The MT-07 Forum

2016 OEM panels on a 2015 FZ

scottygat

• Premium Member

Ok people.. I am about to pull the trigger and get a set of 2016 black fuel tank and fender panels for my white 2015 FZ.

Does anyone know if it will work?

customer service guy said that they don't show up as compatible in the system, but that he thinks it may only be because the 2015 doesn't have the black color scheme.

I've got all the parts in the cart. Any thoughts/suggestions?

• Premium Member

I believe they will work unless some freak accident of a reason Yamaha decides to change the " snap tab" locations where the plastic snaps together...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Check out www.carbonfbr.com

Another way to " black out the bike"

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

I've stared at the specs for both and have found no discernible differences. I feel like the two bikes are probably the same size. But I don't know. maybe I'll bite the bullet and be first to find out.

I have a Black 2016, What do you need to know? If you are anywhere near western NY stop by and we can try the panels on. Considering the cost of molds and tooling I doubt there is any difference other than color.
I have already purchased an extra set of gloss black rear plastic from Ron Ayers, they seemed to be the least expensive and the service was excellent. I'm going to cut the panels for my rear rack and keep the originals for the future.
If you decide to sell the white pieces, please let me know, I really like the white bikes. :)

• Premium Member
Think color and updated ecu is about the only difference. Hard to correct perfection.
Updated ECU?   What did they change? 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator
Think color and updated ecu is about the only difference. Hard to correct perfection.

I had not heard about an ECU update for 2016. Where did you get that info?

its new, so new way advanced behind way before our time! 

• Premium Member
its new, so new way advanced behind way before our time!
sounds suspicious... :| 

Why can't left turners see us?

They are exactly the same panels. I have 2016 panels on my 15
Thank You, Now I can pursue any of the colored panels without any worry about fitment. 8-)    

Ok people.. I am about to pull the trigger and get a set of 2016 black fuel tank and fender panels for my white 2015 FZ.  
Does anyone know if it will work?

customer service guy said that they don't show up as compatible in the system, but that he thinks it may only be because the 2015 doesn't have the black color scheme.

I've got all the parts in the cart. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Where are people purchasing these parts from? 

What is the approximate cost to swap out panels? I think it would be cool to have multiple sets and be able to swap colors when wanting a change. I would love to have the grey with my black wheels.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
What is the approximate cost to swap out panels? I think it would be cool to have multiple sets and be able to swap colors when wanting a change. I would love to have the grey with my black wheels.
I changed mine last year (March 2015) for $150 (includes shipping). You need the left and right tank panels and the panel piece in the center with the color code you want. There are also 2 foam damper plates glued on the inside of each of the tank panels on your bike. You can carefully remove these foam damper parts and glue them on your new panels or just order these damper parts when you order your new panels. I believe these foam dampers are installed to prevent rattling and cushion the tank panel parts.  
Here are some places that people have ordered parts from online, just compare prices with shipping to find the best price:
www.yamahapartshouse.com
www.partsfish.com
www.partspak.com

Archived