The MT-07 Forum

4000 service

Simbadc650

Taking my young darling in for 4000 today, while there is a break in the weather here in northern Cali. Had her since July, clearly she is amazing. Happy 4000 Scully!!!be6ecf07b7998541c24bc43967d1c06b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
AlbatrossCafe

My 4000 miles "service" included me lubing the chain, giving a quick 6-minute look for cracks in hoses or frayed brake/throttle lines, and making sure my lights worked. I don't think I would ever take it in at 4000 miles. According to the manual the only big thing @4000 to me was to "check spark plugs" but they are so hard to get to that I figured I would just wait till 8k and replace them all at once.

Do your radiator side covers say "FZ-07" on them? I have those but with the MT logo. They were pain to fit with a radiator guard, but they look way better than that stock "carbon-fiber look" stuff for sure!

My 4000 miles "service" included me lubing the chain, giving a quick 6-minute look for cracks in hoses or frayed brake/throttle lines, and making sure my lights worked. I don't think I would ever take it in at 4000 miles. According to the manual the only big thing @4000 to me was to "check spark plugs" but they are so hard to get to that I figured I would just wait till 8k and replace them all at once. 
Do your radiator side covers say "FZ-07" on them? I have those but with the MT logo. They were pain to fit with a radiator guard, but they look way better than that stock "carbon-fiber look" stuff for sure!

I had to drill holes in mine to fit with my radiator guard

Guest ChicagoAJ
What is there to do at 4K? I'm not even doing oil changes until 5k.
Basically just visual inspections of all the hoses. I'm sure they'll check chain tension, but I would suggest doing oil changes at least every 3k miles and lubing your chain between every 400-600 miles.  
I always bring my new bikes to the dealer for the first service, I know it's not necessary but it's what I've always done. Then when I pay for the service I pick up oil/crush washers for the next couple oil changes. Then I'll bring it back around 8k for the spark plugs and do the same thing, buy enough oil/washers for the next couple oil changes and then have them go over everything around 16k miles. Lube everything, fluid swaps, etc. That's usually enough to get me free winter storage each year so I don't mind paying for those services. 

UK bike don't have a 4000 service they are every 6000. plugs are not replaced till 12000. 

I noticed that, US intervals have always been way too short. The dealer tried to tell me my car needed an oil change every 3k miles lol!

10k oil change for the car and 5k oil change for the bike are good enough for me, mainly because it's easy to keep track with those numbers.

Guest Ralph

They know people in the US just love pouring fresh oil into engines so why not make a buck out of them,
in the UK vehicles with short service intervals are hard to sell, so they extend them same engine same
oil just marketing.

Archived