The MT-07 Forum

Questions about replacing exhaust while in break-in period.

JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yoshimura-r77-works-race-exhaust-system-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016

The above link goes to the exhaust system I am seriously considering purchasing within a few weeks. In case you don't click the link, it is the Yoshimura R77 Works Race Exhaust System. Below I'll try to organize some questions I have about replacing my factory FZ-07 exhaust. Note that I'm not racing around competing with people, so I won't really notice a slight performance decrease. The main thing is I want to change the sound and appearance of the exhaust without damaging the bike or killing performance.

[ol type=decimal][*]Most importantly, will replacing the exhaust so early in the bikes life in any way damage the engine or life expectancy? The bike is not even to its first oil change yet.
[*]Will the bike need some kind of ECU reprogramming with a full exhaust system replacement? I have no idea how to do this, and I'd rather save the money if I can.
[*]Once I have the exhaust, assuming I get it, will taking out the sound baffle affect performance? I have not yet decided if I want to keep the sound baffle in or take it out of the Yoshimura system.
[/ol]

2015 Red FZ-07
Yoshimura Works R77 Carbon Fiber Full Exhaust
Puig Dark Smoke Touring Windshield

• Premium Member

1. No. I gave Yoshimura my bike to make the exhaust with only the mileage I made from the dealership to home (30 miles).
2. Not needed, especially if performance isn't your priority. I run without it.
3. No. Ride it in or out. It's a matter of preference. I had the baffle in the first 10K, then took it out and loved the sound better without.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

AlbatrossCafe

Motomeek hit the nail on the head. To elaborate a bit:

[ol type=decimal][*]No. Some people even pick up their bike from the dealer with the exhaust installed at 0 miles.
[*]The ECU programming is usually done by a professional tuner who has the software to reprogram it. This bike has a smaller engine and most of the bigger exhaust manufacturers (e.g. Yoshimura) have designed their exhaust to work fine with the stock ECU tuning. For someone who is new-ish to riding you probably wouldn't even notice a difference anyway.
[*]According to the the place where I got my ECU reprogrammed (2wheeldynoworks) taking the baffle out will MAYBE cause you to lose 1-2hp at the most. However, you will still most likely be better off than where you were with the stock exhaust. Again, these 1-3HP changes are pretty much unnoticeable unless you are racing, so you will be fine (if you can handle the baffle-out noise volume) :)
[/ol]

1. I installed my Yoshi myself at 200 miles.
2. I had my ECU reflashed for the Yoshi at 1500 miles.
3. Nels at 2wheeldynoworks told me I can ride baffle in or out with the Yoshi, my choice. I've done both ways, I now prefer baffle out.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

JuggernautOfWar

Thanks for the awesome responses so far guys, I really appreciate it! I do have one more question though, if you wouldn't mind.

If I install the Yoshimura exhaust will it mess up my possibilities of passing Orange County, CA emissions tests? I'm thinking about moving to southern Orange County for work in about a year or two, and it would suck to be forced to reinstall the factory nasty exhaust.

2015 Red FZ-07

According to CA DMV website, motorcycles are exempt from smog requirements/testing. It wouldn't surprise me if that day comes sometime in the future, however. I have never had to smog any of my motorcycles in CA.

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/smog-check.php

BTW, I put the same Yoshi exhaust on my FZ07 within the first 500 miles. I ran it without any problems except my butt dyno picked up a drop in torque and there was also lots of exhaust popping on decel. I installed a Power Commander V and that made for a great improvement.

JuggernautOfWar
Wow you Cali guys have to get emissions for your bikes too? That sucks.
I did some research on my own and apparently CA does not have emissions requirements for motorcycles, yay! I know motorcycles sometimes have an added fee for buying in CA (for example Harley-Davidson) due to emissions, so I was under the impression they tested bikes in CA. 
Well gentlemen, it looks like as soon as my tax returns get here I'll have myself a Yoshimura Works exhaust! Is it a pain in the ass to install? I'm assuming you just have to unbolt the old exhaust and bolt in the new one.

Edit: Ninja'd by evfz

2015 Red FZ-07

Wow you Cali guys have to get emissions for your bikes too? That sucks.
  Well gentlemen, it looks like as soon as my tax returns get here I'll have myself a Yoshimura Works exhaust! Is it a pain in the ass to install? I'm assuming you just have to unbolt the old exhaust and bolt in the new one.

You completely remove the old exhaust (header all the way back to the "muffler"). That sucker weighs a ton!  As I recall the toughest part of the install is the mount near the right side footpeg...very tight area to get access to for installing the bolt and nut. Overall, not very complicated if you have basic shade tree mechanical skills.

On a difficulty scale of 1 to 5 I would rate it at a 2, a 3 at most if you run into any trouble. If you can read instructions and turn a wrench the right way you'll be grinning big when you hear your new pipe for the first time. 

Beemer

The hardest part of installing a yoshimura exhaust for me was inserting the round rubber grommet on the mounting bracket. I'm not kidding. Don't ever want to do that again.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

I installed my Yoshi myself as well, I think the hardest part for me was the exhaust gaskets. I had a hard time keeping them on while trying to put everything back.
I also installed mine when I had 50 miles on the bike.
I have not had the ECU flashed yet and have 1300 miles now with no problems. :D
I like mine with the baffle in, I have never rode bike without it and totally happy with the sound.
The one problem you will have until you flash is the backfire when you decelerate but it doesn't happen often.

Archived