The MT-07 Forum

Question about first service

manny826

What do you guys think, should I take it to the dealer for its first service and pay crazy amount of money for their labor or should I just do the first oil change my self. I read the manual about the things that need to be done at first service but I keep reading mixed things about whether it's really necessarily or not.
Just looking for you guys opinion and what you guys did.

I took it in just because it was the first, plenty of others here have done it them selves. Guess it matters if u wanna save money and do it urself versus meh take my money and do it while i chill and play 3ds.

• Premium Member

Two main thing change oil/filter and adjust chain if needed which I think if you own a motorcycle you should be able to do.

So dealers say they check bolts and sync the Throttle bodies but I took mine in for the first time after 12000 miles to have them change the tire and look it over check the TB no issues TB were perfect.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

As stated above, the oil change and chain tightening is probably the most important part as long as your bike is running well. I did my first service myself, including throttle body sync. It has been posted elsewhere, and everyone has different opinions about the throttle body sync, but after doing mine, I believe they would have to be far enough out of sync that you would notice a significantly poor running bike for them to need to be adjusted. If you aren't doing the service yourself and your bike seems to be running ok, I would not pay for the throttle body synch.

• Global Moderator

If you do not want to do it yourself find a good local independent shop to do it. It will be cheaper and better. If you are comfortable doing it yourself then go for it.

I did my own throttle body sync and though they were only very slightly out it did
make a difference to the smoothness of the engine, the manual calls for them to
be done at every service but I wont bother if it feels ok.

Oil change is easy. If you have the tools & garage space then do it yourself. Save the receipts & note when you did the service if you're worried about warranty coverage.

My bike hasn't seen a dealership since 0 miles and I intend to keep it that way.

All the dealer will do is change the oil, over tighten the chain, check fluid levels, and *maybe* go around and check a few bolts. It's an easy couple hundred bucks.
With that said, many people are not comfortable wrenching and really have no clue, so they may be better off going with dealer servicing.

The biggest newbie mistake is over torquing the oil drain plug wiping out the threads in the pan.

ratherbebiking

If you have any mechanical skills do it yourself. Just keep receipts. I paid for the first service almost a year ago and still feel like I was ripped.

I did the first service myself. Mostly an oil change and filter. The chain was fine. The bike was running well so I figured it wouldn't need a tb sync.

Thank to all that answered me. Sorry I didn't reply sooner I just started using tapatalk and had my notifications off.

Everything was operating just fine on mine so I went to my Yamaha dealership and bought a gallon of Yamalube for $18 and an oil filter (whatever that cost, don't remember) and changed the oil myself, saved a lot of money. It's 6400 miles later and everything is still operating just fine. I'm also running with Motul synthetic now and she shifts smoothly.

Beemer

Archived