The MT-07 Forum

Advice and Skills you wish you had earlier

i28

• Premium Member

What's some advice you wish someone gave you when you were a beginner rider or a specific skill that you wish you had practiced and learned earlier on?

1. When following a vehicle always ride to the side of vehicle so you can see what's on the road/what's going on, in front of them.
2. Avoid the center of your lane when coming to a stop.
2. Don't lean too much in corners at intersections. Pay real close attention to road surfaces. E.G. A fine film of dirt can hide oil.
3. Always put your kick-stand down BEFORE getting off the bike.
4. If when trying to eliminate an irritation becomes distracting pull over and take care of it.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Always look where you want to go! And smooth is the key. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Smooth with the throttle.

• Premium Member

Knowledge is your best skill. I watched all the videos on the tube that I could find before I bought my bike understanding how a bike works is vital to your survival and it amazes me that most of the people that I know that have bikes didn't know what counter steer was.
Take the safety course
Read books
practice in a safe area before you go into traffic
Practice your skills each time you go out, better skills equates to safer rider.
Have fun don't be cockey .... ( I have a hard time with this one lol)

I think Twist of the Wrist is a must for any rider there are a few others

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

1) Throttle Control is key to being a good rider....in many ways.
2) Lee Parks Total Control should be read regularly.
3) It's much easier to form bad habits than to break them.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

You know its funny. I read about target fixation and learned about it long before riding a motorcycle and I thought wtf? Is that even humanly possible? But of course, the very first week (maybe like day 2) of owning my FZ07, I actually did it and it freaked the hell out of me. There is this downhill steep curve that I was taking, I know the road, but very first time taking it on a motorcycle. I can't brake on the curve, and its downhill so I was hesitant. But as I enter the curve, I'm thinking, why am I going straight? There is a wood fence in the distance and I was just staring at this fence. I thought holy **** I'm riding right into the fence, and immediately turned my head. I finally started to turn and I was in the dirt shoulder, but I didn't crash, and corrected and got on the road.

It all happened extremely quick, and the time I thought to myself "why am I not turning?" probably was less than a second but damn.

Its a shame I didn't buy my camera until a few weeks later but that would've been a keeper.

Anyway, that and from watching my wife ride, don't overreact on a motorcycle. You want to overreact while riding a car, that's fine. But not on a motorcycle, baby!

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

I'll add the most important thing iv'e learned is if u have a need for speed and wild riding, get a dirtbike. Ride safe and smooth on the road and save the speed and wild times for dirt riding or you will die or lose your license trying to get wild on a street bike. You can ride fast off-road, do jumps and ride wheelies all day long on a dirtbike and nobody cares and there are no cops off-road.

Street riding is fun but must be done with extreme awareness and with safety at all times.

Don't think with your d... oh, you meant riding advice. Never mind :)
lol! You didn't at one time have one of those 'unplanned', Bob Ross, "Happy Accidents", did you? 

Beemer

pineappleunderthesea

Apart from the Basic Rider Course, I wish I would have taken a more advanced course that focused a bit more on cornering. Reading various books help, but when it's just you on the road it's hard to practice properly.

• Premium Member
Don't think with your d... oh, you meant riding advice. Never mind :)
lol! You didn't at one time have one of those 'unplanned', Bob Ross, "Happy Accidents", did you? 
He's 21 now, and I paid for it with 17 years of marriage :)

He's 21 now, and I paid for it with 17 years of marriage :)
Aaah, the University of Hard Knox. You're a survivor, you've made it, congrats!

Beemer

Archived