The MT-07 Forum

Suter at the Isle of Man... Oh my, YES!

recurveshooter

recurveshooter
So please don't get me wrong... I LOVE my FZ but for those of us that rode or raced 2 strokes back in the day it's pretty exciting seeing 2 strokes being allowed to race again at the IoM. You young ones and newbies are so lucky to be riding bikes like the FZ... having an engine with great power and torque characteristics it's a real pleasure to ride. BUT... racing two strokes were truly awe inspiring. They were LOUD... and they made virtually no power at all for the first three quarters of their power band and then came on like bats out of hell. Absolutely VICIOUS power. One of the reasons we now race four strokes is they are easier to control, especially with modern electronics. I hope that two strokes will be allowed to benefit from electronic aids and return to the international race scene as they sure did put on a show! - recurveshooter

p.s. - In those days I raced a Yamaha TD-1B and rode a Yamaha RD350 on the street. A couple of fast little suckers...

recurveshooter
P.S. - I forgot to mention the important stuff. It's a 576cc V-4 producing 195hp at 13,000 rpm and weighing in at 280lbs. By comparison last years Motogp Ducati made 245hp BUT weighed 345 lbs. Pounds per HP is about equal on both bikes.

I look back with great fondness on the days when me an my buddies were all running around on 2 stroke 80cc motocross bikes, mostly RMs, YZs, and the category dominator the KX. You had to rev the hell out of them and it was a blast. There was barely any power until you made them scream and then they just took off. 

I still want to pick up a minty used 125 motocrosser, an RM or a CR, just to relive some of that.

And didn't somebody here post a race from Laguna Seca when they were still racing on two-strokes. I remember watching it a bit, and even the best in the world couldn't keep the front end down. They had to control wheelieing throughout the race. 

• Global Moderator

I didnt think laguna could handle the 2strokes
Isnt there a sound limit there of like 100db?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

You want fun. CR85 honda motor with 28HP in a Hinda rs125 chassis. All I can say is thank god for reed valves...\\

RS125 chassis/cr85motor:
CIMG0001.jpg

Even weirder. CR85/Honda VTRspada chassis VERY modified with carbon all sorts of stuff including the entire rear subchassis

010910%202.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I used to have a Yamaha DT100 (2-stroke) and loved it but after one of my brothers took it on an unauthorized ride one day and messed it up I almost bought a used but good looking RD 350. After test riding it no sale, the forks were slightly bent backwards. What a shame, it ran like a scalded banshee. If I had the money to play with I would buy my favorite 2-stroker just to listen to it snap-crackle, pop like a dragster sitting at the line.

[video src=https://youtu.be/_lvolnobTVM]

Beemer

Archived