The MT-07 Forum

Has anyone built their own motorcycle stand?

pabogala

So where I work we have all kind of tools to work with metal and I have done some cool projects. I was looking at the most popular lift stand, the pitbull, and I thought it looks pretty easy or simple to make as long as you have measurements. Has anyone done their own stand? 

what do you guys think? looks like 1" rod would work perfect and just weld the wheels.

I've built my own. I used square tubing because for me, it's easier to work with. I can't remember the measurements, but I believe they were 1/8" wall, maybe 1.25". I know I made the spool "arms" out of a smaller piece of square tubing that slid into the larger ones so they were adjustable. I didn't put wheels on mine. They're nice but not "necessary".

If you figure in your time and materials, you honestly probably can't build a stand much cheaper than pitbull sells them. However, if you just enjoy projects and the satisfaction of doing it yourself, I think its worth it. It sounds like in your case, if you can even get the materials for free from your work, you're even more ahead.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

My hubs made a stand that works for both my 07 and his 09. I hope to post something soon on it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I made one out of 1.5" .120 wall dom tubing. I had some pipe the fit inside of it nicely. I used this for all my angled cuts, fit them together and welded it up. Then slid the Dom over this and welded it up. I made mine way too complex.

If your have a good fabricator where you work show them a picture of a pitbul stand and they can give you some pointers. I would copy that if I were to do it over again.

Archived