The MT-07 Forum

Best bike site I've ever belonged to

yamahappy74

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Honestly. I may have just bought a new bike, but I'd rather spend my time here. The other sites are not nearly as well put together and don't seem to be populated with the same kind of mature, polite people I've run into here.

• Global Moderator

You are more than welcome here. It is a great community. We do not mind that you so not have the best bike anymore :)

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

what's that I see in your avatar? gsxr? Took my friend's 2015 for a couple days and got bit by the "bigger bike" bug :(

How are you liking the new bike now? If it's the GSX, my back was KILLING me 10-15 mins into my commute, don't think I can daily it but I can't get the power/acceleration out of my head.

• Premium Member
what's that I see in your avatar? gsxr? Took my friend's 2015 for a couple days and got bit by the "bigger bike" bug :( 
How are you liking the new bike now? If it's the GSX, my back was KILLING me 10-15 mins into my commute, don't think I can daily it but I can't get the power/acceleration out of my head.
FZ-09, perhaps?  FZ-10?  (*assuming we get them)

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

I'm thinking something a little more... European; the FZ isn't going anywhere which should make my decision a little easier. Despite being more uncomfortable, I'm almost convinced that I need to go super sport while I am still young (somewhat) and in shape (again, somewhat). ::shrugs::

My car is being sold and funds from that are going towards the purchase of 2nd bike, haven't researched each of these bikes extensively but:

MV Agusta Dragster RR
S1000RR
Daytona 675/r
Used Paningale

I loved the smoothness of the GSX, however not sure if that's characteristic of the 4 cylinder. Instead of deciding on a bike, I think I'm going to decide on the next engine I want to try and go from there. Hopefully I'll get one in a couple months time. Life's too short to be bike monogamous. If you or anyone who reads this has anything to say good or bad about that list of bikes, please do tell.

I would put the BMW on my bucket list. With high-rise clipons you can can make it more livable. And when you're ready to carve, move the bars lower. Convertibars might still be in business.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
phicurious86
I'm thinking something a little more... European; the FZ isn't going anywhere which should make my decision a little easier. Despite being more uncomfortable, I'm almost convinced that I need to go super sport while I am still young (somewhat) and in shape (again, somewhat). ::shrugs:: 
My car is being sold and funds from that are going towards the purchase of 2nd bike, haven't researched each of these bikes extensively but:

MV Agusta Dragster RR
S1000RR
Daytona 675/r
Used Paningale

I loved the smoothness of the GSX, however not sure if that's characteristic of the 4 cylinder. Instead of deciding on a bike, I think I'm going to decide on the next engine I want to try and go from there. Hopefully I'll get one in a couple months time. Life's too short to be bike monogamous. If you or anyone who reads this has anything to say good or bad about that list of bikes, please do tell.

The S1000RR is one helluva bike. You will (should) never want more power and acceleration than it can provide and it's got lots of techno goodies that increase riding confidence and comfort. You could even, as Pattonme suggested, make some changes to the rear sets and bars to make it pretty damn comfy, though you'd lose the super sport stance. Last time I was at my Euro dealer I got to take one for a really short spin (like 2 miles =P) and it was insane, batshet insane. In fact so insane that I'd probably get in more trouble than it would be worth.

That Daytona R in white/black/red is effing gorgeous, and I would have purchased it instead of my str r, were it not for that painful supersport riding position. You could do the same thing to the Daytona in terms of clip ons and rear sets, and it will still definitely scratch your itch for power and acceleration (though you'd probably benefit from dropping a tooth in the front). + the triple engine is awesome.

I know what I'd pick if I had to have a super sport and it would be the Daytona (I was already a hairsbreadth from picking up a 2014 daytona r). At least 2k more cash in my pocket, and I'd be way less likely to get myself in trouble physically or legally. Were I not so cautious and only interested in PURE POWA!!! ... I'd spend that extra 2k and get a bike that I wouldn't worry about needing to get a power upgrade for.

• Premium Member

Or you could get a new Eric Buell Racing Supersport if your feeling adventurous ;)
1200 cc must be somewhat fast I would imagine.

Cruizin's reply made me lol. Like he was responding to a newly regged member or something. :P

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator

MV Agusta Dragster RR
S1000RR
Daytona 675/r
Used Paningale

The S1000RR is one helluva bike. You will (should) never want more power and acceleration than it can provide and it's got lots of techno goodies that increase riding confidence and comfort. You could even, as Pattonme suggested, make some changes to the rear sets and bars to make it pretty damn comfy, though you'd lose the super sport stance. Last time I was at my Euro dealer I got to take one for a really short spin (like 2 miles =P) and it was insane, batshet insane. In fact so insane that I'd probably get in more trouble than it would be worth.  
That Daytona R in white/black/red is effing gorgeous, and I would have purchased it instead of my str r, were it not for that painful supersport riding position. You could do the same thing to the Daytona in terms of clip ons and rear sets, and it will still definitely scratch your itch for power and acceleration (though you'd probably benefit from dropping a tooth in the front). + the triple engine is awesome.

I know what I'd pick if I had to have a super sport and it would be the Daytona (I was already a hairsbreadth from picking up a 2014 daytona r). At least 2k more cash in my pocket, and I'd be way less likely to get myself in trouble physically or legally. Were I not so cautious and only interested in PURE POWA!!! ... I'd spend that extra 2k and get a bike that I wouldn't worry about needing to get a power upgrade for.

6f1d29490000412011029ddcd1a5f6d1.jpg

Whats the difference between this and yours? They look very similar

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

6f1d29490000412011029ddcd1a5f6d1.jpg 
Some significant differences. Big stuff, off the top of my head, is Ohlins suspension instead of KYB, 20 more hp and 4ft/lb more torque. Quick shifter. Revs about 2k higher and has slightly taller gearing everywhere.

You mean aside from the fact the Gray bike can be ridden in the southern hemisphere without falling into space?
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
I would also look hard at the Honda veefer interceptor
The new VFR is really nice. I sat on one this past weekend. They finally ditched the undertail exhaust but it still retains the single sided swingarm. I also really like Moto Guzzi. I've seen several that look mean as hell. The newer Triumph Daytona 675 is a really cool bike. I was looking at one back in '04 but they were crap back then; handled really poorly and felt cheap. It is, in fact, a 2012 GSXR 600. I haven't gotten to ride it yet because although the weather has been decent (63 today in Minneapolis), it's still really salty and grimy on the roads. I left it in storage for now at the dealer. Believe me, I'm chomping at the bit. It is honestly causing me to lose sleep, lol. I caught myself looking at bus tickets so I just ride down there and ride the bike back here. I don't think my wife would be too happy about that. She wants us to ride down there two up on her bike and then we'll ride back separately. At any rate, it'll be a couple more weeks yet.

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

MV Agusta Dragster RR
S1000RR
Daytona 675/r
Used Paningale

Hahah, you really think you'd get in that much more trouble in a litre bike? I rode my first triple last night, friend picked up a 2013 striple (non-r) and honestly, maybe I was expecting more? The engine was nice, it was peppy....but it really didn't feel any faster than the FZ. The brakes weren't dazzling and the suspension is very similar to the FZ. I know the R-versions are different and I'm sure the Daytona will NOT disappoint, but w/ my background in cars it'd mean checking off my bucket list to own a beamer like @pattonme said. If only just for a couple years. I am constantly convincing myself a S1k is a 'reasonable' bike to daily on but then I hop on the FZ and it's probably close to a perfect commuter to me and the fear of losing that compromise between comfort and sport creeps up.

Or you could get a new Eric Buell Racing Supersport if your feeling adventurous ;)
1200 cc must be somewhat fast I would imagine.

Not THAT adventurous :P

It is, in fact, a 2012 GSXR 600. I haven't gotten to ride it yet because although the weather has been decent (63 today in Minneapolis), it's still really salty and grimy on the roads. I left it in storage for now at the dealer. Believe me, I'm chomping at the bit. It is honestly causing me to lose sleep, lol. I caught myself looking at bus tickets so I just ride down there and ride the bike back here. I don't think my wife would be too happy about that. She wants us to ride down there two up on her bike and then we'll ride back separately. At any rate, it'll be a couple more weeks yet.

I do not envy you, that must be killer knowing it's waiting for you and it's mother nature that's c0ckblocking you 8D

Well I hope clear skies come your way very soon and you enjoy the first ride of spring with your wife, it's great to see couples riding together--I'm working my way there!

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Hahah, you really think you'd get in that much more trouble in a litre bike? I rode my first triple last night, friend picked up a 2013 striple (non-r) and honestly, maybe I was expecting more? The engine was nice, it was peppy....but it really didn't feel any faster than the FZ. The brakes weren't dazzling and the suspension is very similar to the FZ. I know the R-versions are different and I'm sure the Daytona will NOT disappoint, but w/ my background in cars it'd mean checking off my bucket list to own a beamer like @pattonme said. If only just for a couple years. I am constantly convincing myself a S1k is a 'reasonable' bike to daily on but then I hop on the FZ and it's probably close to a perfect commuter to me and the fear of losing that compromise between comfort and sport creeps up.  

Not just a litre bike, but a litre bike with 190+ wheel hp stock, compared to 115+ on the daytona, and 84ish ft/lb torque compared to 52ish ft/lb. Granted the Daytona is about 50 lbs lighter than the s1000rr, but what definitely tipped the s1000rr into crazy territory was the launch control feature. I only revved to about 8k when I dumped the clutch, but it still felt like I was shot out of a gun (it legit scared me, but the launch control feature never let the wheel get more than about 10inches off the ground). I'm sure I'd abuse that feature once I got used to it.   
The engines just made me feel like that s1000rr was an accident waiting to happen with all that size, power, and torque on the street. My str r feels so light and tame by comparison (even though I can still go 0-60 in a lazy eyeblink).

Has your friend changed any of the gearing on the str? The gearing is so much taller in 1st compared to the fz, it'll definitely feel lazy. Dropping a tooth in the front on mine helped wake her up.

If there were a decent dealer network for MV agusta then this bike might also make the list - http://www.mvagusta.com/en-gb/motorcycles/f3-800/#

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Not just a litre bike, but a litre bike with 190+ wheel hp stock, compared to 115+ on the daytona, and 84ish ft/lb torque compared to 52ish ft/lb. Granted the Daytona is about 50 lbs lighter than the s1000rr, but what definitely tipped the s1000rr into crazy territory was the launch control feature. I only revved to about 8k when I dumped the clutch, but it still felt like I was shot out of a gun (it legit scared me, but the launch control feature never let the wheel get more than about 10inches off the ground). I'm sure I'd abuse that feature once I got used to it.   
The engines just made me feel like that s1000rr was an accident waiting to happen with all that size, power, and torque on the street. My str r feels so light and tame by comparison (even though I can still go 0-60 in a lazy eyeblink).

Has your friend changed any of the gearing on the str? The gearing is so much taller in 1st compared to the fz, it'll definitely feel lazy. Dropping a tooth in the front on mine helped wake her up.

If there were a decent dealer network for MV agusta then this bike might also make the list - http://www.mvagusta.com/en-gb/motorcycles/f3-800/#

Wow. That sounds exciting and yes, definitely trouble. I can't tell if that makes me want the bike more (likely) or less (less likely). Even if I can't ride it to a tenth of it's potential, who the hell cares right? (RIGHT??) The F3 is a fantastic looking bike, but I'm much more for the naked dragster, that bike is my favorite naked by far (while the S1k is my fav looking fairing'ed--surprise surprise). If I end up w/ that bike can I blame the decision entirely on you/our conversation today?

For some reason, I thought you're close to my location in SoCal? Anyway, we do have access to the full range of italians @GP motorcycle but don't think I ever saw an F3 IRL now that I think about it.

Okay, I completely noticed the taller gears and you're right that's probably part of the issue. I'll mention it to him once he gets some miles under his belt. How many bikes do you have? You talk STR, Day day and you're on an FZ forum. ::scratches head::

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Wow. That sounds exciting and yes, definitely trouble. I can't tell if that makes me want the bike more (likely) or less (less likely). Even if I can't ride it to a tenth of it's potential, who the hell cares right? (RIGHT??) The F3 is a fantastic looking bike, but I'm much more for the naked dragster, that bike is my favorite naked by far (while the S1k is my fav looking fairing'ed--surprise surprise). If I end up w/ that bike can I blame the decision entirely on you/our conversation today?  
For some reason, I thought you're close to my location in SoCal? Anyway, we do have access to the full range of italians @gp motorcycle but don't think I ever saw an F3 IRL now that I think about it.

Okay, I completely noticed the taller gears and you're right that's probably part of the issue. I'll mention it to him once he gets some miles under his belt. How many bikes do you have? You talk STR, Day day and you're on an FZ forum. ::scratches head::
No joke on the dragster and brutale rr looking gorgeous, though like you I've never seen them in person. I'm not sure the beemer is my favorite looking faired bike, but it is a stunner. Looks like some kind of bad ass mutant shark with the gills on the right and the other asymmetry. Blame me if you want, but I think you'll blame the bike if you can get a test ride that allows you to open it up.

Just one bike in the stable right now. Had the fz07, had some scares with locking the front brake on her (Is it just me or does the front lock up really easy?). Decided to look for something with abs and was really jonesing for a Daytona. Wonder of wonders two pristine 2013 models were available locally and I went to check one of them out. Sat on it, rode it around the block, and just couldn't get comfortable with the riding position. Loved the engine sound though. Switched gears and went looking for an str r. Found a steal on a 2014 str r in LA, drove a rental car out there, bought the bike and drove it back to Phoenix. Loving it.

Sticking on this forum, because it's awesome I guess ;)

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
For some reason, I thought you're close to my location in SoCal? Anyway, we do have access to the full range of italians @gp motorcycle but don't think I ever saw an F3 IRL now that I think about it.

No joke on the dragster and brutale rr looking gorgeous, though like you I've never seen them in person. I'm not sure the beemer is my favorite looking faired bike, but it is a stunner. Looks like some kind of bad ass mutant shark with the gills on the right and the other asymmetry. Blame me if you want, but I think you'll blame the bike if you can get a test ride that allows you to open it up.  
Just one bike in the stable right now. Had the fz07, had some scares with locking the front brake on her (Is it just me or does the front lock up really easy?). Decided to look for something with abs and was really jonesing for a Daytona. Wonder of wonders two pristine 2013 models were available locally and I went to check one of them out. Sat on it, rode it around the block, and just couldn't get comfortable with the riding position. Loved the engine sound though. Switched gears and went looking for an str r. Found a steal on a 2014 str r in LA, drove a rental car out there, bought the bike and drove it back to Phoenix. Loving it.

Sticking on this forum, because it's awesome I guess ;)

Yikes, I've actually never been in a situation where I had to use the brakes to that extent; the brakes coupled with the suspension isn't exactly a combo that gives me any sort of confidence though so I'm sure that limit will come in a heartbeat.

Did you end up selling the FZ? I can't believe you went to LA from PHX for a bike! I thought my friend was crazy for wanting to drive up to LA to check out an FZ09. Never had the guts to step into the BMW Motorrad dealership but it seems like things are coming to a head. Fingers crossed they hold demo days or allow test rides, it's such a difference from shopping for a car.

Glad you're still around even if you've moved on!

• Premium Member
I would also look hard at the Honda veefer interceptor
The new VFR is really nice. I sat on one this past weekend. They finally ditched the undertail exhaust but it still retains the single sided swingarm.  

When @ch3rryghost mentioned wanted MOAR POWER but was uncomfortable riding a supersport, I immediately thought of both the Interceptor 800 and the BMW F800GT -- nice 100+ HP bikes but a more comfortable ride (think middleweight sport tourers) -- may be a nice compromise.  I seriously lusted after the bimmer for a long time before I pulled the trigger on the 07 (mostly because I saved like 5 grand :) )

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
The new VFR is really nice. I sat on one this past weekend. They finally ditched the undertail exhaust but it still retains the single sided swingarm.  

When @ch3rryghost mentioned wanted MOAR POWER but was uncomfortable riding a supersport, I immediately thought of both the Interceptor 800 and the BMW F800GT -- nice 100+ HP bikes but a more comfortable ride (think middleweight sport tourers) -- may be a nice compromise.  I seriously lusted after the bimmer for a long time before I pulled the trigger on the 07 (mostly because I saved like 5 grand :) )
I'm wondering if I could convince my newly M1-crowned husband to commute the SS to his work (~2 miles away) and allow me to keep the FZ to commute. THAT'D be the ideal situation :)

what kind of person rides an MC 2 miles? that's walking distance. Or just ride on the back of yours on your way to work. :)  He might get the thrill of his life.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
what kind of person rides an MC 2 miles? that's walking distance. Or just ride on the back of yours on your way to work. :)  He might get the thrill of his life.

That's a funny comment, you got an actual LOL out of me and made me look up true distance on GMaps. 3.7 miles, that's like long walk, short drive territory.

Few years back he was in the "why would anyone ride a motorcycle? that's the dumbest thing anyone can do" that quotes close to verbatim btw, I just couldn't convince him with words, to me it was no big deal. And at the end of 2014, I went out and bought a bike w/o discussion with him or anyone for that matter. Surprised he was, but not entirely upset. He's just a worry bug and very risk averse. Close friends around us started picking up bikes, and at the end of February, he took the MSF course (passed). Just last week when I got home first words out of his mouth "Guess what, I got my license!" (as in the physical license) and was very excited to show me.

This past weekend I told him to take my bike to our friends house who live a couple miles away (2.5 miles maybe) and he happily agreed to. He was very excited and couldn't stop talking about how much more comfortable he felt after completing the course. He had taken the bike around the block a few times w/o any training and he was a nervous wreck and stalled the bike a handful of times. Now he doesn't want a 300 (was in the process of getting him an R3) and says he feels very comfortable on my bike.

So that's where we're at, he has come so far--we don't share much in common in hobbies, he's more fishing/golfing and I'm more adrenaline/motorsport/video game type so for him to be interested in commuting to work on two wheels I'm over the moon in excitement and will gladly buy him a bike (or in this case, buy myself a bike and hand down the FZ).

Between you and I and the internet, my goal is to get him on a long road trip in a year or two and on his current trajectory, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it plays out.

OH! I did ride w/ him two up on my bike, back when I only had maybe 5k under my belt and he did NOT like it. We only went 2 miles away and got the bike up to 35 which my husband thought was a lot faster. I didn't either, the dive under braking was very unnerving to me. Though I'd do a lot better now, FZ doesn't exactly seem like a two up bike to me.

The 2 days of MSF training isn't much but I agree with your observations. It can make a massive difference. Why else do I stand out there, feet sore and sweltering on the blacktop waving students down for their next exercise? It's the light in the eyes and the smiles on their faces as they get their completion cards.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived