The MT-07 Forum

My hands hurt after riding. What's the proper grip position

dentalprodigy

dentalprodigy

Hi everyone,
So far I've ridden 3 times for a total of ~200 miles. After my last ride of only 55 miles, my right hand has become really tender. It hurts when I flex my thumb inward. It's a deep muscle aching pain. Flexing the thumb triggers it but every day it is getting better. I did some googling and it seems to be the Abductor pollicis brevis. I feel I'm not gripping the bars properly. For the first ride, my left hand's finger tips (in particular the middle finger) hurt alot. It was as if it was numb and something on the inside of my left glove was hitting it. After my last ride, my right hand seems to be the issue. See attached pic of particular muscle on inside of hand. For context, my gloves are Rev'it Summit H20 gloves.

Again, what's the proper, ergonomic hand grip position when riding?

I can attach clips of my last ride which shows how I grip the bars if that would help.

Thanking in advance.

imgur.com/8eLrIb4

There is no "proper" grip when riding a bike. Its the same as a bicycle, but we all react differently on long rides.
For some people its a hand pain, for some other its a wrist pain.
In your case, you should invest in a cruise control, that will help your hand.

Bikes have a habit of vibrating. All of them do it. This will have a tendency to make your fingers and toes go numb. High freq vibrations and whatnot.

I am assuming you are fairly new to riding. If so, like any new skill set there will be a learning curve as well as a muscle development curve that you will have to go through until you build the strength to deal with the new activity.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Are you putting a lot of weight on your hands? Grip the tank with your knees and let your core muscles hold you up. Your arms should be relaxed and not supporting much weight. And no death grip on the bars!

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

Don't grip so hard like your hanging on for life...loosen up...I happen to use my legs to grip the bike...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

+1 on the death grip or that your hand just needs to "work out" a bit more to get use to it. To be honest, you shouldn't really need to grip the tank with your legs either. That's how relaxed and loose you should be on the bike.

How are you holding the throttle? Are you using the "OK" method (Just using the forefinger and thumb), the fore/middle/thumb, or all?

I have heard of many other stories of why certain people have hand/wrist/arm/shoulder problems riding... so if none of the above that's been mentioned isn't still doing the trick, it could be an entirely different issue medically.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I try to stay as loose as possible, let my fingers dangle instead of gripping hard all around.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

dentalprodigy
Are you putting a lot of weight on your hands? Grip the tank with your knees and let your core muscles hold you up. Your arms should be relaxed and not supporting much weight. And no death grip on the bars!
- I think I am.  My arms are right arm is stiff and I am tightly gripping the throttle because I want to be precise in my throttle and not accidently give it too much.   

"How are you holding the throttle? Are you using the "OK" method (Just using the forefinger and thumb), the fore/middle/thumb, or all?" @ Motomeek

- I think I'm using "all" or the whole hand.  I'll try loosening my grip in my next ride.  

I appreciate the tips everyone.  

You're using muscles in a way that you're not used to. Your hand is partially open but gripping and twisting on something that is semi hard and vibrating. Then there's the reaching out to grab levers and squeezing them in while trying to maintain a grip with the other fingers while doing that so it's a real workout for someone not used to it. It' looks simple but it's a little complex for the muscles. You said it's getting better so you're probably getting used to it. You can try loosening your grip some but the numbness is a part of biking.

Beemer

I'm a relatively new rider, and I also noticed my hands and forearm shaking/being sore after a ride. I realized that it was because I was gripping the bars way too much (going 70+ in freeway w/o windshield, feeling like I'm gonna fall off). Now, I keep telling myself to grip the tank with my knees more and let loose of the bars, while maintaining good throttle control. I'm hoping in time this will become a second nature.

• Premium Member
Get some grip puppies. They helped me with my carpal tunnel and riding.
Relaxed grip, changing the fingers doing the gripping from all fingers to 2 or 3, and yes, grip puppies.  They are a cheap solution that actually works for me.

Why can't left turners see us?

One trick I used to learn to relax my grip was to "anchor" my pinky and ring finger on the bar end, and I used my thumb, index, and middle finger to actuate the throttle. That stability was enough to assure myself I wouldn't slam on the throttle unexpectedly, since my hand was anchored on a non-moving surface. That allowed me to focus on relaxing my grip while learning how to balance the throttle.

If I ever notice any fatigue in my right hand I rotate through different finger grips, and if I'm just coasting I pretty much cup the throttle and let my palm pressure modulate it.

The death grip goes away with time and increased confidence.  The quicker you increase confidence the sooner your grip will relax.

I just recently bought a cramp buster and that may help you for when you're cruising. I'm going to do a review of it later today.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Hey anyone else have some experience with these? I been wanting something like this same as I have on my bicycle but haven't been able to find a size big enough. Do they fit well on the FZ-07? Do you like them? Best place to order them? 
Thanks!!!

dentalprodigy
I just recently bought a cramp buster and that may help you for when you're cruising. I'm going to do a review of it later today.
ill look forward to it!

twowheeladdict

I would never recommend a cramp buster to an inexperienced rider. They can be dangerous.

To the OP: pick up a copy of "total control" by Lee Parks. Great information.

You should wear quality gloves which help grip the bars without your muscles grabbing the bars. You legs and core should be supporting you. Your arms and hands relaxed. The back of your hand should be in line with your forearm. Your thumbs should only be beeping horn, cancelling turn signals, etc.

2015 FZ-07

I would never recommend a cramp buster to an inexperienced rider. They can be dangerous.

You should wear quality gloves which help grip the bars without your muscles grabbing the bars. You legs and core should be supporting you. Your arms and hands relaxed. The back of your hand should be in line with your forearm. Your thumbs should only be beeping horn, cancelling turn signals, etc.
You didn't read my review ... did you. I don't exactly recommend them and they can be dangerous to an experienced rider as well. Is there a full moon tonight, everyone's a bit edgy.

Beemer

twowheeladdict

You didn't read my review ... did you. I don't exactly recommend them and they can be dangerous to an experienced rider as well. Is there a full moon tonight, everyone's a bit edgy.
Was your review in this thread?  I just commented to the post I quoted.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member
Hey anyone else have some experience with these? I been wanting something like this same as I have on my bicycle but haven't been able to find a size big enough. Do they fit well on the FZ-07? Do you like them? Best place to order them? 
Thanks!!!

I ordered mine from amazon.  They fit, but may stretch to a hair longer than the grip.  I pushed them on as far as they would go, and that was fine for a while but eventually trimmed them a little (easy to do).  Don't even try to install them unless they have soaked in hot soapy water, then they will only be moderately difficult to install (twist and push, twist and push). :) 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

im a new rider as well, but not to sound like a whiny person i also have this hand pain. Ive noticed that i can not ride with the hand placed fully on the grips, both sides. Otherwise my wrists hurt really bad. As a result i place my hand around half the outer grips and the bar ends as well. I feel as i need wider handle bar at times even though this sounds ridiculous!! In the 4 month period or so that ive had the fz i have logged almost 5k miles even though i dont grip the handle hard at all and dont rest hardly any weight i managed to get 2 blisters where my palm has the most pressure on the grip. I dont know if this has to do with gloves type as well, but ill see how i do with the new a-star sp1 i just got.

Would it make a difference if I said that my review was meant to be an extension of my post, that my post wasn't finished? Maybe my fault, I take for granted everyone will follow and get what I'm saying. I'll try to be more clear so everyone will understand me but it ain't easy.

Beemer

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I understand you @beemer .  ::)

Illegitimi non carborundum

I understand you @beemer .  ::)
You're awesome because at times I feel like the most misunderstood person I've ever known and nothing sucks more than being misunderstood and having to explain what you meant.

Beemer

Archived