The MT-07 Forum

Respect your fz-07!!!

polandbear

Hi there new rider from NC. My first bike ever. Holy smoke. Went for a joy ride with my buddy (gsxr1000). It's my 3rd day riding my brand new red toy. I guess got little too excited with the throttle and out of nowhere I'm riding on one wheel. Almost crapped my pants. So all new riders please be careful and take it easy. Fortunately I managed to not to hit anyone and kept the control of the bike but it got scary really quick. Never again!!!!!

Hi there new rider from NC. My first bike ever. Holy smoke. Went for a joy ride with my buddy (gsxr1000). It's my 3rd day riding my brand new red toy. I guess got little too excited with the throttle and out of nowhere I'm riding on one wheel. Almost crapped my pants. So all new riders please be careful and take it easy. Fortunately I managed to not to hit anyone and kept the control of the bike but it got scary really quick. Never again!!!!!

Ha-ha. Same happened to me except it was my third bike. Ninja 250->sv650->FZ07. Wasn't prepared for the torque. Had my girlfriend on back and I lean back at a stop sign "check out how much faster this bike accelerates compared to the SV." Front wheel waaay up and can't believe we didn't end up no the ground. I learned my lesson that day.

My FZ07 is my third bike and I did a very good job of behaving myself and keeping both wheels on the ground through the break in period. Then I found myself in an empty parking lot and decided "What the heck, lets just pop the front wheel a few inches off the ground and see how it feels". Well instead of a few inches, it came up about 2 feet and startled the crap out of me. I think I'll keep the wheelies to the dirt bike where I won't get ticketed and won't care if I drop it, but it's tempting knowing what a wheelie machine this thing is.

Guest 2wheeler

I accidentally discovered how to do a controllable baby wheelie on my FZ yesterday. Basically take it to about 4K RPM in 2nd gear, back off completely and crack the throttle about half way. Not sure how far it came up, but seemed like 6"-12". Was repeatable and didn't go any higher. I'm sure it looks sorta cool, but I'm also fairly sure that if it was a full throttle crack, things would have been quite different. Eventually I plan to get the R6 throttle tube, and I'm probably going to have to be far more careful!

All one had to do is take a look at this video, and you will likely not do anything stupid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4QtubZoZQM

• Premium Member

I'm laughing at the guy that decides to pick up the bike before even checking to see if his buddy is ok.

• Premium Member
panchobullet

Welcome and glad u are being careful. I'd just "suggest" to avoid doing wheelie in 1st gear as likely will end like the guy in the white bike. Try it out in 2nd or 3rd to be a little more "safe" but be really REALLY careful! Once you get a wheelie going the adrenaline raises and that's when "danger" kicks in as you gain "confident" and start pulling harder and harder... so be wise and do not exceed your skills! Little by little you will master it but if you try to master it in a day then be ready to kiss the floor :)

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

@2wheeler - I also found this video recently Skip to about 2:30

The tank slapper got him. 

• Premium Member
Bet he doesn't ride in shorts and a T-shirt anymore!
Gee, good thing he had gloves on. SMH  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Bet he doesn't ride in shorts and a T-shirt anymore!
Gee, good thing he had gloves on. SMH
Please don't flame me too hard! :) I ride all year and, in the summer, I just can't ride in 95 degree sun in all the gear. I do sooooometimes, rarely, but yes, sometimes ride in just a tank top and jeans. BUT I ALWAYS wear my gloves, my hands are too pretty to risk messing up ;) I'm kidding, about the pretty part. I do always wear my gloves no matter what, but that's because of the muscle memory, dexterity level, and sensitivity I'm used to with my summer gloves. Without them, I have a much more difficult time working the controls than I normally do with them on.  

Archived