The MT-07 Forum

Laid the bike down today :(

phif

Was going to make a right turn with a yield sign. There was a van in front of me who also was going to make the right turn. He went and I followed and looked over my left shoulder to make sure no one was turning left that we were going to need to yield to. Not really sure how to clearly explain the next part, but here it goes. The stoplight that we were going underneath or that would've applied to opposing traffic was back so far that the van thought it applied to him. So he stopped and as I turned my head back forward he was only a few feet from me. I locked my rear brake and I ended up hitting the left part of the rear bumper. Ended up being a low speed collision and all I have is a minor brush burn on my leg. I need a new headlight and the surrounding left and front fairings and the triple clamp got bent where the ignition is. Also, I have OES frame sliders and they saved the whole right side of the bike from getting beat up. I highly recommend them. 

If anyone knows where I can get a new triple clamp that would be awesome, I cant seem to find one online. Ive found all the other stuff I need. 

In short, Im really fortunate that only a few things broke and I barely got hurt. 

I know exactly what you mean, I have one of those right turn yield with traffic light for the non-turning, straight traffic. Sucks. Have lots of bad drivers who stop there even when there is absolutely no need to.

Sorry buddy, good to hear you didn't get hurt too bad.

I notice a sure way that people get into small fender benders are those drivers who inch forward by releasing their brake and then immediately stop again. They are doing a disservice to themselves with that kind of move. My wife did this too, I scolded her and told her only get off the brakes when you are going to fully move and go. Otherwise keep her foot on the brakes while letting the car go slowly forward so the brake light will still be on as she slowly moves forward if she has to inch upward to let the person behind her know she isn't going forward.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the bike, but at least you're in good health and it's not keeping you down. I'll keep an eye out for triple clamps

pineappleunderthesea

I've almost been caught doing something similar while doing a head check, but it was a merge on a somewhat busy freeway, car in front of me was accelerating one second, then the next second he was slamming his brakes while I was doing my head check--this is a common Pittsburgh thing where locals almost come to full stop at yield signs since they don't seem to trust their merging skills. I managed to swerve around him but it was a close one. I almost wish all motorcycles came with blind spot mirrors so that head checks could be minimized in traffic.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Sorry about your incident. You should be able to get everything you need from a major parts supplier like Partzilla.com

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Sorry about your ride. Here are some online parts stores:
www.yamahapartshouse.com
www.partsfish.com

Archived