The MT-07 Forum

American Sport bikes EBR is back in business

username

• Premium Member

Don't know if anyone has been keeping an eye on Eric Buell Racing but they are rolling out some pretty decent looking super sports on the 18th of March. This is the company you once knew as Buell which went under a while ago. There aren't too many American Sport bike providers so I'm hoping these guys can keep their heads above water this time and make some sweet bikes in the future. So far all they have is 2 models which are 1200cc which are pretty admirable. Would anyone buy one of these for their next bike?

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/ebr-has-resumed-production-of-american-sportbikes-in-east-troy-wisconsin/#.VtXkFFh1U8Y.reddit

Having just purchased my FZ07 last fall, I'm not looking at getting another bike any time soon. However, I am glad to see them coming back. It's always good to have competition in our free market place, and an American sport bike manufacturer is nice to have

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I hope they can keep producing bikes for the next 100 years or so.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Global Moderator

While there is a lot that needs to go right for EBR to be back long term I am glad to see them showing bikes. I really like the looks of the EBR, but until they appear viable in the long term I would not buy one. Hopefully someone (I am looking at you Polaris or Bombardier) with resources will buy them. That would be a great outcome.

• Global Moderator
While there is a lot that needs to go right for EBR to be back long term I am glad to see them showing bikes. I really like the looks of the EBR, but until they appear viable in the long term I would not buy one. Hopefully someone (I am looking at you Polaris or Bombardier) with resources will buy them. That would be a great outcome.
Buell should never have gone under to begin with.. the bikes were almost to yamaha levels of reliability
and they looked pretty nice as well
cant wait to see their new models on the road

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Did anyone see anything more on the power plant. My firebolt to be honest is lacking in the HP department but makes up for it with that sound lol.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Global Moderator

The bikes they showed in Chicago were 2014 models with different paint, which makes sense as the current ownership just wants to sell the company. It makes sense to keep producing motorcycles and keep the company viable, but it would be a waste of resources to be designing new bikes in that senerio. Hopefully they will find a buyer. I am cautiously optimistic.

thomascrown

I think they burned their bridges with the first collapse. No dealer is going to stock inventory when the company's future is uncertain, hell, there are still some who haven't sold old stock.

The bike itself was too expensive, and lacked some of the subsystems that frankly are necessary in that price point, like ABS, and the latest motorcycle stability control setups that come from suppliers like Bosch.

As far as I knew they went partners with Indian ( the country not the company) Hero. But I thought that had fallen over as well. The Indian company wanted Buells design skills for their own bikes and were interested in racing. Buells consulting firm may still be in business and the receiver of the manufacturing business was looking for a Motorcycle industry buyer.
I think from a branding point of view the name Beull would be better left out of the bikes trade name. You could always push " designed by Buell", as no-one will have qualms about that concept ( Ok maybe very conservative financiers or motorcycle companies like Moto Guzzi).
Buell was screwed by Harley. Not the first one either ( anyone remember Aermacchi. Now there is a motor to make a cafe racer out of. Pity about the water pipe Harley "inspired" chassis though). He was genuinely inventive in a world of same same in motorcycle. I think that's at least what partially attracts most of the people on this forum to our bike. It has a number of tweeks added together to make, at least, a bit novel ( light for it's capacity, unusual riding position, 90/270deg cranks) that we are prepared to put up with purchasing it as we figure we can fix the drooby bits ( suspension, exhaust, seat etc).
Maybe the Indians will embrace Buells "find a better way" approach rather than destroy it.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator

The Hero deal fell through, that is why they went bankrupt. The company that won EBR at the auction is trying to find a buyer for the company who will keep making motorcycles. In the meantime they are running the company. Hopefully someone will step up and buy EBR. I would hate to see them go away...again.

• Premium Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! GOOD for them!!!

...and, as for the engine, I recall seeing a LOT of engine cases lined up when they shut down... this last time.

• Global Moderator
The Hero deal fell through, that is why they went bankrupt. The company that won EBR at the auction is trying to find a buyer for the company who will keep making motorcycles. In the meantime they are running the company. Hopefully someone will step up and buy EBR. I would hate to see them go away...again.
depends on how much they want...
i could pay...* rifles through pockets* $14.83 and a wad of receipts

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived