The MT-07 Forum

Looking to purchase bike, quick question!

crtking

Hey guys! I went to the dealership the other day and I fell in love with this bike. I started doing some research when I got home and it sounds like the only issue is the suspension, especially in the twisties. I think it was over on reddit where one user said "...it just isn't a confident bike in the turns" which scares me a little. Is it really as bad as the reviewers are making it out to be? 

• Global Moderator

No. It's fine (for a budget bike). But there is room for improvement. it really depends where you are coming from. First time or seasoned rider, are you upgrading from an older motorcycle, stuff like that. If your previous bike was a 2015 R1, you will be disappointed, if your tradimg in your 1935 Sarolea UD, you will be amazed.  :P

It isn't nearly as bad as the armchair track warriors make it out to be. It could definitely be better. The brake dive is annoying, and when running it hard it will usually let you know that you are being a little too aggressive. However, you can ride around these things for the interim, while you save to put some proper suspension onto the bike.

For reference, I am a fairly new rider. I owned a GS500e and an R6 before this bike. It is miles ahead of the GS500, but quite a ways behind the R6 in terms of how well the suspension is set up. I fully intend on putting a better rear shock onto the bike, and probably bugging Matt on here for some cartridge inserts for the front.

It's a great bike in the twisties and can be even greater with suspension upgrades. Whoever wrote its not confident in the turns is trying to ride beyond his ability.

• Premium Member

No two riders ride a bike the same way, so don't take 1 persons " negative" without comparing that to the broader fz-07 community opinions....other than that this bike is darn near perfection if it wasn't for some cost savings (  -_- ) in the suspension dept...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Thanks for all the replies! Yes this will be my first bike which is why I'm hesitant with buying a new bike. I'm going to go look at a sv650 this weekend and will hopefully be able to decide after that. 

pineappleunderthesea

Frankly if this is your first bike I doubt the suspension will be an issue for a while, if ever. I came from a Honda Shadow cruiser that has a soft suspension, so the FZ is worlds more responsive than the Shadow, and for the kind of riding that I do I don't have a problem with the suspension--I do cummuter riding weekdays with some more spirited riding on weekends, and the bike is tuned nicely for that and it's a lot of fun in the twisties for the speeds I ride. Now keep in mind I don't track the bike, nor am I at the ability level to shred around corners with a knee on the pavement while leaning the thing at 90 degree angles! If your end goal is to be more aggressive than "spirited", then eventually upgrading the suspension might help.

Thanks for all the replies! Yes this will be my first bike which is why I'm hesitant with buying a new bike. I'm going to go look at a sv650 this weekend and will hopefully be able to decide after that. 
Just a little advice from fairly new guy to new guy. Don't spend the money on a brand new bike at first. Honestly buy yourself a GS500e. They were made between 1989-2004. There are millions of them around, and where I live you can buy one for 1500. It has been dropped, thrashed, and taught 4 people how to ride. Beat the hell out of it for a season, learn your limits, and drop it a few times. Then sell it for the same price you bought it for.

That way you will have the money to buy a nicer jacket, decent boots, etc. It also helps, because if it turns out that you absolutely hate (Which I doubt) riding, you wont lose any real money.

I agree with Ravenlord. Another option is getting a dual sport. My first bike was a KLR650 and I still have it, ride it, and love it. Not as much fun as the FZ of course. Dual sport insurance is crazy cheap and they are fun to beat the crap out of. Plus when you are Ready for a bigger bike you just might want to keep it. The SV is a great bike too. FYI the suspension doesn't suck at all. I think the bike feels quite nimble and capable.

Here you go, read this expert review of the sweet, FZ07. I think you'll find it comforting. If you buy one def. put up some pics! As mentioned, a dual sport is great for learning, especially in the dirt where if you go down the dirt is softer than pavement and no cagers facking up your day. It's also lighter, nimbler, easier to handle starting out so confidence should be higher.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/06/27/2015-yamaha-fz-07-first-ride-review-naked-sportbike-photos-specifications/

Beemer

• Premium Member

This like many here was my first bike. I did drop it going 10 mph or less but had frame sliders and it saved the bike.
So my advice is take a safety course get all the protection and gear you can afford.

Read some books
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1620081199?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CEN2US?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

Watch this 10 to 100 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZwyOCdUup8

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I think the type of bike and posture may also contribute to some people's feelings of no confidence. If they come from sport bikes, then they jump on the fz07, there is a very, very different feeling when you are on the twisties.

Look I've only been riding for 2 years, I am in no way experienced enough to talk about suspension but when I jump on my R3 (and this bike obviously has a budget suspension as well), I have zero qualms about taking a curve fast. It just feels so GOOD. But on my Fz07, I still have some caution in doing so.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

The FZ has things that make it a wonderful spirited bike for a beginner and things that don't. Like most bikes. I personally don't think it makes a good beginner bike for the following reasons.
The throttle is jerky and inconsistent . add to that the rear weight bias and soft suspension and it will wheelie when you don't want it to or at least lighten the front in corners and produce unsure feeling. Something you don't want in a beginner bike. A HUGE caveat to that, is if it is a first ROAD bike, and you have been a dirt rider. The bike responds very well to being ridden pushed forward on the bike and dirt type application of throttle. It helps negate the problems except the undersprung front end. The forward footpegs help.
However, in it's defence. If you get one with ABS and If you want a first bike that you can play with mechanically this is a good one. Lots of stuff available. Good modding advice available both on this forum and others. It is very light for a mid range bike. It gets good fuel economy although has a ridiculously small fuel tank. You need to be prepared to fix the suspension ( front then rear) and throttle response ( fuelling , either ECU reflash or PCV) as these are areas that will catch a beginner out on this bike.
I am a big supporter of a small mid bike as a first bike and add to that, buying a second hand bike in the 250-350 cc range to learn to ride. You can push harder and not kill yourself. And learn to carry speed. Plenty of good ones nowdays. Good tyres and good suspension and brakes are more important and you will carry that with you into the bigger bikes if you go bigger later on. Also hurts less to crash a cheaper second hand bike ( emotionally. The ground retains it consistant hardness and harshness regardless of cc's)
My 2 cents worth.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I have a 2009 R6 street bike and a 2008 R6 track bike, along with my FZ07. I don't feel inadequate at all when commuting back and forth on my FZ07. In more ways than one, the FZ is more fun to ride on the street than the R6.

Well I was going to reply, but I like Greg's reply and don't have too much to add to that.

I will say the suspension is what I would call capable, but far from great. It's just not a sport bike and you can't go into it as if it is or you'll be upset. It can, however, be modded quite nicely and be turned into a sport bike, if that's what you want.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Archived