The MT-07 Forum

What is this and should I be worried?

xcarbonsteelx

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

Came out to my motorcycle after work and noticed something was leaking. It appears to be coming from these tubes. What are they and should I be concerned?

8fc85ea0bd83b18e42709e3a381ffedf.jpg

- xCarbonSteelx

• Premium Member

Take a lighter and see if it catches on fire if it does then its gas because you over filled your tank;)

Kidding don't take a lighter to it ...
Chain lube will also build up and leak from the front sprocket looks like black tar or oil

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

The tubes are basically gas overflow tubes. If you filled up recently you could have put to much in when you put the bike on the stand the extra gas went above the silver fill port and gets sent down these tubes. Shouldn't have any issues as they are only for gas. They even have colored ones you can buy to match your bike just a random fact.

Now I have noticed a trail of black what appears to be grease right beside the tubes but I'm guessing thays from the dealer over greasing around the sprocket as that stuff isn't runny like oil and is hell to get off your fingers. If any has a clue on that one I'd be appreciative.

• Premium Member
The tubes are basically gas overflow tubes. If you filled up recently you could have put to much in when you put the bike on the stand the extra gas went above the silver fill port and gets sent down these tubes. Shouldn't have any issues as they are only for gas. They even have colored ones you can buy to match your bike just a random fact.  
Now I have noticed a trail of black what appears to be grease right beside the tubes but I'm guessing thays from the dealer over greasing around the sprocket as that stuff isn't runny like oil and is hell to get off your fingers. If any has a clue on that one I'd be appreciative.
just chain lube leaking off the front sprocket it normal just be sure to take that cover off and clean it when you clean the chain  

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

Thank you for the quick replies. I think I may have over filled it yesterday afternoon after our ride. I touched the liquid and smelt it but it did not smell of gas. Didn't really have a smell.

- xCarbonSteelx

just chain lube leaking off the front sprocket it normal just be sure to take that cover off and clean it when you clean the chain

Thanks! I never noticed it till today got some on my hands to see if it was oil and 45 minutes later I finally got it off mototul lube is no joke!

• Premium Member
Thanks! I never noticed it till today got some on my hands to see if it was oil and 45 minutes later I finally got it off mototul lube is no joke!
FYI If you haven't yet taken that cover off for the sprocket there will be a plastic piece that come out  in front of the gear ,you need to get all the gunk off that and make sure you put the cover back on right so all the hoses are in the grove in the cover other wise it might get in the gear. I've notice loss in performance because mine was so dirty lol I clean it all the time now. Lessons learned  

FYI If you haven't yet taken that cover off for the sprocket there will be a plastic piece that come out  in front of the gear ,you need to get all the gunk off that and make sure you put the cover back on right so all the hoses are in the grove in the cover other wise it might get in the gear. I've notice loss in performance because mine was so dirty lol I clean it all the time now. Lessons learned

I've never heard of doing this maintenance, but I suspect I need to do this. I'm noticing the same buildup and a decrease in mpg.

Could you share a pic or video or writeup of removing the cover and hose alignment?

• Premium Member
I've never heard of doing this maintenance, but I suspect I need to do this. I'm noticing the same buildup and a decrease in mpg.

Could you share a pic or video or writeup of removing the cover and hose alignment?

My man! Thanks!

Edit:
Maybe it's just psychological, but my bike seems to ride and shift much smoother. Definitely gonna clean that area regularly. Thanks again!

Fuel tank venting from expansion, not to worry unless you have a Calif. model with charcoal canister in which case if you park in the sun on a hot day you can vent raw fuel into the canister possibly resulting in a flooded condition causing hard starting, at least it appears that was or is an issue on some fz-09's. I'm not advocating you remove your c. canister but to be aware of this possibility of hard starting and you thinking maybe something is drastically wrong with your machine...Mark

Archived