Sign in to follow this  
darrooh

First track day

darrooh
I'll be having my first track day in june. Happened to find an amazing deal with RideSmart which will be hosting at Motorsport Ranch Cresson. Ethylene Glycol based coolant is allowed. Not sure what type of coolant comes with the bike or if it's dependant on where you purchased from. My question is is that something I will have to change or should it be fine as is?

sorkyah
I'll be having my first track day in june. Happened to find an amazing deal with RideSmart which will be hosting at Motorsport Ranch Cresson. Ethylene Glycol based coolant is allowed. Not sure what type of coolant comes with the bike or if it's dependant on where you purchased from. My question is is that something I will have to change or should it be fine as is?
Yamacool is an Ethelyne Glycol based coolant...
that is the Factory (blue-green) coolant

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

drewnabobber
You would know if your coolant is not glycol because you would have changed it. Pretty much all OEM coolant or any replacement 'anti-freeze' is glycol based.

For trackdays it is rare to have to swap out your coolant, but for racing it is a requirement that the bike be running only water and/or approved additives (water wetter).

The coolant in your bike acts as a lubricant on the water pump, and glycol based coolants are very slippery if there is a spill, just like oil. But the problem with glycol is that it is very difficult to clean it up, even harder than oil in many cases. It does not evaporate, it does not get soaked up by the 'kitty litter' as well as oil, and it cannot be burned away.

username
You would know if your coolant is not glycol because you would have changed it. Pretty much all OEM coolant or any replacement 'anti-freeze' is glycol based. 
For trackdays it is rare to have to swap out your coolant, but for racing it is a requirement that the bike be running only water and/or approved additives (water wetter).

The coolant in your bike acts as a lubricant on the water pump, and glycol based coolants are very slippery if there is a spill, just like oil. But the problem with glycol is that it is very difficult to clean it up, even harder than oil in many cases. It does not evaporate, it does not get soaked up by the 'kitty litter' as well as oil, and it cannot be burned away.

Shop vac?

gregjet
Actually sawdust works reasonably well then hose

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...