The MT-07 Forum

Anyone interested in Hard Luggage besides me?

motocr

I am trying to arrange a touring trip from Georgia along the coast up through Washington and then back through the mid US and have been debating on luggage options. I have a kreiga 30L tail bag and it can hold a decent amount however fitting a helmet is a bit of a pain as its the full bag's capacity besides a items of cloths or such small items. So I started looking at options and I could go with two 20L kreiga bags to attach to the 30L and it could hold my tent, clothes, tools, and others however I was curious about some of the hard pannier options as they just seem like they might be easier to deal with packing wise and going places as they lock. The best I have found, besides givi which honestly just doesn't do it for me it looks like those soccer mom van roof storage things and less like something than can take a fall, is hepco and becker xplorer panniers, and the sw motech trax adventure cases.  Hepco and Becker have a mounting system for the FZ07 which seems to be easily removable for riding around after the trip in normal riding conditions as well as being compatible with a decent amount of other bags, including the sw motech trax (with an adapter plate). 

I was also curious what everyone's opinion on soft bags vs hard bags were and why?

I have a hard time justifying the cost of 1200 - 1600 dollars for the hard cases but I can definitely see where there can be some advantages to them but I was hoping some of you might be able to give me better insight to the options and what your thoughts are these options for our bikes. 

Link to Hepco and Becker Frame- http://www.motomachines.com/Hepco-Becker-Lock-It-Side-Carrier--Yamaha-FZ07_p_4985.html

I have been through this with the FZ6R... get the hardcase. 1. They lock 2. Your stuff stay dry

I tried to go the cheap route too and end up spending more and buy 2 sets of bags... go big early! lol

• Premium Member

I have been looking into luggage as well. Keep in mind if you have a tail tidy installed, certain luggage racks will no longer fit so be sure to check with the manufacturer.

Fabrics obviously have their drawbacks. Last thing I would want is to be on a road trip and have something begin to fray or a zipper blow out, which seems to be the common complaints.

When I get luggage I think I'll save up for hard cases. But like you say a much bigger price tag but more secure and durable. Id rather buy the good stuff once than the cheaper stuff more than once.

In my experience the quality of the various kinds of Italian gear has always proven to be top notch. Personally I would go with Givi; folks seem to speak very positively about them. Also looking at the Shad line.

Keep us posted on what you decide to get!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

I had considered the Shad line of hard bags, i believe they were the 36 series

If top boxes are an option, I recently made a rack for about $70 in parts. Made from UV-resistant polymer board, a damaged rear seat and machine knobs to secure the case. I plan mounting a large pelican/condition one case for road trips once the weather improves. 
ysqb75T.jpg

twowheeladdict

I will move my V3 Givi bags and Givi 47L trunk to the FZ for trips as soon as I sell the accessories off my previous bike so I can buy the mounts.

They will only be one there for trips. It will look some thing like this.
412112304.jpg

2015 FZ-07

• 3 months later...
captainfz07
I am a bit of a givi fan. check these: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-plx2118-v35-sidecase-racks-yamaha-fz-07-2015. You have to buy the rackmounts separate from the cases. Sometimes you can get good deals from shops for the whole lot together ( cases and racks)

Do the givi require drilling into the frame i think the hepco do, not sure about the hepco c bracket, but i really like those xplorer hard cases. Anyone with zoomed in install pics, mounting point please thanks :)

Ther was no decent capacity hards available when I got my bike, so I salvaged my givi racks from the BMWF800R and cat and welded them to fit the MT(FZ). I used 5mm stainless strap and modded the centre rear to make them closer to the frame ( ie not as wide). I also made a mount and Carbon intermediate splash guard that the stock(ish) micro fender and rear light bolt onto.
fb8bd1ee-698e-4d30-87c8-6fb24fef0428.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 7 months later...
If top boxes are an option, I recently made a rack for about $70 in parts. Made from UV-resistant polymer board, a damaged rear seat and machine knobs to secure the case. I plan mounting a large pelican/condition one case for road trips once the weather improves.  ysqb75T.jpg

That's awsome! Trying to figure out how to do exactly this! Did you just drill through the seat?

• 1 year later...
On 2/29/2016 at 9:49 AM, bmx2damax said:

I have the v35 saddle bags on mine. I absolutely love them

I'll take some photos later and up load them

Have you any clear up close pictures?

Thanks

Archived