The MT-07 Forum

1st oil change , 150 or so miles (pics of oil quality)

crsnhppr

I just went ahead and used the same oil I used on my DRZ since it did just fine and never had issues and ran very well with it. I know the bikes are a bit different but the principle is the same. Used a hiflow filter because same deal as drz, if it aint broke dont fix it type deal. Did what i could to take pics of the oil that came out of the bike. It was quite dirty looking, brownish , good bit of sparkle to it so thats good . I went ahead and did my first change early because this is my only source of transportation so I want everything to try to be really good inside and clean and such. I will do a 2nd oil change between 4 and 600 miles, then switch to a full synthetic at around 8 possibly...idk may just stick with this stuff because if i keep oil changes at what I like (800-1k miles) then whatever I use should suffice fine.

Additionally I just torqued the oil pan drain bolt to pretty firm but below the factory spec, didnt use torque wrench but I know im at most 8 pounds below factory, and hand tightened filter to firm.

LVDRkSZ.jpg

TqelNDX.jpg

t5hOwxX.jpg

• Global Moderator

You call that dirty oil? You would not like how mine looked. I had it changed at 600 miles by a local shop so did not see that. The 2,000 and 4,000 mile changes had oil that was pretty dark. The synthetic I have in now looks good through the sight glass. I guess I will know for sure when I do the next change.

twowheeladdict

Wow! You must turn a logoff fasteners to be able to estimate the torque. I use a torque wrench to keep from over tightening fasteners.

Are you planning to keep the bike a couple hundred thousand miles?

Most people don't enough miles on a bike to justify more frequent oil changes.

Also, how many miles you ride the bike every day can factor into oil change frequency. Short rides are worse than long ones.

2015 FZ-07

my daily routine is at minimum a 24 mile to and from work , I am hoping to keep it running well at mileage like - XXX,XXX. I'd be tempted to put a torque wrench on the bolt and filter I tightened to see how close I am, but I know its alright that sucker was really on there good so I know it was overkill and anything I put into it would suffice. On off days Ill ride the heck out of it, also I am not doing the recommended break in where you go easy on the engine, I dont keep it at a given rpm for too long and I do hard and soft pulls intermittently. Ill try to keep track of the bike as I go and can do more write ups as needed. Amazing bike though. Lacking some fueling refinement, but ecu flash will take care of that. Good job yamaha.

Archived