The MT-07 Forum

DIY CRG Bar End Mirror adapters using OEM bar ends.

SkH

Disclaimer:  This was done many moons ago via forum members here.  Credit goes to @greenhound386 and a further assist by @oscardms for originally doing this technique.

Disclaimer 2:  No clue if a topic like this has already been made, my quick search says it hasn't but if it has, kindly post a reply and I will have this topic deleted.

Disclaimer 3:  Do this at your own risk. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS NEEDED-

- 1/2" diameter copper sweat coupling
You can find these at hardware stores and maybe on amazon.  They will be a little over an inch long.

- Pipe cutter
You can get these for around 9-19 dollars depending.

Cut the coupling in half directly in the middle.  Now you will have 2 pieces that are over half-inch long. One for each bar end. Note, copper is very soft.  The cylinder might warp in the process, you have to somehow reshape it into a proper circular cylinder.  What I did is slip it over the OEM bar end threading and "screw" it in and out over and over until the material became a proper cylinder again.  Use leather gloves if you do this, you will have bits of copper flakes and shards coming off.

Slip it complete over the threading until it stops at the end.

Attach mirror and screw bar end back in.  You probably should use loctite on the bar end threading since the threading surface area has been greatly reduced.  *Safety note:  Be sure there is enough gap space between mirror mount ring and throttle tube on the throttle side.  And periodically check the mirrors to be sure they are mounted tight to prevent any rubbing against the throttle tube.

Pictures below:  Note picture shows that I have already cut the coupling in half.

Final note, this only works on CRG brand mirrors, and perhaps various CRG knock-off brands.  It will not work on Rizoma style and rizoma knock off mirrors.

img_0110.jpg

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

I did other thing, not with crg mirrors but with similar.
The mirrors normally comes with bar ends, but they fit with pressure, not like original bar ends of yamaha.
So i did a thread for screw m5 in the allen hole of original bar end to can fit the part of the bar end that comes with mirros. With these method you fit the original bar end with the bar end for fix the mirrors. Also you can do a plane surface to fit better, because the original bar end has a curve in this surface.
Sorry for my english, Im not sure that i xplain well but I tried it.

booboobusfz07

I did this w a 5/8x7/8x1 steel spacer I got at ace. Same process and it works fantastic. Super easy and more secure than any of the adapters you can get that don't thread on the bars. Cost me like3-4$.

• 5 months later...
Guest ChicagoAJ
I did this w a 5/8x7/8x1 steel spacer I got at ace. Same process and it works fantastic. Super easy and more secure than any of the adapters you can get that don't thread on the bars. Cost me like3-4$.
What bar end mirror did you get? I'm going to go this route with hopefully a CRG Blindsight running on the left side only. I have so much RevZilla cash I can get it basically for free. Picking up a spacer and getting the mirror for almost nothing will be nice. 

booboobusfz07

Speed metal folding from cyclegear. They're ok. Saving up for some crgs. Hard to beat the warranty at cycle gear and only 50-60$ for the set tho.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Speed metal folding from cyclegear. They're ok. Saving up for some crgs. Hard to beat the warranty at cycle gear and only 50-60$ for the set tho.
But no issues with using the spacer and stock bar end? I just hope the CRG fits. Did you cut the spacer you got at Ace in half?

booboobusfz07

Yeah. So I cut the 1in into 2 1/2x5/8x7/8 pieces.
Ran 6months zero issues. Using renthals now so don't need em. But there should be plenty of room for the crgs

Guest ChicagoAJ
Yeah. So I cut the 1in into 2 1/2x5/8x7/8 pieces. Ran 6months zero issues. Using renthals now so don't need em. But there should be plenty of room for the crgs
Awesome, I'll make sure to post back here for fitment when I get the CRG Blindsight and this all rigged up. Thanks for the info!

Guest ChicagoAJ

Following this DIY was very easy. The 1/2 inch sweat coupling was $1.47 at Ace Hardware. I already had a conduit/water pipe cutter so all I had to do was cut it in half. I was left with the same picture result as the original post, only 4 or so threads showing. This is way larger than necessary to mount a CRG mirror to the stock bar end, you can easily leave 6-7 threads giving the mirror a more flush fit between the grip and bar end (you'll have to make the throttle tube side a little bigger so it doesn't stick). You can almost cut the 1/2 coupling in to 1/3's. As long as the portion of copper coupling is exactly the same width as the clamp on the CRG mirror you'll have plenty of space to mount the mirror as the bar ends don't touch the grips anyway.

I went with a silver CRG Blindsight - I think it was 44.95 on RevZilla but I had to much Zilla cash it was almost free. Didn't do black because I hear they turn brown after a while.

Here's my result:

fa9z7k.jpg

2hrjslh.jpg

• 2 years later...

Thanks for this. Just installed. A couple of tips.

1) If you don't want to buy a pipe cutter, simply ask the cutting department to cut it for you. Took 5 mins.

2) I was unable to simply twist the coupler post cut onto the handle bar end. The cutting process had left some excess material on the inside of the cut surface. Used a deburing tool to clean it off, then it went on easily. The cutting dept might have a deburing tool you could use otherwise they are like $3

It's installed now. You'll hear back from me if it falls off :)

Archived