The MT-07 Forum

Need help chopping bike and vintage parts ideas!!!

kreeee23

Hey fellas I'm a new member.....I need some suggestions.  I'm about to buy a brand new FZ-07 and I want to give it a "cafe racer/scrambler/offroad/vintage/bobber"  look kind of like these pictures.  Anybody know who built the blue one and what headlight and fork guards he used?  I wish they sold the xsr700 here in the States since that would be a better bike to start with for the look I'm going for, but since they don't I plan to start with an FZ-07.  I also plan to chop the passenger seat off, anybody done this?  Also what are the best 50/50 terrain tires to buy?  Thanks for any help!

[div]cgdzmgy.jpg
OqyNkCh.jpg
yALhUlo.jpg
FfuTPfh.png
6flmCWa.jpg
MA1GOiZ.jpg
[/div]

• Premium Member

I know nothing about making this happen but his idea is really attractive

Check this link out below. Supposedly you can buy all the parts in spring 2016. The tires on the blue bike are Continental TKC 80. They have good reviews and I almost put them on my KLR. 
http://thebikeshed.cc/2015/10/27/jvb-moto-xsr700-super-7/

I honestly was at a point where I was willing to spend a few k importing XSR700 parts and the Super 7 custom kit (which is not even out yet- if ever) but I was shot down when I came to realize that the back frame of fz07 is completely incompatible with the XSR700's.  It is all welded on.  So back to the drawing board (I'm waiting for XSR900s to hit the US showrooms).

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

I'm not a cafe racer guy but they always remind me of that scene from Lawrence of Arabia so I googled it to find out what kind of bike it is. All I can say is wow.
800px-Brough_Superior_of_T.E._Lawrence.jpg

Can't wait to see some pictures of cafe racer FZ's.

Yeah Ive seen that Super 7 too. She's a beaut!  Thanks for the comment too, because I thought that was just a one time custom build... didn't realize they were putting those parts into production.  Yeah the fact that the tail on the fz-07 isn't a bolt on/off subframe like the xsr700 is the real bummer I'm facing.   It would be an awful thing cutting into a brand new bike. plus not having the option to just bolt the passenger seat back up stinks.  But I'm too impatient to wait for the xsr700 to get here, (if it ever even does).  And I have to have that look, so Looks like I'll be gettin' to sawin' n weldin' when she gets here ;)   Thanks for pointing out the tire brand also!

• 5 months later...
Yeah Ive seen that Super 7 too. She's a beaut!  Thanks for the comment too, because I thought that was just a one time custom build... didn't realize they were putting those parts into production.  Yeah the fact that the tail on the fz-07 isn't a bolt on/off subframe like the xsr700 is the real bummer I'm facing.   It would be an awful thing cutting into a brand new bike. plus not having the option to just bolt the passenger seat back up stinks.  But I'm too impatient to wait for the xsr700 to get here, (if it ever even does).  And I have to have that look, so Looks like I'll be gettin' to sawin' n weldin' when she gets here ;)   Thanks for pointing out the tire brand also!

Have you looked at the XSR900's now that they are available?

Not sure when the SCR950 will be available but I'm not sure what parts will fit since it is based off the Bolt.

Have you thought about picking up parts from sites like Dime City and fabricating the parts to fit yourself or having a shop fabricate the parts/bike to make it work? With money, anything is almost possible.

• 1 year later...

First time posting, I've been doing a lot digging on this exact topic. The XSR seat locks into the frame like the passenger seat on the FZ07. The locking mechanism is a bolt on part, which you can buy on https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/yamaha-parts/motorcycles/xsr700-2016/frame-737098.aspx (part [HASH]6).

The XSR frame ends where the frame meets and it really looks like the same point has just been extended on the FZ07.

My thoughts are, buy the seat bracket and find out if can be attached or welded. If this is the case than there is the possibility of shortening (I didn't say chop) the subframe of the FZ07 without loosing rigidity. Because TBH, the XSR has been getting way too much attention and the FZ07 just keeps getting the same boring tracker type jobs done to it.

Let me know if I'm right the f*&^ out of it.

Archived