The MT-07 Forum

A little more power

cdean911

Let's try this again I have my new fz07!that I love is plenty fun but would like to get a little more power and speed out of since it only tops out at 120, any suggestions

• Premium Member

Exhaust, fuel controller, ECU flash, custom air box, lose weight, etc. Poke around on the forum, lots of useful info.

• Global Moderator

Fairings. Naked bikes are only going to go so fast because of all the drag. There are a couple of options for fairings that will decrease drag and therefor increase top speed. AP MotoArts makes one. Check out the latest Sport Rider magazine for a great article on their FZ-07R.

Fairings. Naked bikes are only going to go so fast because of all the drag. There are a couple of options for fairings that will decrease drag and therefor increase top speed. AP MotoArts makes one. Check out the latest Sport Rider magazine for a great article on their FZ-07R.

Do you know a link to go to I looked up ap motoarts but could find fairings

I've heard that bigger pistons, supercharging, turbo charging and NO2 and rockets are excellent upgrades to achieve top speed. I'm not so sure the rocket idea is good for the street, though. I would have to research that one.  ;)  Good luck!

Beemer

Maybe you could get another 5-10 mph out of this bike by various means. The problem is, you will likely never, ever get your money back out of it. My experience with modding bikes has led me to view these as 'sunk costs' in the bike. If/when you sell it, you are VERY unlikely to get much of it back. So ask yourself, "Am I willing to pay XXXX dollars to go 130 mph?"

If you wanna go faster than 120, my advice is to get another bike. I don't think that the FZ-07 will ever be a great bike over 120 for many reasons. MJH is correct: lack of fairings is problem [HASH]1.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

I'd set it up for stunting and drag myself. OK... That's it from the peanut gallery. I'll stop. ☺ but for reals, if you're unhappy with the bike, sell it and get something that suits you. You're not going to really get the power you might be looking for out of this thing. So give it some thought before dumping a lot of money into it.

Motorboat McGoat
I've heard that bigger pistons, supercharging, turbo charging and NO2 and rockets are excellent upgrades to achieve top speed. I'm not so sure the rocket idea is good for the street, though. I would have to research that one.  ;)  Good luck!
Pls do the rockets.  I want to see a rocket powered FZ.  (rofl)

Motorboat McGoat
Let's try this again I have my new fz07!that I love is plenty fun but would like to get a little more power and speed out of since it only tops out at 120, any suggestions
A full exhaust + PCV, EJK, ECU Flash, etc., gives a good power boost and a small windscreen/lower bars help with aerodynamics; depending on your size, you'll be able to hit over 130 if that's really what you wanna do.   
I second looking at hordpower in the supporting vendor section.  Once they have that new airbox ready that will help with top end. (if I'm not mistaken)

It's called twofootitis in the boating world. You might as well trade up to something 100 plus horsepower. Nice if you live in an area where you can speed, wheelie, and do crazy shat without going to jail.

This bike has a vague front end that seems to defy attempts to properly fix it. Ultra high speed is not going to pleasant on an ordinary road. Even on a track I would be worried about the front going on vacation.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Areo man you need areo for high speeds.

The fz07 is a fun torquey bastard but it will probably never be as well suited for top end speed as a 4 cylinder bike. The 4 cylinder motor is better balanced and smoother. The pistons are smaller therefore less rotating mass which let it turn higher rpms. If you want to go 140 go buy a liter bike.

Even naked 1000s will do 145. While a full faring ducati 749 will do 150. Just to put perspective into what areo will do for you.

Areo man you need areo for high speeds.  
The fz07 is a fun torquey bastard but it will probably never be as well suited for top end speed as a 4 cylinder bike. The 4 cylinder motor is better balanced and smoother. The pistons are smaller therefore less rotating mass which let it turn higher rpms. If you want to go 140 go buy a liter bike.

Even naked 1000s will do 145. While a full faring ducati 749 will do 150. Just to put perspective into what areo will do for you.

Agreed. I hit 134 on the speedo but this required full throttle on a verrrrrry long straight country road with no curves and no traffic. The bike was working HARD! There's something that doesn't feel right about pushing a street bike to work at 100% for that long. If I was going to ride over 110 often, I'd get a bike that was working at only 70 to 80% of its maximum effort at that speed.

Have a look at the power curve. The FZ/MT hits the power peak way before peak rpm. You will always be struggling to get super high speed from it without ignition, camming and port mods. It ain't designed for it.
Add to that it has the aero of a brick with a parachute and you will be up against a brick wall ( of air) trying to go really fast.

Have a look at the power curve. The FZ/MT hits the power peak way before peak rpm. You will always be struggling to get super high speed from it without ignition, camming and port mods. It ain't designed for it. Add to that it has the aero of a brick with a parachute and you will be up against a brick wall ( of air) trying to go really fast.

Nail on the head, twice! I had a 72 Datsun 510 for over a decade. They nicknamed it the flying brick because it's shape was like trying to race a brick down the raceway. Aero is seemingly more important than power at speeds above 100. Actually if you look at the 50cc bikes, areo is EVERYTHING. 
Also, your comment on the power curve. Taking the FZ to 110, maybe even is 115, is pretty fun. Over 115, the acceleration (power curve) is kinda boring. It takes so long to get from 120 to 135 that you have time to take a few deep breaths, let the adrenaline subside, kick back on the passenger pillion with a cold one and a pickle-pastrami-cheese sandwich, and take in the scenery.

Edit: Areo is the new Oreo with extra fluff. Delicious.

Datsun 510 ( here known as the Datsun 1600). I had 3 of them. Don't underestimate their aerodynamics. Body was designed in Italy in a wind tunnel ( I think by Bertone). At the time by far one of the best prod bodies for aero. Big limit was the amount of HP you could get out of the incredible but seemingly ordinary motor. Only asymetric cam timing in a prod car as well ( well the others with the 3rd order lever cam followers in the Datsun range such as the great 240Z) so they had a broad power range.
Motorcyclists whinged for years that they needed fairings on road bikes and as soon as we got them, they started wanting bikes WITHOUT fairings . I suspect that was a marketing ploy where the advertising worked. Costs way less development to make a bike without a fairing.

Archived