The MT-07 Forum

Fuel Gauge Question

x3rolink

Hey guys, I have a question about the fuel gauge. I've read somewhere in this forum that the fuel gauge is not 100% accurate (3/6 bars does not equate to half a tank left, etc) and about a guy who filled up on when the meter showed 1/6 bar, but had almost 1.5 gallons left in the tank... Would there be an indicator of sorts that will show if you have only 0.2 gallons or something? Like, the last bar is blinking or something?

I haven't personally gotten into that point yet, but wouldn't want to test it out just to find myself stranded yet again (old bike had no fuel gauge)

• Premium Member

The last bar will start blinking when your on reserve... I go no further than 25 miles on the blinking gas bar... You can always carry a lil water bottle of gas and ride it till it's empty under your normal riding habits...do it 3-4 times and get an avg miles per fill up

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Fell free to ride it on one bar, just keep an eye on it, it will take time to get used to how long that last bar will last, once it does start blinking, the odometer will show miles traveled on what the system calls reserve. I think if you fuel soon as the first bar comes on you will maybe only say 2.5 .

I know we would all like a more precise fuel meter. I am going to give the Yamaha engineers a little credit and work with it. But it is disconcerting to head out for a ride and suddenly lose two bars. Based on my experience, once the last bar starts blinking, you have about 0.4 to half a gallon to go.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I've also noticed that how many bars the gauge shows is related to the lean angle of my bike when I turn the key, which starts the fuel pump. If it's perfectly upright I get one reading and if it's still on the stand I can get another.

Also check out this thread.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest Ralph

Last year I was out with slower bikes so this is riding between 40/60 mph and out in the country.
6   blocks to 5 70 miles =70 miles
5                 4 30 miles =100 miles
4                 3 30 miles =130 miles
3                 2 30 miles =160 miles
2                 1 24 miles =184 miles
1        to flash 29 miles =213 miles
flash to empty 55 miles =268 miles
it started cutting under acceleration for a few miles before it stopped
and I got 13.44 ltr in to fill the tank,
that's the best it's ever done and no I am not going to try to better it
but it shows what the bike can do if your short of fuel.

bmwpowere36m3

It's accurate enough... ever ridden a bike with NO fuel gauge? Basically ride till it starts to cut out, switch over to reserve and look for a gas station.

I ride till the 1 block is flashing (reserve) and the odometer switches to f_trip (mileage since hitting reserve). Then look for gas, but if I know I'm riding somewhere more remote I fill up sooner and more often. I also keep track of mileage since filling up, as good as the gauge.

It's accurate enough... ever ridden a bike with NO fuel gauge? Basically ride till it starts to cut out, switch over to reserve and look for a gas station.
Kids these days have no clue haha!

Life is good on 2 wheels!

To me it seams like the first half is 1/2tank, the second half is 1/4tank, and the blinking reserve is the other 1/4 tank. It's definitely not a linear gauge. My old bike did not have a fuel gauge and I relied on the trip Millage to know when to fill up so any gauge is better than no gauge.

Hey guys, I have a question about the fuel gauge. I've read somewhere in this forum that the fuel gauge is not 100% accurate (3/6 bars does not equate to half a tank left, etc) and about a guy who filled up on when the meter showed 1/6 bar, but had almost 1.5 gallons left in the tank... Would there be an indicator of sorts that will show if you have only 0.2 gallons or something? Like, the last bar is blinking or something? 
I haven't personally gotten into that point yet, but wouldn't want to test it out just to find myself stranded yet again (old bike had no fuel gauge)

After 8k miles I still don't have it pinned down. Yesterday I filled it up. I had ridden 30 miles on the F trip meter and I put 3 gallons in to the top ring. That leaves .7 left in the tank! The guage is def not accurate. It errors on the side of prompting you to get to the gas station before running out.

Also, if you are in the city and near gas stations all the time, I have started my bike twice only to have it die from no fuel. Stood the bike upright, started, and had enough to go a couple mile to a gas station. I know, I was cutting it close, but nice to know the shape of the tank has a little extra when you stand it up.

Guest Ralph

At least it gives a little warning and does not cut dead like every other
injected bike I have had did, if like me and you sometimes ride out in the sticks
were fuel is hard to find you could ride with a container of fuel and see how
far you can go so you know but I would not make a habit of it as the fuel
cools and lubes the pump.

• 1 year later...

listen. the USA F7-07 owners manual states the full fuel tank capacity is 3.7 gallons to the bottom of the filler tube. It also states there is a "fuel reserve" amount of 0.71 gallons. There is also a "Fuel Reserve Tripmeter'.
"When the fuel level becomes low, the fuel level warning indicator AND the last-segment-of-the-fuel-meter will start flashing. The (Tripmeter) display will change to the fuel Reserve tripmeter, and start counting the distance traveled from-that-point." If everything is  working and the above facts are the case, I have already used 3.0 gallons of gasoline. I have a 0.7 gallon reserve left if the fuel gauge and the reserved fuel level are accurately reported. If I know what my bike's average MPG is, I can figure how far i 'might' go before my bike is empty and need to gas up appropriately.

Unfortunately, the above is not the case. When the fuel level warning indicator and the last segment of fuel meter start flashing, and when the Tripmeter displays Reserve, i should know i am 0.7 gallons away from walking. But,
how come my fuel tank will take 2.4 gallons of fuel to the bottom of the fuel filler tube, with the bike standing up straight, after all the warning signs listed above start to display??

I doesn't really matter what shape the gas tank has or how many MpG i get. A manual "reserve fuel" lever would be a better indicator of 'Low on Gas' than the system provided with the FZ-07.

I think the reserve is pretty accurate now, but that it is really, really difficult to fill the tank. I fill above the bottom of the filler neck every time, but the most I've gotten in was 12.9 litres, or 3.33 gallons. And then the engine had been missing for 5 miles due to lack of fuel. The distance I got out of reserve correspond well with the listed reserve, however.

I've found that my fuel avg is a bit off aswell. For example, if my fuel avg says i have an average consumption of 3.6l/100km then its usually about 3.3 to 3.4l/100km. I think they might've done this to take into account the amount of fuel thats in the tank that you can't actually use. I've kept track of this for a few months now by using the same pump at the same service station. The gauge is generally showing about 5-7% more than what it actually is.

If you want to be sure, do what i did and keep track of it. Im sure each bike is a bit different depending on year of manufacture and unmentioned upgrades to the systems

I've noticed with my bike if it reads E it takes one gal. to put it up to the halfway mark or a tick over. It's just not an accurate gauge so I don't worry myself with how much gas it really has in it and just fill it at the end of each ride, which for me is when it reads about half a tank. I don't ever have to worry about running out of gas that way.

Beemer

ducttapewd40

I average around 55mpg and I've run out at 180 miles on the tank and 30 miles on the reserve, if that helps.

I don't worry myself with how much gas it really has in it and just fill it at the end of each ride, which for me is when it reads about half a tank. I don't ever have to worry about running out of gas that way.
I strongly dislike to refuel, it is a waste of time. So I try to do it as little as possible. There is nothing beneficial visiting gas stations. I'd much rather bring some food and find a creek or a waterfall or a silent harbour to take a rest than a stinking gas station. My XT600 had a 30 litre fuel tank and a range of 600 km, or 370 miles, to dry. Now, that I liked :) I could fill up after 400 km / 250 miles and still have plenty in reserve. Imagine what that tank size together with the much lower consumption of the FZ could do for range - up to 900 km / 560 miles possible  8-)

I don't worry myself with how much gas it really has in it and just fill it at the end of each ride, which for me is when it reads about half a tank. I don't ever have to worry about running out of gas that way.
I strongly dislike to refuel, it is a waste of time. So I try to do it as little as possible. There is nothing beneficial visiting gas stations. I'd much rather bring some food and find a creek or a waterfall or a silent harbour to take a rest than a stinking gas station. My XT600 had a 30 litre fuel tank and a range of 600 km, or 370 miles, to dry. Now, that I liked :) I could fill up after 400 km / 250 miles and still have plenty in reserve. Imagine what that tank size together with the much lower consumption of the FZ could do for range - up to 900 km / 560 miles possible  8-)

I think 30 litres is probably a bit much gor a bike lile this but I've often thought it would be great if it had a 17-20 litre tank capacity. Then again, all that extra weight up there would probably impact the performance and the bike might not be as much fun. Its a tough one really but i think if the engine wasnt so capable of being economical it would be a much bigger issue. It would for me anyway.

I don't think I have ever been able to feel the difference between an full and an empty tank. Perhaps if I tried to, but I don't. Not even the XT with the big tank. I probably use a bit more effort to change direction or push the thing around, but as I said, I really haven't noticed any changes. I used to push my 330 kg Z1300 up a 16-degree ramp when parking it, but cannot recall the amount of fuel mattered - it was always bloody heavy work :D

Ive noticed its definitely a bit 'crisper' going into corners with the 'f trip' flashing. Just seems to be a bit easier to flick through it. Could just be my imagination though.....?

You are probably correct in that you feel a difference - after all, Doohan went from a clear winner to being well off the pace after Honda - without telling - had moved the tank 5 mm up and 20 mm forward. Doohan kept insisting they had changed the bike, Honda refused - until one recalled the fuel tank redesign. Doohan then totally dominated practice for the 3rd race of the season before hitting a wet painted sumble strip that ended his career. But the point is that even small changes can be felt, it's just that I don't - probably because I do not look for them or ride hard enough.

I didn't mention that I don't just fill up my gas tank at a gas station, I actually have something good to look forward to when I'm there, it's become a little ritual. I go to Wawa's and they have outdoor tables where you can sit down with a nice cold drink at the end of a ride and just relax. They have some of the best tea, raspberry and peach flavored so I always get one, sit my butt down and chill. Makes filling the tank worth it. Then I go home and get a dose of stress.  :P 

Beemer

Sounds like a much nicer gas station than anything you can find around here 8-)  Our gas stations are more like small grocery shops where you also buy heavily overpriced hot dogs. 

OK, this may be peculiar to my bike, or it may be generic, but the gage is off. By a lot. And I think I was correct before, with the bike calculating reserve, and that the level is not measured.

Last time, I did not fill the tank completely because it was hot (by Norwegia standards), sunny, and I was not going to ride away immediately. To prevent overflowing, I left a bit of room in the tank.

The E began flashing after 127 miles. I rode another 11 miles before topping up. I filled over the neck by a 1/4in and waited a minute or two. The level had then gone down to being level with the filler neck floor and stayed there. So IMO the tank was full. I got 9.71 litres in. the computer said 59 mpg, calculated it was 53.5 - expected since the tank was not full last time.

If we subtract the .68 litres required to ride from the flashing E to the fill-up, we get 5 litres, or 1.3 gallon on reserve. Substantially more than the 0.7 proclaimed by the manual.

At least mechanical reserve switches were consistent. They could also be manipulated by shortening or lengthening the main supply tube.

Archived