The MT-07 Forum

Performance upgrades

cdean911

Looking at a power commander and bigger front sprocket for my fz07, anyone have any input or experience with either or how much of a difference it'll make

• Premium Member
Looking at a power commander and bigger front sprocket for my fz07, anyone have any input or experience with either or how much of a difference it'll make

You can get a power commander. Or you can get the splendid EJK which is what I have. They do the same thing but a power commander you hook up to a computer and EJK there has 3 buttons and you do it on the fly. Power commander is more expensive also which judging by your previous post may persuade you to go with the EJK. Sometimes there are discounts for members on this site and you can get a package with an exhaust included. The EJK makes throttle response so much smoother. Your bike is less jumpy when you go to give it a bit of gas. I love it. Members love it. You can't go wrong. Also you can send off your computer for a reflash too. Which I do believe is your best bet because the technicians are pretty thorough at tuning them and you wold get the best gains from doing this dending on what exhaust you have. Do you have an exhaust yet?

• Global Moderator
I went -2 in the rear.... lost a bit of torque in first... but a much better feel overall imo... but i aslo went with a 520 conversion for a lighter drivetrain.
-3 in the rear would be very nearly the same as +1 in the front but i think the 17t sprocket would give you a better wear life
just remember the front but is staked, so you'll need a new one

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I don't I just happen to find a commander for a low price I believe it's pre set too but I'm not sure I'd have to look back up

• Premium Member
I don't I just happen to find a commander for a low price I believe it's pre set too but I'm not sure I'd have to look back up

You'll definitely want an exhaust with your commander. It's not 100% required but you'll get more gain out of it. A new air filter helps the cause also. Not to mention removing the snorkel. The filter and snorkel will allow air to go through your bike with less restriction. What's the commander going for that your looking at?

• Global Moderator

@2wheeldynoworks Nels does a reflash of the OEM ECU to compensate for whatever mods you already have, and the computer will keep learning/building off that as well.

@tuninghq has stage1 kits available(EJK tuner and exhaust) you will need to install both, and then set the map using the fuel controller panel

The PCV, Bazzaz, and EJK all are separate fuel controllers(pcv and bazzaz allowing for ignition control as well)
Pcv, ejk, and bazzaz tuners are all re-tuneable/ customizeable

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

2wheeldynoworks

One advantage of an ecu flash over a fuel controller, is we have the fueling included in an ecu flash, and also are able to make many changes that get a level of increased performance that just fueling can't achieve.

Depending on the type of performance you are going for, more giddy up or better MPG's?

If you put a bigger sprocket on the front you will make your gearing taller, giving you better MPG but less get up and go, but less revs at highway speeds.

@2wheeldynoworks Nels does a reflash of the OEM ECU to compensate for whatever mods you already have, and the computer will keep learning/building off that as well.

If someone knows otherwise, correct me if I am wrong, but, from my years as an auto tech and doing some tuning on my custom FI project, I understand the computer will not keep learning after a 2wheeldynoworks flash. ECU's require a feedback to continue learning. The feedback must be after combustion in the engine cycle and the only sensor that it can use is the O2 sensor. If I remember correctly, 2wheeldynoworks uses an AlphaN system and doesn't use the O2. This system cannot learn as it goes, but with a good tuner it can be very, very efficient IF the fuel and ignition maps are set for your SPECIFIC engine components. I rode to their shop and had my bike on the dyno. I feel very confident that they tuned the ECU to work very efficiently for my setup. They have done this for many different bike part configs and if you have the same setup it's an easy mail in and your done. If you have a different set up, I would want my bike on the dyno to make sure it's correct. 
EDIT: Gramar ;)

One advantage of an ecu flash over a fuel controller, is we have the fueling included in an ecu flash, and also are able to make many changes that get a level of increased performance that just fueling can't achieve.
TL;DR EJK/ Power Commander are like bandaids that sorta improve the bike if all you want is a little more power with less overall performance. Flashing the ECU is infinitely better, based on data.

@cdean911 I can't stress how important this is. I am in no way affiliated with @2wheeldynoworks but, having spent much time with Megasquirt(a fully customizable fuel and ignition system), I do understand the invaluable result of tuning an engine the correct way. You simply cannot come close to a full flash (be it 2wheeldynoworks or another company) by using a piggyback system (Power Commander, EKJ). Those are good products, but a FAAAAAAR cry away from the full flash. 

When 2wheeldynoworks did my flash he covered the changes. Accurate fueling, AND: elimination of rev limiter/speed limiter if there is one, adjust engine cooling fan on/off temps (invaluable for hot summer riding), elimination of fuel cut on decel!, fuel balancing (apparently the engine cuts fuel to one cylinder under certain conditions), and ignition curve changes. This creates an ultra smooth riding experience. I have dyno charts proving the increase in performance, AND, I didn't believe it at first, but my highway cruising mileage went up about 1 MPG (which, do to possible sampling error, we can just say that after tuning for more power the flash didn't decrease highway mileage at all), because they didn't just add fuel like the other piggy back systems do, the flash increased the efficiency of the engine and this equates to more power without a signifcant cost of mileage. With that said, my city mileage dropped a little bit because all of the Yamaha tactics to increase advertised mileage (fuel cut, unbalance cylinder fueling, weak ignition curves, lean spots in fuel map) were corrected. BUT the trade off is a more reliable and smoother engine. 

The EJK and Power Commander will only add or take away overall fuel. It will not balance anything! Nor will it take advantage of the power gain potential of adjusting the ignition curve. :(  

Bigcity - any chance we can get a look at your dyno runs? It'd be nice to see the perf changes. Thanks.

Bigcity - any chance we can get a look at your dyno runs? It'd be nice to see the perf changes. Thanks.
I'm guessing its in the 2wheeldynoworks thread. My FZ was their test mule for the Termignoni.

I took my bike to the track today for the first time I had geat time and didn't do to bad in my opinion, I hit 7.972 in my fastest runat 87.2 mph in the 1/8, if I knew how to
Upload pictures and videos I have the tickets, I raced my friend who has a triumph triple speed 955, left his ass, but we're both new to the drag strip

• Global Moderator
I took my bike to the track today for the first time I had geat time and didn't do to bad in my opinion, I hit 7.972 in my fastest runat 87.2 mph in the 1/8, if I knew how to Upload pictures and videos I have the tickets, I raced my friend who has a triumph triple speed 955, left his ass, but we're both new to the drag strip
That sounds like fun. The Speed Triple will leave you in the dust when your friend has more practice. You are not going to beat a bike with that much more power. 

I've noticed that the fz09 exhaust are some what cheaper than the fz07 , Anyone think the slip on if cut correctly will fit on the fz07, it's a good bit difference price wise, just a though

Found some nice looking exhaust from Dan Moto does anyone know anything about them what they would do for the bike performance and weight I've read a little on here but not what I'm
Looking for

• Premium Member
Found some nice looking exhaust from Dan Moto does anyone know anything about them what they would do for the bike performance and weight I've read a little on here but not what I'm Looking for

I think Dan Moto is a pretty cheap brand from China. I could be wrong mind you. If you want cheaper try the Ixil hyperlow or the M4 they are fairly cheap but not bad quality. I would trust them over Dan moto.

• Premium Member
Would m4 improve performance I've found some and the sound pretty good

In combination with a fuel controller slightly. In combination with a ECU flash for sure. The sound will be way better too you will love it when you put it on.

• 2 weeks later...
jeepinbassist
Found some nice looking exhaust from Dan Moto does anyone know anything about them what they would do for the bike performance and weight I've read a little on here but not what I'm Looking for

I've been looking into the Danmoto systems as well. So far I haven't seen any dyno tests so I have no idea on the preformance aspect. Hopefully there will be some dyno work on them soon.

Archived