The MT-07 Forum

Noob Riding Advice

Beemer

Just wanted to add that as a noob rider, I really appreciate you members posting vids like this for us. Beemer, I saw your video about the weave you do to deter oncoming left turners from cutting you off. Just wanted to say that I've been doing that since I saw your vid but please give me some feedback weather or not I am overdoing it?? See vid https://youtu.be/nrqBEw_N7ck?t=4m36s Thoughts?  

Sorry I took so long to get back to you on this but how you weave is personal choice. I personally don't go back and forth that much or lean that hard, that fast, I feel it could actually get you into trouble. When I start I just want to lean enough to have my bright beam aimed directly at them for a second and then lean back and straighten the bike up but I only do that when I'm at a good distance so they see me well in advance. You don't want to be into a lean if you suddenly have to apply your brakes hard so I suggest not to do it when you're getting close to them. When I get close I simply slow my speed and move over (if I can) to give myself extra distance between me and them for more reaction time. Slowing your speed when you recognize any potential hazard can either help eliminate an accident or lesson the severity of injuries if you do have one. There's nothing wrong with just slowing down a bit and watching intensely to see if they twitch.

Beemer

dentalprodigy
Just wanted to add that as a noob rider, I really appreciate you members posting vids like this for us. Beemer, I saw your video about the weave you do to deter oncoming left turners from cutting you off. Just wanted to say that I've been doing that since I saw your vid but please give me some feedback weather or not I am overdoing it?? See vid https://youtu.be/nrqBEw_N7ck?t=4m36s Thoughts?  

Sorry I took so long to get back to you on this but how you weave is personal choice. I personally don't go back and forth that much or lean that hard, that fast, I feel it could actually get you into trouble. When I start I just want to lean enough to have my bright beam aimed directly at them for a second and then lean back and straighten the bike up but I only do that when I'm at a good distance so they see me well in advance. You don't want to be into a lean if you suddenly have to apply your brakes hard so I suggest not to do it when you're getting close to them. When I get close I simply slow my speed and move over (if I can) to give myself extra distance between me and them for more reaction time. Slowing your speed when you recognize any potential hazard can either help eliminate an accident or lesson the severity of injuries if you do have one. There's nothing wrong with just slowing down a bit and watching intensely to see if they twitch.
I appreciate the reply back.  I agree with all your points.  It doesn't make sense to be leaning back and forth soo close to a potential left turner.  

• 5 months later...

[div]This video demonstrates why you shouldn't ride beside people. It speaks for itself so all I'll say is whenever possible, either pass vehicles quickly or stay behind them.

[video src=https://youtu.be/GTxOIUtup6w] [/div]

Beemer

• Premium Member

Stuff like that happens to me all the time. I expect it now and put myself in a safe position with an out. Always have an out ......

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

When making a turn look ahead and to the sides to make sure no one is going to ruin your day. Stay frosty!

[video src=https://youtu.be/ulyPYIYqQn0]

Beemer

• Premium Member

Just a few of many uber cautious riding disciplines I try to follow: (I'm most definitely NooB)
-I like to plant myself in a vehicle's mirror or preferably two, eye contact? or are they on their damn phones?
-I'm either ahead or behind, never beside another vehicle.
-I watch for oncoming (lefties etc) car's rubber turning out from the wheel-wells and their every action in cab.
-I never rush past a slowing vehicle or leave myself open to any blindspots for myself and everyone else around me.
-If I am in traffic at speed I wait for a safe avenue to separate myself from the bulk of it.
-Mirror checks every 5-10 seconds and even more so when a coming to a halt or slowing.
-Try to decipher whats going on from your position to as far ahead as possible.
-Any variations in road surfaces and colours, wet patches, pot holes, tar snakes, gravel or sand, diapers etc
-Try to keep my cool and separate myself from confrontation with the endless A-holes.

And Ive also taken up the "@beemer maneuver", simple and effective IMO.

-Basically I never assume my path is safe, ever. Like the classic cave scene in Raiders of the Lost Arc. You rush out all excited and impatient willy nilly and you forget the ol' spikes trap, you drop the idol etc, a real bad day or the end of your days.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Mr.Puss - I have a feeling you're going to have many years of accident free riding and I hope you do. ;)

You probably haven't encountered this where you're at so I'd like to add it to your list. It's steel grating. Every time I see it I cringe inside to think it's going to pull me left and then right. Maybe you've experienced it and it didn't come to mind, just a heads up either way for anyone not aware of it. It's a real treat.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Mr.Puss - I have a feeling you're going to have many years of accident free riding and I hope you do. ;) 
You probably haven't encountered this where you're at so I'd like to add it to your list. It's steel grating. Every time I see it I cringe inside to think it's going to pull me left and then right. Maybe you've experienced it and it didn't come to mind, just a heads up either way for anyone not aware of it. It's a real treat.

Ha yeah thanks,  fingers crossed on accident free, keep learning from any source I can. I think Im more concerned about my pretty bike than myself.  
Theres an old unavoidable bridge here thats a couple hundred metres of steel grating, I know what you mean it feels like riding on a layer of foam, fun stuff. Thankfully the entire span is being replaced. 

Rumour has it Slap Daddy Bone Dog has been banned up here too and has been relegated to parade floats only :D

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Beemer, Slightly off topic but really on topic(ish). Your avatar does not inspire confidence in your advice.....LOL.
" Who shall I get safety advive from?" "I know a seriously mentally deranged criminal with a lousey makeup assistant..." LOL

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I assume everyone on the road is a drooling moron until they prove me right, and then I get the hell away from them. Staying out of blind spots and constant mirror checks have become a big part of the game plan as well. Also, I got nailed with an unexpected gust of wind the other day and almost got blown off the road. That was a weird feeling.

I assume everyone on the road is a drooling moron until they prove me right, and then I get the hell away from them. Staying out of blind spots and constant mirror checks have become a big part of the game plan as well. Also, I got nailed with an unexpected gust of wind the other day and almost got blown off the road. That was a weird feeling.
Good one! That also happened to me on a clover leaf about 80 ft. up once and it about blew me over the side wall. Shivered me timbers! Hate riding on them now. It's almost always breezy around here on the coast, some days worse than others and the other day while cruising at 85 mph. I was getting buf .... errr, blown around quite a bit and there's nothing you can do about it other than react quickly and lean back into it.  

Beemer

Archived