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Well, it was 53° here in Northern Ohio, sunshine and just gorgeous. Took my wife and Murphy, our Springer, out for a picnic & hike. The bike is sitting under a cover untouched, and I have no regrets. Not much into pleasure riding, let alone going out of my way to race on a track. I can no more afford to lay it down on a race track than on the street.

No, my problem is rush hour commuting. Whether in my car or on the bike, it's just an adrenaline rush scurrying to or from work ASAP. Even on my electric bike, wide open throttle from portal to portal. Why? Don't know. My guess is because everybody else is doing the same thing. Rushing to make the lights, squeezing through on yellow and even red. Hustling past old ladies and dawdlers to make that happen. Again, I guess it's just because of the "pack frenzy".

But, I am capable of slowing down AND staying out of other people's way. Doing that, I try not to dwell on being stuck at a light I could have made if I'd just been going a few MPH faster, or passed the pokey truck in front of me. It's a whole different mindset, but I can do it. The FZ07 makes it a little more difficult, but I'll keep the consequences of an accident or ticket rolling through my thoughts to keep those urges at bay.

Archived